How Do I Connect TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by lorion11, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Jan 9, 2006 #1 of 16
    lorion11

lorion11 New Member

Jan 9, 2006

Advertisements

I have my Cable Internet go directly into my cable box, out from my cable box I hook up my Apple Airport Express wireless router to which my iBook connects (wirelessly). How do I connect my TiVo so it can do its daily call?

I am a bit of a newbie to home networking, but I saw something about Hubs and Switches. I want my TiVo to be wired dirctely instead of wirelessly since my Tivo, cable, and router are all near each other.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did a search on several websites and didn't find my answer.

Thanks in advance!

2. Jan 9, 2006 #2 of 16
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    The Apple Airport is a router, so I assume it has wired ethernet connections? If so, then get an approved USB to ethernet adapter and connect to the router.

3. Jan 9, 2006 #3 of 16
    lorion11

lorion11 New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    It has USB and an ethernet plug that I use because it comes from the cable modem. I am not sure if a USB to ethernet Adapter would work. Because if I plug in the USB to the TiVo, where does the ethernet cable go?

4. Jan 9, 2006 #4 of 16
    titaniumtivo

titaniumtivo New Member

Mar 23, 2005
    You might make sure the Airport Express is compatible with the Tivo that you have.

If it is, then just plug a USB cable from the Tivo to the Airport Express.

See if that works, and let us know.

5. Jan 9, 2006 #5 of 16
    petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA

Advertisements

The airport express is a wireless only router so you have 2 choices. Either replace the airport express with a combined switch/router or use a wireless network adpater for Tivo. Personally I'd replace the airport express and go wired.

6. Jan 9, 2006 #6 of 16
    petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA

Won't work and don't try it. If you happen to find an A to A USB cable and try to use it, it could seriously damage both devices.

7. Jan 9, 2006 #7 of 16
    lorion11

lorion11 New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Is there any way to split the line? I still want to go wireless with my laptop. I have an old Linksys router but I had troubles with security.

8. Jan 9, 2006 #8 of 16
    dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    A hub or switch is essentially an Ethernet splitter.

9. Jan 9, 2006 #9 of 16
    petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    If you buy a wireless router such as Netgear WGT624 it supports both Wired and Wireless connections. Linksys and DLINK also make comparable devices, I have the Netgear. You could "split" the connection using a wired only router, but the difference in cost is minimal and this setup would be more prone to configuration issues.

Which linksys router do you have? Perhaps the forum can help you set it up.

10. lorion11

lorion11 New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Sorry to sound like such a novice, but I am learning a lot! But how can a switch or hub fit into my network? Where do I connect it in correlation to my cable box?

11. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Physically the switch or hub could connect between your cable modem and the airport express. However your cable company probably only assigns you one single IP address so you can only use one device at a time. A router with a NAT firewall, shares that single IP address between multiple device on a home network, which is why you probably need a firewall router as I suggested.

12. lorion11

lorion11 New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I have a Linksys WRT54G. I got a good signal through it but could never get it password protected.

13. lorion11

lorion11 New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I thought about trying this first and then going with the Linksys Router if I couldn't get it to work.

Thanks again for everyone's help! You saved me hours of trial and error!

14. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Just use the WRT65G, not sure why the iBook would have a problem, perhaps there's a MAC user about thsat can help with that part.

15. lorion11

lorion11 New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    And I would need a USB Adapter still, wouldn't I? To go from the router/port to the Tivo?

16. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Yes. A USB to Ethernet adapter such as the Netgear FA120. Go to www.tivo.com/adapters for a full list of supported wired adpaters. But pay close attention to the version requirements if you see a Linksys USB200M.