How do I get into Dr. Who?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mitchb2, Sep 12, 2007.

1. mitchb2

mitchb2 New Member

Sep 30, 2000
    I've never seen Dr. Who, but everyone keeps telling me I need to.
    All I know about the show is that there have been many incarnations. Is that right?

What do I need to watch to get into it?

2. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    For the modern viewer, I'd suggest starting with the 2005 version.

3. tai-pan

tai-pan New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    semi-rural GA
    Watch the season with Christopher Eccleston first. The first ep is called Rose but it's not the best episode. They get much better. If you don't like the show by the end of the season then there's probably no hope for you.

4. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    That's the 2005 version.

5. tai-pan

tai-pan New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    semi-rural GA
    It takes some of us longer to type.

6. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    I just wanted mitchb2 to know they were one and the same version.

7. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I agree with the above posters. that's basically what I did since I barely remembered anything from when I was a kid. I even tried getting back into the old stuff after the new stuff, but it just isn't very good. I think watching the new stuff + reading about old stuff online is the best combination.

8. edc

edc Active Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Houston
    I'll be contrarian. If you are more interested in "Outer Limits" or "Twilight Zone" style twisty/bendy SF to the contemporary stuff, I'd start with the first episode, "An Unearthly Child." Almost all of Hartnell is definitely not for newcomers, but that first half hour is still magical, and gives you enough detail that you can go from there directly into T. Baker, Eccleston or Tennant.

9. mitchb2

mitchb2 New Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Thanks. I wasn't sure if I needed to see the old show or not.
    I'll go ahead and Netflix the new version.

I watched Torchwood last night and really liked it.

10. bnbhoha

bnbhoha Member

Nov 2, 2002
    I started to watch from 2005 season. My buddy was into the old doctor who. Basically, all you need to know is that the doctor is the last person of his race and he travels through time in the tardis which looks like a police box(kind of like a phone booth). Only thing I don't get is if he has this time machine thing, why can't he go back and save his people from whatever catastrophe happened. It takes a few shows getting used to and then you get hooked.

11. tgmii

tgmii Member

Feb 21, 2002
    New Jersey
    I haven't been able to get excited about some of the old stuff... but if I do, luckily there are years and years available. The two modern doctors are good though. Torchwood is just as good.

I ended up watching "Dr Who and the Daleks" which pre-dates the series, and is very different (not a time lord, etc...) Interesting to watch though... Daleks still talk the same.

Tom

12. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    You need to go way, way, way back if you want to seem some really hokey production values. ;)

13. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Exactly. Nowadays, Trekkies can make better productions in their garages.

14. edc

edc Active Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Houston
    "Dr. Who and the Daleks" and its sequel (both starring Peter Cushing) were bastardized productions of television stories with all the intelligence and subtlety sucked right out. Nowadays we'd call it a "reimagining," despite the fact the series was still running strong.

15. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Sit in the stall next to his and tap your foot.

16. tai-pan

tai-pan New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    semi-rural GA
    Torchwood has its good and bad points.

17. mitchb2

mitchb2 New Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Hasn't there only been one episode of Torchwood?
    I thought it was brand new. Is it not?

18. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    It aired in the UK last year.

19. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    I like, and own every old series DVD that's been released.

They are hokey, but some of the stories are good and the foundation of the current shows is spread throughout.

But like others, if you're new to it, the 2005 stuff will interest you more.

20. mportuesi

mportuesi As seen on TV

Nov 10, 2002
    San...
    That's explained (in passing) in several episodes. Though the Doctor and his companions travel all throughout time, as a result of time travel they have their own personal timeline that stands independent of the universe's normal flow of time. The Doctor's own personal timeline can't cross over itself without dire consequences.

So if the Doctor is at one point in space/time, he can't return to that point in space/time again -- in his own timeline -- to change his own future events. There is an Eccleston episode where the Doctor (against his better judgment) does exactly that, to indulge Rose's wish to see her dead father in the past. The bad things which happen form the bulk of the episode.

Another episode in the "classic" Doctor Who where this limitation plays an important part is the Peter Davison epsiode where a companion - Adric - is killed by the Cybermen. The Doctor's other companions beg the Doctor to go back in time to prevent Adric's death, and the Doctor simply refuses to honor the request, leaving Adric for dead in his current timeline.