How Do I Backup Bolt + Recordings?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by avlBruce, Oct 31, 2019.

1. avlBruce

avlBruce New Member

Oct 21, 2019
    I recently had a Bolt+ break down and it was replaced. Setting up the Bolt is somewhat of a pain. However, the real pain was losing all the recorded shows that were on the old unit.

Is there a way that I can backup my existing recordings so that I can transfer them to a new unit should my new unit decide to crash?

I have no interest in watching the shows directly from the backup device. Some options may be the cloud, a computer, an external drive, or a second Bolt.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Sentinel Alpha

Sentinel Alpha New Member

Oct 25, 2019
    I need to do the same thing, I found this utility. I haven't tried it yet. Will post another comment after I test it. kmttg

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can use KMTTG, PyTivo to download shows that are not copy-protected, but you would not be able to transfer them back. This is due to the software its running called Hydra, v21, TE4.

4. avlBruce

avlBruce New Member

Oct 21, 2019
    I'm confused as to what Hydra is. My first Bolt used what is now called Experience 3 (I think) and the new Bolt defaults to Experience 4. I did the downgrade process and took the replacement Bolt back to Experience 3. So, am I now running Hydra or not?

Obviously, my main concern is to get my recorded shows back onto the next Bolt that I get. In the course of 30 months I have had 3 Bolts fail. As a result, I'm quite confident that this one will also fail. However, this time I want to be prepared.

5. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    TE4 = The Experience 4 or v21 (Hydra) of Tivo software shown in System Information. (No computer to Tivo transfers allowed)

TE3 = The Experience 3 or v20 (In System Information, v20.7.4 as current) will still allow transfer of shows both ways from computer or Tivo using PyTivo or Tivo Desktop ( no longer supported)

6. avlBruce

avlBruce New Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Great.

I just checked and I am 20.7.4. Since Tivo Desktop is no longer supported should I use PyTivo or would I be better off using the unsupported software.

Thanks for all you help.

7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo Desktop can still be used but you would need to update the security certificate found elsewhere on this forum.

Alternative is PyTivo desktop, KMTTG (which is download only, but includes other features.)

8. Nov 1, 2019 #8 of 12
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    pyTivo Desktop works swell (goes both directions). :)

pyTivo Desktop

9. Nov 1, 2019 #9 of 12
    avlBruce

avlBruce New Member

Oct 21, 2019
    I think that pyTivo is the way to go.
    However, I do have one last question.
    Assume that I have used pyTivo to copy many recordings from my Bolt to an external drive attached to my PC.
    Then the source Bolt breaks down and is replaced with a new Bolt.
    Can I then copy the files from the drive on my PC to the replacement Bolt?

My fear is that the files may somehow be tagged so that they can only be sent back to the same source that they came from.
    As previously mentioned, I have no interest is watching files on my PC, phone, or iPad. I just want to have a backup of my recordings.

Again, thanks for everyone's help, you have been great.

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    That is somewhat what I did when I replaced the 500GB hard drive on my Bolt with a 3TB drive: transferred the shows to my PC, replaced the drive, and transferred the shows back to the Bolt with the new drive. Note that this only works with TE3--TE4 doesn't allow PC -> TiVo box transfers. Also, my shows are OTA not cable and are not copy-protected. As far as I am aware, the process doesn't care if the target is just a new drive or a new TiVo box itself--shows aren't flagged to prevent transfer, apart from copy-protected shows themselves.

Yes, it takes time--but the machines are doing the heavy lifting. I only needed periodically to queue shows up (I find it best to do no more than 15-20 at a time, to prevent issues) and then to do qc after-the-fact.

Note that pyTivo Desktop allows 2 types of transfers, PS and TS. PS mode may take longer but, for me, avoids glitches that TS mode may have (although pyTivo has a setting to repeat glitched TS-mode transfers). Note, though, that metadata such as subtitles may be excluded in PS mode, and MPEG4 transfers will not be playable if transferred under PS mode (not an issue for me with my OTA shows and usage).

11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I have done .MP4 transfer to Tivo via PyTivo, non desktop, and it took a while as it transcodes.

12. avlBruce

avlBruce New Member

Oct 21, 2019
    I am going to download pyTivo and give it a shot.

Thanks for all the great information.

kpeters59 likes this.