How do I use 3 TiVo's in same room?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MadGreek, Apr 18, 2007.

1. MadGreek

MadGreek New Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Texas

Advertisements

I know this has been discussed before in these forums, but I just cannot locate the threads.

Right now I have one Series 3 and one Series 2 in the same room and use one remote to control both -- using DVR switch 1 & 2.

My problem is I want to add my new Series 2 DT in that same room, but have no idea how I can set this to work. I'm figuring I'll need to use two remotes, but after that I'm at a loss as to how to set this up.

If anyone can help me I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    You will need to use another remote for the third unit set to a different remote address than the other two. Or get a programmable universal remote, such as Harmony, to control all three.

3. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    The DVR 1-2 switch is not limited to remote addresses 1 and 2. The 1 and 2 indicate switch positions not the remote codes for the dvr's. You can use 1 and 2, but you can also use 3 4 5 6 7 8 and 9 as individual ("0" being universal) remote codes. For three Tivos you need another peanut remote or a universal remote that can use different tivo codes.

I use a Harmony 520 to control my three Tivos.

4. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    It would be easier just to get a Harmony Remote that controls up to 15 devices.

TV's, DVR's, Tivos, Home theater, the whole lot from On Remote.

5. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse

Advertisements

For some people, yes. For others, trying to set up a Harmony remote to use three different tivo remote codes can be a major pita and others may never figure it out.

6. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    It's in your TiVo manual.

7. MadGreek

MadGreek New Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Texas
    I don't mind using two TiVo remotes, but even looking at how to do this in the Viewer's Guide only explains how to control two DVRs, not three or more :(

8. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Here's the rocket science behind using two remotes for three Tivos.
    Set up the first remote and Tivo with remote code A for dvr switch position 1 and remote code B for the second Tivo using dvr switch position 2.
    Set up the third Tivo to use the second remote with remote code C for either or both of the dvr switch positions.
    Where A B and C are any of the 9 available remote codes (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9).

9. MadGreek

MadGreek New Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Texas

It sounds like rocket science to me ;-)

How do I set the remote code to A, B, C on the remote?

10. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
  11. taviz

taviz New Member

Mar 29, 2007

Just Curious.......Why would you do that?

12. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    For my set-up I have 3 at my Home Bar. 2 for the big TV and one for the TV behind the bar. It's great when people come over to the house and you can flip around to all the different sports shows in buffer. You can watch qualifying from the day before while watching practice and flip to a baseball game. If you're handy with the remotes and pause buttons it becomes seamless. :up:

13. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    [​IMG]

You follow the instruction that you've already found in the viewer's guide. So why ask how, if you already know where the instructions are?
    And you don't set the codes to A B or C, Those are simply letters showing that you use three different codes without telling you to use any specific codes so that you can choose your own. The codes are numbered 1 thru 9

14. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    I do it because I have one TV and there are a lot of programs that I record that conflict with each other. Adding more Tivo tuners alleviates the problem. With 4 tuners I have yet to have an unresolved schedule conflict.

15. MadGreek

MadGreek New Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Texas

Ahhh I was missing the concept, but I do have it now. Thanks for all the help!

16. MadGreek

MadGreek New Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Texas

I record a lot of shows which at times conflict with each other so I basically need more tuners.

17. Alarmcluck

Alarmcluck New Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Just curious.

When do you guys have time to watch all the stuff you record? My life has other things besides TV & TiVo (although both are important).

18. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Who says we watch everything? It is about always having something available to watch.

19. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    I have yet to watch all of the stuff I recorded last year and I may never watch it, but it'll be there when I need it.

20. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I find an hour or so in the morning, and an hour or so in the afternoon, and 2 or 3 hours in the evening. And that is with just one 180 Hr TiVo. I try to keep 1/3 free, rather sucessfully.