How do I change the picture setting to match that of an old TV show?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Snowball3, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Snowball3

Snowball3 Member

Oct 4, 2018
    I like to watch old game shows on this channel that specializes in that. But the picture comes out too stretched on a flat screen. I had this same problem when I watched old sitcoms on another channel. But I was able to fix it by hitting (on Tivo remote) info and then scrolled to the right to "Change Panel Mode" and just selected "Panel" . But on the game show channel they dont have this option. I have looked all over to no luck on the Tivo settings. Then I tried my normal TV remote and went to "Menu" then "Picture" and adjusted all the sizes but it still comes out taking up the whole screen . I figured I had to change the ratio back to 4:3? At least I assumed because many of the shows are from the 70s. But am unable to find anyway in which I can do that. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you so much in advance if you can help!

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Depending on the Model/Software of your TiVo, the UP Arrow ought to cycle the TiVo through its available Output Resolutions.

Your TV, however, might also be the problem, being set to its version of 'Stretch' or 'Wide'. Consult the TV's included remote for addressing that...

Set the TiVo to Panel and the TV to Normal (16x9).

-KP

Mikeguy likes this.
  3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    All HDTV has their own aspect ratio settings. In general, The TV would be set to FULL, and Tivo set to PANEL. TV settings can be different so you need to experiment.

4. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It depends on the channel. They may be stretching it. If the channel is broadcasting in 16x9, either SD or HD, the TiVo can’t change it. It sounds like you are on TE4 (hydra) which will not show panel mode if the picture is 16x9 from the source.

You may be able to change your tv setting but would have to change it back for normal viewing. My Sony has “normal” which squeezes to 4x3 and full which takes whatever signal is coming in and maps it to the 16x9.

PSU_Sudzi and kpeters59 like this.
  5. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I had that issue on a recorded show, and the remedy was to download, Put on VideoReDo, save with 4:3 option. Send back to Tivo if I wanted.

6. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Well, maybe; depending on how the channel altered the picture. Wasn't it TNT back in the day that was somewhat infamous for applying a non-linear stretch when they were up-converting 4:3 content to HD?.

The picture's center was relatively un-stretched while the edges were heavily stretched. This did tend to keep close-ups of actors from looking like they'd put on a bunch of weight, since they tended to be towards the center of the frame and hence relatively unaffected - but it looked really weird if someone walked across the entire frame as they first shrank and then expanded again; or when you had a row of identical object like lamp posts stretching across the screen. It also meant a TV couldn't properly undo the stretching because if you forced it back to the proper 4:3 ratio the center was now over-compressed while the edges were still somewhat stretched; ugg! Channels should stick to broadcasting in the original aspect ratio and let people who want it stretched have their cable box or TV do so for them.

7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The kind of stretch I hate is the partial stretch/zoom I have seen.

8. Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    I don’t know if it’s relevant here but I know on my TV when I watch The Game Show Network live, I need to be on the SD channel for the old shows but the HD channel for new shows to make them look right.

kpeters59 likes this.
  9. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    the TV would have its independent screen ratio settings, even on each input can be individually set.

10. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    For some reason this reminds me of, I think it was AMC, shortly after the HD conversion where they were clearly playing an up-converted transfer because the movie had been letterboxed into 4:3 and then pillar boxed to place the 4:3 image into the center of the 16:9 HD video. So the movie is playing with larger borders around all 4 sides! :D
    Fortunately my TV was happy to zoom in enough to mostly fill the screen with the actual move - but it was funny that the channel didn't just crop the letter boxing out to get back to the widescreen ratio of the original movie.

11. Snowball3

Snowball3 Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Thank you everyone for being so helpful! I think it must be the channels problem because Tivo doesn't even offer the Panel Mode on this channel. Also within the last few months I believe this channel changed the exact channel it broadcast from. Maybe that has something to do with it I am not sure. My TV settings for picture are : Normal, Wide, Cinema, Zoom, and Full 100%. Tony mentioned that "Normal" squeezed the picture to fit your screen. Thank you for the suggestion that option is the best out of all of them. It isnt perfect but at least watchable now!

Thabto mentioned using redo to fix the picture settings. So its possible then to record a show in this "Normal" setting and then use videoredo to reformat the picture setting to what it should be? Or is that very difficult to do? Thanks again for all the suggestions!

12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Panel only works on SD channels (in 480i broadcasts, and recordings) and is unaffected to change the aspect on HD channels.

VideoReDo is a Windows program for editing video, edit out commercials, etc. To revert the shows to 4:3 from a 16:9, the show must be not-copy-protected to be able to download (using programs like KMTTG, PyTivo), then loaded in VideoReDo, save, then options there for 4:3.
    I have done it on occasion. Mostly from DVDs. I have seen a channel that has partial zoom (small bars on the sides)

What your TV is set to does not affect how Tivo sees the shows. Example, you set the TV to Normal, and that is how you would see it, but Tivo is still the exact same aspect it recorded from.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  13. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Small correction. Panel only works on 4x3 channels. It does not work on 16x9 even if SD.

14. Furmaniac

Furmaniac Active Member

Apr 3, 2018
    There is a correct and simple answer for this. Press the info button and on the bottom you will see a row of choices :CC mode, more info, sound track and usually 'change panel mode'. When you see 'change panel mode', select it and you can watch the program in 4:3 with "polar bars" on the left and right side.

15. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    If you have a remote with the Aspect or Zoom button on it, you can just press that to cycle through all the panel mode choices for that particular program. Note that it doesn't actually do anything unless the program is in 4:3.

https://support.tivo.com/articles/I...et-the-Aspect-Ratio-for-an-Individual-Program

16. Snowball3

Snowball3 Member

Oct 4, 2018
    For this channel when I select More Info and Channel Options there is no panel mode option unfortunately. Strange since according to their wikipedia they broadcast in 480i SDTV so I assumed it would work. My regular tv remote also must be limited because it doesn't have any options to change it to 4:3 or panel mode either. Its a shame Videoredo doesn't have that option as part of their program. Do you or anyone recommend Videoredo TV Suite. You mentioned Videoredo so I just looked it up and was curious if it is worth the money. Thank you.

17. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    More misinformation on this thread. You are on TE4, correct? The aspect or zoom buttons don’t work in TE4. The channel options are not where you change the panel mode. That is a separate item on the info bar. And is NOT available for 16x9 channels, either HD or SD.

18. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, its worth the money, just a bit of a learning curve to use it. You would need to buy a registration to use it. TVSuite is only about $50.

To convert a stretched 16:9 show, load it in VideoReDo, Press Ctrl-S, to bottom right of the files is a options button, Under Aspect Ratio, select from the dropdown, 4:3. Don't change anything else and click OK and it returns to the files list. Make sure the file does not overwrite the current video file and Press SAVE.

You can also remove commercials using VRD.

19. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Yea, which is what MeTV does to butcher the correct aspect ratio of all it's old shows...I really HATE IT!!! :mad:

Mikeguy likes this.
  20. Snowball3

Snowball3 Member

Oct 4, 2018
    I am unsure if it is TE4. I am not that familiar with the specs of all of this. I am sure that has become obvious lol.

Thanks for the input on videoredo! And telling me how to change the aspect ration! That means a lot. I was thinking of getting the videoredo tv suite . That version is a 100 dollars but does seem you can easily edit out commercials etc. I am thinking of going for that.

For METV and to avoid that stretched look is the correct aspect ration 4:3? I watch a lot of shows on that network too lol