How do I use multiswitch for dual recording on DVR

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by rrosenbe, Oct 24, 2006.

1. rrosenbe

rrosenbe New Member

Oct 24, 2006

Advertisements

I'm a noob and hope you can help. I have a DirecTV R-10 and have one coax coming out of the wall from my triple LNB (with 4x4 multiswitch) for this receiver. I want to be able to record two channels at the same time. So I bought a Zinwell 4x8 multiswitch thinking I could just hook the coax from the wall to the 18v input and hook two coax to the Zinwell outputs and to the back of my dvr. During setup I got good signal strength on both 101 satellites, but then could not detect any satellites in next step of setup. What am I missing? Is this the wrong multiswitch?
    THANKS!

2. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    You connect a multiswitch to the output lines from the LNB and then run lines from the multiswitch outputs to your receivers... I have a 2x12 Spaun multiswitch, with 2 lines from the LNB into the Spaun, and 12 lines (6 pairs of lines) to 6 different rooms

In short, to use both tuners in the R10 you need 2 lines "out of the wall"

Go back one level, to this Forum's main page, and click on the FAQ
    "LNB, Multiswitch, and DirecTV Signal FAQ's"

3. SeattleCarl

SeattleCarl New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    With a 3-LNB dish, you must connect all four lines from the dish to the inputs of the multiswitch for it to work properly.

Carl

4. Philly Bill

Philly Bill Everyday is Saturday

Oct 6, 2004
    Rotonda...
    Or just run two of the four lines from the dish to your R10 and forget the multiswitch. The multiswitch is only to give you more than 4 'lines' that are provided from the 'built in' multiswitch in the dish. If you need four lines or less total, no need for one.

EDIT: After rereading your original post, just run a second line from the dish (or multiswitch on the dish) to your TIVO. You can NOT split the one line comeing in into two. You must run two lines to your unit.

5. ihatecable

ihatecable Crazy Collies

Apr 16, 2003
    Long Island,NY

Advertisements

I have a quick question. Right now I need a switch for my series2 & a sat box so the way I see it, I only need a 3x4 multiswitch. Can I get a larger one say a 3x8 for future expantion? Or do I need all the output slots connected to something?

Thanks for anyone who can help me.

6. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    As far as I know, you MAY have unused multiswitch outputs