How Do I Undo Problem I Created with Tivo Desktop Plus?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sw10025, May 11, 2018.

1. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    Hardware: Tivo Series 2

Yes, I know its no longer supported, but I'm not a technical person and I've never gotten any other program to work to download Tivo programs to my computer. So its all I have, and I'm afraid I clicked on the wrong thing and messed things up and don't know how to fix it.

The Tivo Desktop wasn't properly downloading programs as usual, so I first ran a test connection and the Tivo was telling me there wasn't a connection. So I fiddled with it and got that back, and successfully did a test connection and updated my Tivo's clock. So then I tried to get the Tivo Desktop to connect to it, and it just wasn't making the connection. I normally would kill the process and restart it, but for some reason I looked for the option within the program to restart it from with the Tivo Desktop. I accidentally clicked (don't ask me why) on the option to change from Bonjour to Beacon. I thought "uh oh, I don't want to mess with that" and so when it asked me for administrator permission to let the program make changes, I said "no".

I then tried to click on the desktop icon to restart Tivo Desktop, and can't open it. I keep getting an error message:
    upload_2018-5-11_19-37-16.png

Well, Beacon doesn't appear to be on my computer anymore, or at least if it is, even though I did what the error message said - both in terms of Administrative Tools and restarting the computer - I can't find it. And I can't find any way to open Tivo Desktop to change it back. What can I do to fix this? Or am I out of luck? Thanks as always in advance for any suggestions and help.

2. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
  3. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    I have the plus key somewhere and heaven only knows where the install file is (somewhere on a hard drive somewhere) but I ran the only thing I had on my computer, the tivo-desktop-patch-setup executable file, hoping that would restore the defaults, and sure enough, that did the trick, and I was able to re-open the file. Thank you!

Mikeguy likes this.