How do I stop avg from blocking tivo desktop downloads

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tootal2, Feb 26, 2011.

1. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005

Advertisements

tivo desktop downloads 20% to 80% of a show then says file not found. But if use msconfig to stop avg from loading at boot the problem goes away.

I dont think its avg firewall. since i still get problem after turning the firewall off. So something in avg virus scanner is stopping the downloads

What can i change in avg to fix this problem?

thanks

2. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    I fixed the partial downloads from tivo desktop by removing avg and swtching to webroot:)

I turned avgs firewall off and still got the partial download problem. but when i remove avg in msconfig The problem went away.

Wished i knew avg was cousing this problems 6 months ago. I been trying to fix the partial download problem for a very long time. I almost reformated my computer to fix this problem

thanks the help

i am very upset at avg

3. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I have been running AVG Free for years and never had a problem transferring shows from my S2DT or TivoHD to my WinXP netbook, laptop, or XPP workstation, using Tivo Desktop, v2.8.2. In the past, I used older versions without any problems, either. This is with various versions of AVG too, currently on 110.0.1204.

That's why I didn't answer your first post. I've never had a problem. My AVG doesn't have a firewall. I just use Windows XP built-in firewall, combined with my router.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm an impoverished cheapskate so I used the free version of AVG for quite a while until they quit supporting 98SE, at which point I switched to the free version of Avast. (I've since "upgraded" to XP)

It seems to work just as well as AVG.

5. eric1099

eric1099 New Member

Dec 28, 2006

Advertisements

I've never had the problem with AVG and I've been using it for years. Maybe you need to add an exception to the windows firewall settings?

6. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I checked out my windows firewall exceptions, and there are entries for...
    Bonjour
    Tivo:
    Curl Service
    Desktop UI
    HME Host Port (ten different ports, not sure why there are ten?)
    Server Service
    Transfer Service

But I don't see how this would be the OP's problem, if removing AVG seems to fix things.

7. eric1099

eric1099 New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    I use Zone Alarm which also seems to be the source of a lot of my networking issues. Still it's Interesting that it transfers 20-80% before stopping....

8. evanborkow

evanborkow Member

Mar 17, 2008
    I had a similar problem with Kaspersky but was able to fix it within their exclusion settings.

9. Mar 1, 2011 #9 of 10
    tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    I should of tired that. I never thought a virus scanner could couse this problem. I tried a lot of things to fix this problem. I must of spent over 100 hours trying figure out what the problem was.

10. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Anti-virus programs can wreak havoc with downloads. As mentioned previously, you should be able to configure the program to allow exceptions for programs such as TTG or kttmg and any others that it may be causing problems with. You should also be able to disable the AV program temporarily when performing transfers. Just don't forget to enable it when the transfer finished.