1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I connect soundbar

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Andrelaplume3, May 31, 2018.

1. Andrelaplume3

Andrelaplume3 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    I have a ViewSonic projector connected to my TiVo box via an HDMI cable. I have the ViewSonic projector connected to a set of computer speakers with a small subwoofer via three-and-a-half millimeter cable. I turned the speaker volume all the way up via the speaker volume knob then use the ViewSonic projectors remote control to lower the volume to the desired level. Most of the time that level is all the way up since this is in my basement and I have a dehumidifier currently running. This setup seems to work fine except I can only get the volume up so loud.... I believe it's being limited by the speakers... And sometimes if the washer is going and the dryers going and the dehumidifiers going I need it louder.

I bought a small inexpensive sound bar tonight to play with. The sound quality is actually worse than my computer speakers so it will go back however I have a question.

I disconnected the sound output from the projector and then connected the Soundbar directly to the TiVo box via RCA jacks. I was hoping to use the Soundbars remote to set the volume at some mid-level and then set it aside not needing it anymore. Then I was hoping to be able to use my TiVo remote to raise or lower the volume from there. However when I press the volume up or down on the TiVo remote I see the TiVo little yellow light light up but it does not seem to control the sound whatsoever nor does the mute work.

Is it supposed to be like this. I really did not want to have to use a remote control that came with the Soundbar and further I have the same issue with the Soundbar that I had with the computer speakers...I turn it to its max volume and it's still not loud enough.

Thoughts?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You forgot to program the Tivo remote to set the sound bar remote codes.

You should not be using computer speakers and RCA jacks. Didn't the sound bar include speakers? Plus you can use optic cables instead, should the sound bar has that input. I know Tivos have digital audio outputs.

3. Andrelaplume3

Andrelaplume3 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Ayecaramba I just noticed another issue with this setup... If I add a DVD or my fire stick where the heck does the sound come out of. I must missing the big picture here. Now I am thinking I perhaps need a 3 input 1 output HDMI switch box have ... Have the three inputs go into the box and the one HDMI output to the projector and then to projector sound input to the soundbar does that sound right?

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Many (most?) soundbars have multiple HDMI inputs and can select from them. However the intent of a soundbar is to provide the sound via the integral speaker(s). If you want to use the speakers driven by your projector then perhaps an HDMI switch is all you need. But then you don't solve your audio level problem.

5. Andrelaplume3

Andrelaplume3 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Thoughts please...I have experimented further.

Desire:
    Send a signal to my projector from either the Tivo / DVD or Firestick and make volume as low or loud as desired.

Current set up:
    I dug out my old 3 HDMI Input with one output switch box.
    Connected TIVO HDMI into Input 1
    Connected DVD HDMI to Input 2
    Connected Firestick HDMI to Input 3
    Connected HDMI Switch Output to Projector (it has only 1 HDMI input)
    Connected 3.5mm audio out on Projector to old amplified computer speakers with Sub woofer.

It seems to work. As I switch the HDMI input, the picture and sound travel through the HDMI to the projector and from the projector to the old amplified computer speakers/little subwoofer. The projector remote controls the volume but even at max it is not quite loud enough...my assumption has been it has something to do with the inherent amplification of the old computer speakers...or the amplification *level* sent from the projector. ...not sure...does anyone know?

I bought a little junky sound bar ($50) to test. It does not have a 3.5mm input..CRAP! It only has rca inputs. My projector only has one sound output: 3.5mm...can not hook this sound bar to the projector! For the heck of it..I hooked the soundbar directly to the TiVo. The TiVo remote has no effect on sound. Again, the sound bar, using it's remote at max was still quite low. I will return the soundbar regardless...but next time want buy a better one with the right inputs etc.

So I have two issues:

1) it would seem the various signals must be sent to the projector? Is using the HDMI switch as described a proper method? I would think so...

2) It would seem the sound must go from the projector to a sound bar that has a 3.5mm input...Correct? I see no other way of getting the sound to the sound bar...unless the soundbar itself has multiple hdmi inputs and acts a s a switch producing sound for the selected input and having a single HDMI output that runs to the projector...from what I have seen this is not how it works...but I could be wrong?

Assuming the sound must go from projector to sound bar (an again, that may be not be the best way) will a better soundbar be able to amplify the sound louder than what I am getting now..which is not really all that loud..or is this being limited by the projector in some way?
    Thanks!!!

6. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    What you want is to take the sound OUT from the projector and send it to the amp or soundbar, that's it, nothing more complicated and the best approach since you're using an HDMI switch for the input of the projector, so your summary is right but overly wordy :) all the rest of the items are superfluous.

This is why people buy AV receivers

MikeCC likes this.
  7. Andrelaplume3

Andrelaplume3 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Sorry about being verbose!...so all I need is a soundbar that accepts a 4.5mm input?

Will the soundbar be able to raise the volume or is the projector somehow maxing it out? Can I use the sound bar to set it's volume at mid-level then toss it aside and just ude the projectors remote from there?

Do you recommend an HDMI switch...I have a monoPrice...if i lv l my firestick connected but not used for a while...I must unplug it to get it to work....not sure if it's the switch?

8. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    At a basic level, yes a soundbar with a 3.5mm would be what you need, then depending on the projector it may have variable or fixed sound out, and that would change what you use to adjust the volume.

As far as HDMI switches, whatever works should be fine since you're not doing 4K and they are very cheap on Amazon.

9. Andrelaplume3

Andrelaplume3 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    thank you..I just do not want to buy a more expensive sound bar but have it somehow limited by the projector..if that is the case then I'd have to buy an HDMI sound bar and route the HDMI thru there then onto the projector...???? If so should I just look for a sound bar with both a 3.5mm connector but also an HDMI in and out? The funny thing is I am not looking for booming sound just something I can make a little loud when the appliances are running...

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What outputs and inputs does your projector have? Or even the make and model?

The 3.5mm are analog 2.0 sound with left and right only. Same with RCA.

dianebrat likes this.
  11. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'm guilty of assuming the OP was correct that the projector only offered RCA out, ARC or optical could be there depending on model and both would add options.

12. Andrelaplume3

Andrelaplume3 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    It is a viewsonic projector...$299. Surprisingly (at least to me) the picture is quite good. it suufers on inputs and outputs. Only ONE hdmi input and the only the output is the 3.5mm jack.

Again, I am thinking I should get a sound bar that accepts the 3.5mm but question if the projector is limiting how loud I can make things. Perhaps I should make sure the soundbar has an HDMI input and output in case I need to run the HDMI into it then onto the projector and use the sound bar's remote for volume. I was hoping to avoid that because then that is a third remote...I wish there was a TiVO remote with all it's functionality that I could also program to turn on/off my projector and control the future sound bar's volume. I did by some programmable learning thing...fun to play with but the wife and kids will never master it...and the batteries die each month! I need something simple.

13. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It doesn't matter how much it costed.....

Can you get us the exact model number. Perhaps we can research the manual and explore options.

The same for the sound bar. We can then compare the inputs (sound bar) and outputs (projector). Most sound bars need digital inputs for optimum sound.

14. Andrelaplume3

Andrelaplume3 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    pa503s - viewsonic..I am telling you though it's 3.5mm. I have no soundbar, I returned the $50 jobber to BestBuy. I am back to using my old altec lansing computer speakers with its little sub woofer...which actually sound decent...just cant make it loud enough.

15. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I believe this projector is for presentations for business meetings, etc. It looks like its meant for computer hookups and sound is not a priority.

I do not think this is meant for something like home theater. Its perhaps the reason you have such low sound levels. You would now need some kind of audio amplifier if you want increased sounds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PA503S 3600 ANSI Lumen, 15000 lamp life, SVGA DLP Projector - Projector

16. Andrelaplume3

Andrelaplume3 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Many reviews show it benig used for tv. Initially I bought it to use for movie night outside. It worked so well it never made it out! So, do soundbars amplify...what do I need?

17. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Most sound bars do better with digital audio, such as 5.1. The .1 is the middle speaker used for the speaking parts of the video.

18. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The .1 in 5.1 is the subwoofer.

KimHedrick and kpeters59 like this.
  19. Andrelaplume3

Andrelaplume3 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Bought an Insignia sound bar (sale: $44). I know its not the best but was able to run my 3.5mm projector sound output jack to it. It seems to amplify the sound to a loud enough level to hear over the washer/dryer/humidifer. I would assume a better sound bar could go louder but this works. I set the sound bar volume at max then use the projector or Nevo to lower / raise volume relatively from there...it does not seem I need the sound bar remote at all..I just leave it on all the time.