How do I get my "home video" stuff on my Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by xberk, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1 of 37
    xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Just getting my new Premier box running. It's not hooked up to anything yet except an Ethernet cable coming from my router so I can access the built in Internet stuff, YouTube etc.

Wondering how I can transfer my own "home videos" to my Tivo to build a library of my own "home videos" .. ?

2. Dec 5, 2011 #2 of 37
    xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Just did a quick search on this topic and discovered Tivo Desktop should do the job...I think .. most of my "home video" has been rendered to Mp4 H264 format or Mpeg2 .. Tivo Desktop seems to allow those formats to be transfered to my Tivo...

They make is sound easy .. is it?

3. Dec 5, 2011 #3 of 37
    Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    I don't know anything about the Premiere; I have the previous generation Tivo 3's and HD's. But I never much liked Tivo Desktop as it glitched sometims and I wanted turnkey and family-friendly, so I use pytivo and streambaby. These are extremely easy to install and use if you have a Mac (a very old but still fine application called pyTivoX installs them both) and not too bad either if you only have a commodity pc.

But truth be known we're gravitating away from Tivo as a platform in favor of a computer-based media center where the computer plays the files (sometimes sourced from the Tivo but mostly from elsewhere). We like Plex for this purpose.

4. Dec 5, 2011 #4 of 37
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I use PyTivo, but you have to make sure your Tivo has Tivo service subscription (required), and in your tivo.com account, under DVR Preferences, to have Transfers and Downloads checkbox'd. As well as have a Media Access Key, assigned to your account, and Tivo. The key is used in Desktop, PyTivo etc., to decrypt

5. Dec 5, 2011 #5 of 37
    xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Thanks for the reply guys .. pyTIVO looks like a way to go .. was completely unaware of PLEX .. I run a Win7 PC .. Probably will give Tivo Desktop a try for $25 .. my wife would find that the easiest to deal with if the videos could just appear like everything else in her PlayList in folder. Seems like the TIVO solution is to transfer the videos to the Tivo hard drive so they are not streamed but look like everything else to the TIVO for playback. Does pyTIVO do the same thing?

6. Dec 5, 2011 #6 of 37
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Yes, but pytivo also allows you to push these to the TiVo from your PC. They will then show up in the NPL.

Tivo Desktop is free- you need to only pay for the Plus version.

7. Dec 5, 2011 #7 of 37
    xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Will the free version handle video? I thought you needed to pay for the version that transfers video.

8. Dec 5, 2011 #8 of 37
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    The free version of TiVo Desktop will handle video transfers back to your TiVo, as long as it's in specific formats (MPEG-2). It won't do any transcoding.

There's a link in my sig to a blog post I wrote a while back about the different third-party software options available. There are also some good FAQs on this forum (I think they're still in the TiVo HD area).

9. Dec 5, 2011 #9 of 37
    caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    The free version will download and upload. The plus converts the program where ipad can play it.
    I use kmttg to download and pytivo to push the programs to my tivo

10. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Thanks guys .. I'll start with the TIVO Desktop software and then compare with pyTIVO .. I really appreciate the help.

11. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    PyTiVo for sure. It works great. Runs on Linux, MacOS, and MS-Windows. Seems to handle just about any format via transcoding on the fly. Easily browse the directories of your computer from your familiar TiVo interface and watch anything immediately. For me it has been rock solid under Linux. Gotta love it.

12. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I tried the free Tivo Desktop. Mpeg2 files transfer just fine .. look good.

If I go with pyTIVO I could transfer Mp4 H264 files, right? .. But does that mean it transcodes them to Mpeg2 for Tivo? Sounds like that would degrade the quality. Is that the case? Tivo just uses Mpeg2 files?

13. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you grab the videos from the Tivo directly, it transcodes to .mpg and the file size increases.

PyTivo Push does not transcode. You can push a .mp4, .mkv and the size doesn't increase but stays relatively the same.

14. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    That's an advantage then. File size stays small. Generally MP4 is good enough for me, even at 1920 x 1080. Guess I'll have to hassle the pyTIVO install and set up .. everyone seems to really like this software. I'm running a PC - Win7 64 bit.

15. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Yes, sometimes, yes, no.

Pytivo will look at the file you are trying to get from the TiVo. If it is in a TiVo-supported format (video container, video codec, and audio codec) AND at a compatible resolution AND bitrate, it will simply transfer it. If it is not, then it will transcode it on the fly. Yes, some video quality is lost when transcoded, but the alternative is not being able to watch it at all.

16. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Yep, yep, and it took about 5 min to get it working under Linux. Don't know about under MS-Windows (since I don't use it), might be a few extra steps, but it is well documented.

17. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Man this pyTIVO is clunky. But it's free and it does work. I'm an old guy. But I've been messing with computers since about 1985 .. talk about clunky .. does anyone remember "basic" or "Dbase" .. Anyway .. forget that (off topic).. the WIKI install instructions for Windows were good .. I have pyTIVO up and running.

THanks for the encouragement. If everyone had not "loved" this thing so much I would have spent $25 bucks with Tivo to get the PLUS version of Desktop... as it is I would have spent the $25 but there was no immediate download. That did it. I installed the pyTIVO.. Got no time to wait for discs in the mail. My first Mp4 file went over to my TIVO without a problem -- and very fast actually .. running WMCBRINE for now.

IS THERE ANY WAY TO MAKE FOLDERS IN THE TIVO PLAYLIST "MY SHOWS" TO TRANSFER INTO? .. I have lots of home video to transfer. More than 100 files ..

18. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
  19. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Thanks for the help but the link you gave doesn't seem to deal with Folders. I found something that did here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=435365&highlight=folders

NormB's post is #5 and it was very helpful. In fact, it worked ! .. It all has to do with feeding TIVO the right meta information, which looks like this:

title : Folder Name
    SeriesTitle: Folder Name
    episodeNumber : 1
    isEpisode :true
    seriesId : SH999901

NormB's insturctions were written two years ago, but they still apply, even on a Premier unit. With a little trial and error, I got it to work.

The key is the last line, the "seriesId" .. This makes sense. All the TV shows you would record on a Tivo have a specific seriesId embedded in the shows video file. When you record the first episode of the show, Tivo puts it on your playlist. When you record the second one, Tivo sees that another show in your playlist has the same seriesId. Bingo! Tivo creates a folder and puts both shows in the that folder. Shows might have the same name, but to be in a folder together, they must have the same seriesId. Names alone don't cut it. Shows are stored in the folder with the last one recorded at the top. Hence I had to "push" my home videos over last one first.

This method is far from slick -- but using pyTivo and NormB's instructions, it worked.

Now ! .. Has anyone ever created a SUB FOLDER ?

20. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Told you that you would like it :)
    I am also using WMCBRINE.

I don't think subdirectories are possible. Sorry.

But it really shouldn't matter much. You should not need to be transferring tons of stuff to the Premiere all at once. Just grab what you want from the computer when you want/need it. As long as the stuff on your computer is properly organized in subdirectories, everything will be easy as pie.