1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I move my Yule Log?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by HarleyRandom, Nov 27, 2018.

1. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    The recording was made in 2009 on a Series 2. It's some of the best Christmas music I have and I don't want to lose it. The same TV station did a Yule Log the next year where the music wasn't nearly as good. But the Series 2 had problems a few years ago and someone in tech support said it was probably a hard drive issue and I could send the Series 2 to be repaired, which would delete everything. Turns out it was a glitch with Time Warner's upgrade to digital, but this problem led me to buy my Roamio. I'm lucky the machine still works. I have the Series 2 hooked up to a TV with a VR, and I have blank VHS tape. Assuming the VCR can record and is successful, then I have to hope I can still use the VHS tape, because I have several VCRs that have gone bad. Another option is to hook up a cable, which I have been told will allow me to move content to my computer. How would that work?

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Why don’t you just transfer the recording from the Series 2 to the Roamio? That seems like the easiest solution. If you want to move the show to your PC, you can use the program kmttg to transfer and you should be able to copy right from the Series 2. From reading this post I’m not sure what is the main task you want to accomplish.

krkaufman likes this.
  3. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    First question would be which series 2. If it has an ethernet port, smooth sailing. If it just has the phone and USB, bad times. Depends how much you want that program, but I believe weaknees has the adapter for fifty bucks.

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    An easy solution, pick up a TiVo Wireless G adapter, which has a USB cable/plug that plugs into the Series 2 box's USB port. Mine has been rock solid for years. Often available (including currently) on eBay and Craigslist for $10-$15, used.

5. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    One thing I don't want to do is put another show on my Roamio. It's nearly full. I can't say I want the program enough to pay $50. I don't know the specifics about what Series 2 I have.

6. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    This is the back of my Toshiba Series 2 TiVo box. It does not have an Ethernet port--network connections to the box are made through the USB port (2 over from the phone line connector on the left side, going towards the center).

[​IMG]

The cable from the TiVo Wireless G Adapter plugs into the USB port. The adapter:

[​IMG]

The adapter currently can be found at eBay at a whopping $9.90 price (used/like-new condition; shipping included).
    TiVo® - Wireless-G USB Network Adapter | eBay

Attached Files:

7. Dec 3, 2018 #7 of 12
    HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    When I figure out how to connect the machine to the Internet, how do I actually move the program?

8. Dec 3, 2018 #8 of 12
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You connect the machine to your router.

9. Dec 3, 2018 #9 of 12
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Just for accuracy, you don't have to connect the Series 2 TiVo box to the Internet, just to your home network. (Having said that, if you add the TiVo Wireless G Adapter to your Series 2 box and set the box's settings to use it, assuming that you have an Internet connection, your TiVo box indeed will use that to reach TiVo over the Internet for TiVo Guide data, etc.)

One thought just occurred to me: is your Series 2 box still under a subscription with TiVo (either a Lifetime subscription or annual/monthly)? If not, TiVo doesn't allow you to transfer content off of it, although your particular box might let you connect it to another device like a VCR or DVD recorder to make a copy of a show (I don't recall if that capability lasts even if the TiVo box is no longer subscribed--I think it does).

Another question: is your Roamio box still on the earlier user interface (often referred to as TiVo Experience 3 (TE3)), or is it on the new user interface, TE4/Hydra? If it's on the old, once the old Series 2 box is on your network (and if it still has a subscription), it should appear listed on the Roamio's Shows listing towards the bottom--you then go into that, choose the show you want to transfer a copy of onto the Roamio box, and choose the transfer option.

And/or otherwise, you can install a transfer program such as freeware pyTivo Desktop onto your networked PC. When you run the program, it will connect to your Series 2 box (as well as your Roamio box) over your home network and list the shows on your Series 2 box (and the Roamio), and then you can choose which shows you want a copy of transferred to your PC. (Once again, this requires that your TiVo box have a current subscription.) This could be attractive to you, to save shows from your 2 TiVo boxes onto your PC, and make room on the boxes --I know that you said that your Roamio box is getting full. If you have pyTivo Desktop's "decrypt" (read, convert) setting checked, pyTivo Desktop, when it transfers a copy of a show, will convert the more unique file format that TiVo stores shows in (.tivo) to the more universal .mpg format, which most PC video players will play.

pyTivo Desktop, which was developed by one of the moderators here, is easy to install and use--if you have questions about its options and settings, you can ask people here. The program is available here: Easier to use pyTivo.

10. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    I have a lifetime subscription for all three machines. I haven't checked to see if the Series 2 can be connected directly to the Internet. If it can. it would plug in to the same combination modem/router as my desktop. Guide data and so on is still being provided by phone.

I don't know what the user interface is on the Roamio but it is nearly full and I don't want to add anything. The Series 3 is in an even worse situation. While it doesn't show percentages, every time I try to save a program I get "won't record" warnings now.

11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    My recommendation: consider picking up the TiVo Wireless G Adapter mentioned in post #6 above (in fact, the specific auction item I linked to in the post last week still is available); and hook it up to your Series 2 TiVo box (via the box's USB port) and change the box's Settings to use an Internet Network connection. Your Series 2 box now will be on your home network.

At that point, using the easy-to-install-and-use PC freeware pyTivo Desktop software program I mentioned in post #9 above, you can transfer a copy of your Yule log show from your Series 2 box to your PC (as mentioned in post #9), and enjoy it there or move the show to other devices for enjoying.

With pyTivo Desktop installed, you'll also be able to transfer copies of other shows on your Series 2 box, your nearly-full Series 3 box, and your nearly-full Roamio box to your PC or an external drive attached to it, for holding there/viewing/archiving, and can make some more room on your TiVo boxes by deleting those shows off of those boxes (as you now will have a copy on your PC, which you always can transfer back to your TiVo boxes if you want (with the possible exception of the Roamio box, if it has the new TE4 user interface on it, rather than the earlier, standard TE3 user interface which has been around for many years--you likely would know if your Roamio box has the new TE4 user interface on it, as it is very different from the earlier user interface)).

TE3 user interface:

[​IMG]

TE4 user interface:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    If the Yule Log recording is that important, deleting a few shows from any of your other TiVos should make it easy to transfer it over.

unclehonkey likes this.