How Do I Get Into Demo Mode

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mhoffa, Jan 7, 2006.

1. mhoffa

mhoffa New Member

Mar 5, 2005

Advertisements

I have read MANY MANY MANY posts on how to perform initial guided setup on a stand alone Series 2 TiVo with Vonage, but I do not see a screen prompt asking me if I would like to enter into "Demo" mode or "consumer" mode.

The hard drive on my 80-hr Series 2 crapped out about 3 weeks ago, I ordered a new 160-hr hard drive from WK and tried starting up with my wired ethernet adapter from the start, but no luck.

I normally use my wireless adapter for this particular TiVo, but took the wired adapter from my other TiVo to setup up the "new" TiVo.

As many people have experinced, trying to perform the initial guided setup without a landline is maddening.

I have tried specifying a 00000 ZIP code, using the 212 area code, entering ,#034 for the dialing prefix and actually was able to get all the way to the Program Call, but would get failing in some manner at the second step. Trying to show some patience, I pressed the select button to have the TiVo attempt the Program Call again...156 times!...and it never gets anywhere.

So I try to use the left arrow to go all the way back to the beginning of the initial setup but never see the option to go into demo mode which, according to the various posts I have read, would allow me to reset the TiVo and try the wired ethernet adapter again.

My wife and I just moved to a new location abot 5 months ago and don't have any friends in the area and I am not thrilled with dragging my TV and TiVo into work to try and use their land line.

I also am not interested in trying serial PPP, etc. I just want to set my TiVo into demo mode so I can have the same experience in making the initial guided setup a breeze with my wired ethernet connection.

Could someone kindly assist me and tell me HOW to enter into demo mode?

Many Thanks!

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    First do a clear and delete everything from the reset menu.

3. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Use ,#401 for the dialing prefix. Insert the wired adapter before powering on the Tivo and make sure you have a functioning DHCP server. Then as funtoupgrade suggests do a clear and delete to reset everything.