How do I get files transferred from PC to Tivo into Groups with Desktop Plus?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by bgc, Oct 19, 2011.

1. bgc

bgc Member

Jan 12, 2008
    I have several shows saved on my PC that I want to transfer back to the Tivo. When I look at the Now Playing List and choose Now Playing on "PC Name", it lists multiple episodes of the same show as a group. When you select the group and choose the eposodes to transfer, they are not being put into the Group on the Tivo but are listed individually in the NPL. How do I get this thing to put these shows back into the Groups on the Tivo?

One of the similar threads suggested when posting this said to publish a folder and set up an auto transfer but it didn't work for me, nothing was transferred when I dropped the files into the published folder.

Thanks,
    BGC

2. bgc

bgc Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Apparently you can't get there from here with Tivo Desktop. The publish folder/auto transfer trick won't work because Desktop won't auto transfer .tivo files.

I get that .tivo files aren't "web" videos, but it's still annoying.

I don't understand why the stupid files aren't put into groups when they are transferred back to the tivo anyway, they were in groups on the tivo before they were transferred to the PC to begin with.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    .TiVo files should group. The exception would be if the applicable series ID had expired from the TiVo's cache.

You may want to consider pyTivo. It will let you group arbitrarily via the "Push" mechanism (which is based on TiVo Desktop's auto folders, but implemented differently, and we do support pushing .TiVo files (with the help of tivodecode)).

4. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    pyTivo works great for pushing video files into folders on the Tivo. It does take a little more work the just using Tivo Desktop, but it works.

The only major downside I find is that the videos transferred to the Tivo are copy protected. This is a limitation of the Tivo push system.

A long time ago I read that Mr. McBrine was working on a way to get around this problem. Any progress????

5. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    No.

6. bgc

bgc Member

Jan 12, 2008
    I recently upgraded the HDD in my S2DT. The image was from another Tivo so I had to do a Clear and Delete Everything.

Is pyTivo all you need? I recall someone mentioning metagenerator?

Will pyTivo coexist with Tivo Desktop or does it have to be uninstalled?

Thanks

7. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    It will coexist. You don't need metagenerator. (You do want ffmpeg, tivodecode and tdcat for full functionality.)