How do I do these things while watching recordings?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by reds91185, Dec 19, 2017.

1. reds91185

reds91185 New Member

Jun 7, 2017

Advertisements

I have two scenarios that I cannot figure how to accomplish with the Bolt running 21.7.2.RC11 that I'm hoping someone here has already figured out. The significant other is close to giving up on TiVo because she is frustrated.

1. When viewing a recording, sometimes I wish to delete it before it reaches the end, usually live events that I extended out the time. The only way I know to do this is to go to TiVo Central, My Shows, select the recording, delete, delete.
    2. When viewing a recording (not live tv) and I press TiVo Central the recording continues to play in the upper right window. I can't figure out how to return to the recording without going back through My Shows and re-selecting the show that I'm currently watching. I've tried the Back button, Clear, Info, Up, Down, Left, Right...all with no success.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    1- Hit Left then Clear.
    2- Hit Zoom.
    Above applies to classic HDUI.

dfreybur and reds91185 like this.
  3. reds91185

reds91185 New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    I'll try these suggestions tonight. Since I'm on the Hydra UI and not the classic UI, does anyone know if the above still applies?

4. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Hydra is very different and I think you'll find that the easy ways to do a lot of things from the prior OS are just "gone"
    For deleting an item, I just FFW then skip to the end and it asks to delete, the "left to menu to delete" shortcut is long gone as is just exiting out to the previous My Shows menu.

reds91185 likes this.
  5. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017

Advertisements

Hydra:
    1. Info->More->Delete

2. To return to the recording from TiVo Central, press the Exit button (Zoom on Non-VOX remote). Pressing again will return you to TiVo Central (or to where you were before you pressed Exit). pressing Slow can turn the video window in Tivo Central off and will pause recording (can also be set in user Preferences).

TiVo_VOX_Remote-cart.jpg

I wish that deleting a recording could be accomplished with just "clear" when paused.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    dfreybur likes this.
  6. reds91185

reds91185 New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    I have the white non-Vox remote that comes with the white Bolt and does not have the Netflix smart button nor the Exit button but it does have Zoom so maybe that will take care of #2.

7. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Yes, Zoom was just re-named Exit on the VOX remote (same location on both remotes).

8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wow, you can't even left out at the end in the new UI?!?

woah..

9. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It's one of the bigger changes, left arrow goes to favorites in Hydra.
    I get what they were trying to do, they wanted to take out the inconsistent way the left arrow was *sometimes* back and sometimes not, but that left us with no easy shortcut.
    What I have yet to find a way around is "go to the episodes folder, play an episode, delete it, and it dumps you back at Main Menu".. NOT back in that shows folder with the other episodes.

Yeah, Hydra is THAT off the wall different in relation to the functions we've used for 17 years.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Try the 'Back' button as a substitute for the Left arrow. (Just to the left of the Left arrow on RF remotes)

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That sounds like a bug, or a design/coding oversight that is effectively the same.

What if you first use the Back button, instead of skipping to the end of the program to trigger the disposition dialog?

p.s. Quickest way to the end of a program is to just hold down the Advance button (30 sec skip).

12. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    For #1, that's why the remote needs a stop button. I can't tell you how many babysitters (i.e. people using it the first time) had problems simply stopping the recording.

reds91185 likes this.
  13. reds91185

reds91185 New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Back will only take you so far, then nothing.

14. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It will take you to your last tivo Central. Just like the left button did.

dfreybur likes this.
  15. reds91185

reds91185 New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Thank you!!! Holding down the Advance Button works perfectly for my scenario #1. Also thank you to JoeKustra for the Zoom button suggestion for #2. I never even considered that Zoom=Exit.

JoeKustra likes this.