How do I exclude Blockbuster?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by JimboG, Apr 19, 2011.

1. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Disregard, see my reply below.

I thought I remembered reading that you could exclude Blockbuster and/or Amazon from your sources of available programming. Is there a way to get rid of Blockbuster and to stop the TiVo Premiere from trying to get me to pay for Amazon rentals and purchases?

I'm an over the air viewer. I have an unlimited Netflix streaming account, so I'm happy to see Netflix results alongside the terrestrial HDTV programming that my TiVo offers. However, I'm getting a little sick of seeing a couple dozen standard def Amazon movies available for rent from $2.99 and up. Is there a way to tell my TiVo to get rid of overpriced standard def crap?

As an aside, does the Discovery Bar ever get any smarter? I gave Katie Couric, Dr. Oz, and The View three thumbs down each. Why on earth would I still want to keep seeing that crap in the Discovery Bar?:mad:

2. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Ok, maybe I was dumb before. Then again, I swear this option wasn't available when I first set up my TiVo Premiere.

If you want to get rid of unwanted video streaming services such as Blockbuster and Amazon, you have to activate your TiVo, upgrade to the latest software, and wait until your TiVo has the HD menus available. You might need a day or two worth of software and guide upgrades before this option will show up.

Go to Tivo Central -> Settings & messages -> Settings -> Channels -> Video Provider List. You then can remove Blockbuster if they still don't offer any HD content and remove Amazon Video on Demand if you don't want to pay per video rental if you don't have Amazon Prime. You also can remove Netflix, but it might make more sense to look into a Netflix account.;)

In theory you might be able to improve the Discovery Bar as well, though I think it might be like those buttons you press to make the light at the crosswalk turn faster. The button isn't hooked up to anything, but it gives you something to do while your time is being wasted.

Anyway, go to Tivo Central -> Settings & messages -> Settings -> Displays -> Improve Discovery Bar Recommendations. I turned Advertising and Partner recommendations down to "Less". (Grammar Nazi hat on: it should be "fewer", not "less", unless TiVo plans to offer us so many of these advertisements that they are far beyond count. On second thought, "less" seems unintentionally honest from TiVo.):p

3. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    in the menu for the video on demads services you have the option to opt out from their service

4. ckelly33

ckelly33 Member

Oct 29, 2004
    menu->messages & settings->settings->channels->video provider

5. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    smeek :cool: