How do you archive for your HD Tivo?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by k.Trout, May 9, 2006.

1. k.Trout

k.Trout New Member

Sep 14, 2004

Advertisements

I love my HR10-250. I have it filled up with shows that I don't want to delete and must somehow find some room in order to be able to record more. I have copied some of it to DVD but in order to do that you have to use S-Video and it comes out a dissappointing standard definition quality. The beauty of the HD vanishes! Ouch! I have considered D-VHS but I shudder to go back to tape and have to rewind, ff etc. There is talk that HD-DVD and maybe Blu-ray will have recording capability but all I have heard is "it will come later" and no firm estimate on when the recorders will be available. I heard someone say next year. That's too long for me.

This all leaves me thinking that the best alternative for the present is to add a hard drive to the HD-Tivo and get more available hours in that way. I worry about that since D* is going to mpeg-4. So far it seems like the best alternative.

I would be very grateful to hear how any of you might solve this problem. Perhaps most are more detached than myself and just use the delete button. I'm a big NFL fan and love to have the games to watch during the offseason and beyond. What do you do?

2. thepackfan

thepackfan Member

May 21, 2003
    Plano, TX
    There are ways to extract video from the HR10-250. I have a dvd of last years final Packer game(thought it might be Bretts last). I kept most of the interesting plays, including all scores. The video is about 25 min. long kept as a HD mpg. My dvd player will play this file. Extraction is a no no on this board. If you need more info google.

3. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    yup, if you really need them in HD, add another or a bigger hard drive. and if you need more you can add them and swap out as needed. maybe that would tide you over till/if they come out with hd dvd/blu ray recordable machines that will take hd input.
    you should find 250-300bg drives as low as $69-89 now and one of the big electronics stores had a 500gb this week for about $229
    i archive some hd off to a pioneer hdd dvd recorder and it looks pretty good even in 480i, sure not HD but acceptable for now.

4. dave3

dave3 2 yr old twins, help

Oct 28, 2003
    Great Neck,...
    If you are good with computers you can use the zipper, do a search of these forums, and with a combination of other tools available at the other forum, I am not allowed to post the link, but if you look hard enough you will know the "deal" hint hint, you can archive your shows.

I save my shows on a 1 terabytre Nas server that I built, which will soon be full.

A warning. It takes a long time to transfer shows.

It would be much easier to simply add a 500 gig hardrive to your tivo. that will add about 60-100 hours depending on the bitrates of the programs you record.

5. thumperxr69

thumperxr69 New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Central IL

Advertisements

Well Trout we are spoiled (including me). The downrez to DVD does suck losing all that quality but there is hope around the corner. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Obviously HD-DVD is already out and Blu-Ray is coming this summer. Check for some rabid individuals. :p AVSforum There is a lot of good info here.

T

6. k.Trout

k.Trout New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Thank you all for helping me "deal" with this. Sounds like it may be best to simply beef up the HD Tivo with a huge drive and see how it goes. Is it worth it to buy a kit from someone like weaknees?

7. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    I agree. There is currently no good archive alternative, and so the best alternative is to install the biggest drives you can get, and hope the Blu-Ray recorders become affordable in two years. I have done 3 Weaknees upgrades, and I can't say enough good about them. They also use tried and true drives, so you don't have to worry about whether saving $60 by getting that bargain-basement drive at Fry's will leap up and bite you in the keister 6 months down the road.

They have 500G drives for $399, which will add 65 HD hours, but the best bargain/capacity ratio seems to be the 400G drive for $249, which adds 53 hours. I put a 400 in each of my HR10-250's, and so I like to now think of them as "HR10-650's" :D. And guess what...by the end of the May ratings period they will both be full...166 hours of HD to play back over the summer.

And get the extra fan and fan bracket for $9, which lowers the internal temp about 10 degrees for two drives below the original temp for one drive...good insurance.

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Just add two 750GB drives for 1.5TB capacity. Or are we only able to add one 750GB drive right now?
    I'm done with archiving. I have several Terabytes of HD recordings from 2001 to 2004 and it's time for me to delete them. Along with several Terabytes of DVDs stored also I'm done with SD DVDs also. Unfortunately most of my drives are 200GB to 300GB back when I paid $250 to $300 per drive. they aren't even worth $50 dollars used now and I have over 30 drives filled with crap that I will never watch.