How do I name a TiVo HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by snickerrrrs, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Sep 2, 2018 #1 of 19
    snickerrrrs

snickerrrrs Tech-no Guide

Mar 30, 2006
    Southern...

Advertisements

I have a lifetime TiVO HD. It doesn't show up in Device Preferences on TiVo.com so I can't change the name. The CS Rep at TiVo suggested running Guided setup again and naming it there. I ran it twice but it never ask to name it. Do I need to change the zip code or change from antenna to cable or something to get the name prompt? Or is that only for newer models?

2. Sep 2, 2018 #2 of 19
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, its there under Device Preferences. I just got into my account and its there.

3. Sep 2, 2018 #3 of 19
    Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Mines is on Tivo.com also.

4. Sep 2, 2018 #4 of 19
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    So it shows up under active TiVo devices on the My account page on Tivo.com but not under the Preferences page (can you confirm it's showing as an active TiVo with the right TSN)?

Scott

5. Sep 2, 2018 #5 of 19
    snickerrrrs

Mar 30, 2006
    Southern...

Advertisements

My Premiere shows up but NOT my 652160 HD. Is it because it's no longer supported by TiVo?

6. Sep 2, 2018 #6 of 19
    snickerrrrs

Mar 30, 2006
    Southern...
    Yes it's in active devices but not in Device Preferences. It's probably not important but it's super annoying. I also found an old Directv DVR-40 has lifetime.

7. Sep 2, 2018 #7 of 19
    HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    No, I still have an HD (652160) and 2 S3 OLED (648250) with lifetime service on my account and all 3 show up under Device Preferences.

Sounds like something TiVo has to fix if it's showing up under active but not device preferences. :(

Scott

8. Sep 2, 2018 #8 of 19
    snickerrrrs

Mar 30, 2006
    Southern...
    The CS Rep from India or Philippines didn't know the answer. Maybe I need to call again. She was able add it to my TiVo account without any info about the original owner. I was already using it at home, all she asked for was my zip code on the TiVo.

9. Sep 3, 2018 #9 of 19
    HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    So it was just added to your account? That's additional information that you had not mentioned. How long has it been on your account and does the HD show the correct MAK?

Scott

10. snickerrrrs

Mar 30, 2006
    Southern...
    August 23. So like 11 days ago. She said rerun Guided setup but I never saw Name Your TiVo as a choice.

11. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    MAK was a key part of that question.

12. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I don't think that's an option on the HD. I think the newer ones might give that option (trying to remember when we did our Roamio a few years ago but I had already named it online before it even arrived so it had the right name selected).

But yes, about the MAK address? Look on the HD under Messages & Settings -> Account & System Information -> Media Access Key and make sure that matches your MAK that you see on your account on TiVo.com.

Scott

13. snickerrrrs

Mar 30, 2006
    Southern...
    MAK? You guys were talking in code. Thanks Scott... Media Access Key... Yes it has the correct MAK on TiVO.com So, the MAK is unique to your account Not the individual TiVos. Both show the same key in Settings, Account and System information. So I'm probably spinning my and your wheels wanting to name the TiVo HD. As long I can see the shows on the other TiVos there's really no reason to name the HD other than clarity about which is which I guess. My first TiVo was in 2005 a Directv R-10 but these are my first "real" TiVos. I'm cutting the cord, so having an OTA TiVo is a must. To cushion the shock, I think Hulu will be a must. (any of you have an opinion on this?)

Bottom line Thanks for all the help.

14. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You will not get anything other than Netflix (only the watch stream list) on the Series 3. Its quite limited, unlike Premiere and above, on v20.7.x.

Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Amazon Prime, Plex, etc are on the newer models (Premiere and up).

15. snickerrrrs

Mar 30, 2006
    Southern...
    Thanks for the info. I have a Premiere in the main room, plus PS4 and Fire TV Pendant (Netflix is a lot faster on it over the Premiere). And a Roku in the Bedroom where the TiVo HD will live. I'm hoping th newer TiVos will continue to drop in price. I saw a couple Roamios on Craigslist for $300 with lifetime service... still a little high for me. My HD was $10 at a Thrift store with LIfetime. When I opened it up to upgrade the hard drive, I found a 1TB instead of the 160GB.. a pleasant surprise.

16. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Thje price won't be coming down. Just for the lifetime (All-in) service is currently about $550.

17. A2JetGuy

A2JetGuy Member

Jan 23, 2013
    I’m so glad you posted this!
    I’d like to change the box’s name but I’m having the same problem with my TiVoHD. It shows up under active TiVo devices on the My account page on Tivo.com but not under the Preferences page. CS has been no help.

I’ll keep working on a solution and I’ll post if I figure something out.

18. A2JetGuy

A2JetGuy Member

Jan 23, 2013
  19. Mr Tony

Mr Tony formerly known as "unclehonkey"

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    My TivoHD shows up under preferences
    Untitled.jpg