How do I transfer taped Tivo show to my Mac

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by grey ghost, Apr 15, 2020.

1. grey ghost

grey ghost Member

Feb 1, 2010
    What software, what format do I use, etc. TIA

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
  3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
  4. grey ghost

grey ghost Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Ok, I've downloaded pyTivo and it connected to my Tivos flawlessly. I downloaded 2 football games I wanted to save to my Mac and those downloaded to the place I designated. My problem is now when I click on the downloaded shows, I can't watch them on iMovie or anything I currently have on my computer. Could somebody tell me the software I need to use to watch the games? Thanks in advance

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    When you download the shows, they would be a .Tivo type file, which is a Tivo encrypted video file. You would need to decrypt it with TivoDecode (included with KMTTG, PyTivo Desktop) and they will be either a .MPG or .TS file depending on the method downloaded from the Tivo.

6. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    In KMTTG, across the top you will see the green button, labeled START JOBS, then a box with next to it TS downloads, then metadata, then decrypt. Click the box next to decrypt for it shows a check mark.

7. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    It sounds a little too much for me. I have a Roamio plus. I could just hit "play" and let it record to a DVD recorder...or a VHS machine. Crappy alternatives I admit. Maybe if I follow your instructions I can use kmttg.