1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I Kill Alexa

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jeff92k7, May 19, 2018.

1. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    so this new amazon Alexa thing is in my now playing list and I can’t find anyway to get rid of it. It’s just more clutter, just like the “get new experience” garbage.

Is there any way to get rid of these garbage ads? All I can find is posts with people talking about Alexa crashing their TiVo and nothing about how to get rid of this garbage.

headless chicken and murgatroyd like this.
  2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What software version are you running?

On Encore, you’d normally hide an app by unchecking it within the ‘Add & Manage Apps’ dialog.

3. keenanSR

keenanSR Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Santa Rosa CA
    Implementing Alexa creates ads?

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No, the OP is characterizing the ‘Alexa’ and ‘Get New Experience’ apps as ads.

edit: I don’t have a problem with them appearing within ‘Apps,’ though we should be able to hide them, if desired; however, they shouldn’t be displayed within My Shows, since they’re not video apps.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  5. keenanSR

keenanSR Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Santa Rosa CA
    ^Thanks

krkaufman likes this.
  6. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    "Alexa...how do I kill Alexa?"

Alexa: "WHAT?!? What did I do? We were just getting to know each other!"

aaronwt, rgrounds and keenanSR like this.
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I did appreciate her response to “what’s the meaning of life?”

8. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    Yeah, they are advertising some experience or feature that I don’t have or want. There are so many things at the bottom of my shows list that there are no longer any shows on the bottom page of the list. The only apps I have turned on are Netflix and the amazon prime apps. But add to that my other TiVo’s, the recently deleted folder, and then these two links, there’s no room for shows in that part of the my shows list.

And it sounds like there’s no way to disable the links, based on your post. :-(

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    {Channel Up}

BrettStah likes this.
  10. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Well, if someone were to ever given me a device with Alexa, I suspect I'd prefer to use a shotgun to kill it (though I'd have to buy a shotgun first). I assume the incessant marketing will eventually dry up. I also wonder why they made the "vox" remote if they were just gonna do alexa integration anyway. Seems like a waste to have done both.

11. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Except that, at least right now, I think, the devices kinda/sorta have different emphases (who knows if it will evolve): the TiVo VOX remote seems to have an emphasis on finding content, Alexa focusing on more mechanical changes (such as changing a channel, pausing playback, etc.).

Personally, I would have liked an optional TiVo VOX remote that sits in a powered holster (like some Harmony remotes) so that it can always be on and listening, that does both sides of the coin. But perhaps that level of technology is beyond what one could reasonably expect from a DVR company.

12. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I'm with you, Jeff! This new crap in 'My Shows' is irksome, to say the least. Before, both of these items were located in 'Apps' and you could uncheck them. That has changed, obviously.

I'm going to hope that Tom is right and they will back off the pressure and give us the choice back to delete them from that page. I would also like them to get rid of that stupid 'What to Watch Now' one, or at least make it a choice also.

I only have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and HBO Go. Now all this other junk down there aggravates me. For me, it's kind of a 'clutter' thing. I like a clean working surface and anything that doesn't belong there needs to NOT be there. Yeah, I'm a bit rigid about that but only because I purchased this particular license (SN) and I think I should have the choice as to what is displayed in 'My Shows' on MY machine. No clutter! :D

murgatroyd and jeff92k7 like this.
  13. Megamind

Megamind I'm Feeling Blue

Feb 18, 2013
    Alpha Centauri
    For purposes of clarity, I believe what you and some others are referring to is the "SmartBar" that appears below the horizontal menu bar on the Home screen. Even though "My Shows" is highlighted by default on the Home screen, the actual "My Shows" screen is only accessed after you click through.

The SmartBar is supposed to predict what you might want to watch based on your prior usage and therefore should get 'smarter' over time. Personally, I have yet to see much evidence of that, as certain shows I never watch or record and some I can't even get appear there too often. Worse, as has been noted, you can't clear or 'thumbs down' these suggestions to rid yourself of them.

And now, although I haven't seen it, it sounds like they might be using that space for advertising new features? I hope it isn't a prelude to adding more advertising there. Ugh.

14. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I'm not sure I understand to what you refer here, but I actually was talking about 'My Shows'. When you click on 'My Shows' now, and go into that page, they have put the Alexa thing and the Hydra thing IN there below your shows and actual apps. Used to be that you could go into 'My Apps' and delete this stuff, but they took that choice away. This is only after you receive the '42' update. Before that, you had the choice in My Apps to uncheck those items and keep them out of your shows list.

15. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's the real issue. They took away our control. As a group, we like control. Also, it happened about the same time as the RC42 release. That doesn't mean that it was due to the RC42 release. I'm going with coincidence for this one. I don't have many items in My Shows, so like you I don't like having to move over the two new trespassers. I can live with the duplicate WTWN, so I'm willing to do some give and take.

sharkster likes this.
  16. Megamind

Megamind I'm Feeling Blue

Feb 18, 2013
    Alpha Centauri
    Ah, so not TE4/Hydra. Missed that. o_O:)

sharkster likes this.
  17. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Yeah, I'm kind of big on being able to have reasonable control over the electronics I purchase. I buy the license and think that I should have control over the things that don't do harm to an OS.

To be fair, however, I know pretty much nothing about how these things work so maybe it's my ignorance. Still - before this latest, you could delete that which you didn't want in 'My Shows' so I cannot fathom how you suddenly wouldn't have that choice.

I think you are right, Joe, that this was coincidental to the 42 release. That thought had not occurred to me because it was actually later that day that these things changed, probably with one of the regular connections. Hoping it's a glitch that gets fixed! :)

murgatroyd likes this.
  18. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm sure it wasn't during the usual service connection and I'm pretty sure it was about when I had my VCM connection. A glitch? I don't know. How about a misinformed decision?

Problem with this thread title. It's not really about killing Alexa, as funny as that sounds. It about removing the Alexa and TE4 upgrade items from My Shows.

19. David Knowles

David Knowles Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Go to the apps menu then add & manage apps. You can remove the ones you don’t want

murgatroyd likes this.
  20. thefisch

thefisch Member

Jul 25, 2015
    I checked there and Alexa (or upgrade option) are not shown and options to uncheck. I've already paired mine roamio plus with alexa and the option didn't go away. I think I am stuck looking at them. I mainly want to hide the upgrade option so no one else in the house selects it.