how do i add streaming content for quick access

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by robr, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Aug 9, 2011 #1 of 20
    robr

robr Member

Jan 29, 2002

Advertisements

We just picked up a TiVo premiere and my wife is going out of her tree. She's finding a lot of shows for the kids but they are all streaming. She wants to be able to add shows to someplace she can access everything quickly. She's used to a DirecTiVo and doesn't really understand the online thing. I haven't had a chance to use this new TiVo myself yet, but I'm watching her sitting here next to me ready to throw the remote thru the TV.

2. Aug 9, 2011 #2 of 20
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What are you referring to? You can have podcasts auto download. You can put Netflix in now showing.

3. Aug 9, 2011 #3 of 20
    robr

robr Member

Jan 29, 2002
    We don't have netflix, I mean stuff like....

she found free fat albert and adams family on hulu and/or amazon. she doesn't want to have to drill into 20 menus to find them again. she would like them in the now playing area so she or the kids (5 and 6) can easily just navigate to them and play them.

4. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    If you purchase them on Amazon they show up on your Now Playing list.

As for Hulu, I think you are stuck with the menu navigation. You can put a show in your Hulu queue.

5. robr

robr Member

Jan 29, 2002

Advertisements

Thanks. Doesn't seem like Hulu is as well integrated as the other services. Hope that eventually changes, it's really a turnoff as far as the W.A.F. goes.... actually I guess I don't like it much either and usually I can deal with a lot when it comes to poor user experience.

6. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Hulu is very much a separate application. I think the reason why the Amazon downloads show up in Now Playing is because the file is local. They could have done something similar for Hulu, but use a stub file. However, t his would make for a seamless epxerience and hide from the user what was Hulu and what was not - resulting in Hulu not getting acknowledgement.
    The Hulu UI on the Tivo is pretty much the same as on the Roku, so this also like played into things - it is easier and cheaper to design just one user interface for many platforms.

Rob there are some Guru Guides which will record a mix of kids programs, just make sure you place them low in the Season Pass manager list and tweak it to keep 25 episodes.

7. robr

robr Member

Jan 29, 2002
    I'll have to go google guru guides, never heard of them. Not sure if they will work for this situation but I'll check it out. The issue is that we only have the most basic cable. I was relying on internet content to fill in the missing gaps. I have Amazon Prime but it appears even though I have linked my Amazon account to my TiVo account, all that does is allows the TiVo to charge movies to my CC on file with Amazon, rather than provide the free streaming content that my Prime membership provides. The only other service I have is 7 free months of Hulu+ . I'm just trying to make this easy on the wife and kids to find the content they want to watch. If guru guides will grab stuff off the net and stuff it into NOW PLAYING, then we're good. I'm already fine with setting up season passes for the 10 channels we get from Comcast.

Thank you much for the tip.

8. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Some like hulu+, others hate it. Me, I see no reason for it and its interface bugs me.

Take a look at Netflix- it has integrated search and you can set up the que with items for the kids at the top. While not the prettiest netflix interface out there these days, it is easy to make kid friendly using similar paths to content as the NPL

9. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
    rob, we just get OTA content which should be a similar channel selection to you basic cable. Depending on what your kids like to watch you should find a decent amount of content. We also make much use of Netflix streaming via a Roku - better interface than Tivo's IMO.

10. robr

robr Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Thanks, but I just dumped a ton of services to reduce my Comcast bill and the goal was to consolidate to a single box with easy UI and high wife-acceptance-factor. Adding another box at this point isn't really an option. It's also not about finding content, we've found content. It's about making it easily accessible to the family. If it were just me, I would have built a quad-tuner HTPC DVR as I'm a techie and don't care what I have to dig thru, but if the wife finds a show she wants to follow, I don't blame her for wanting it to just show up in NOW PLAYING like all the other shows. So already Hulu is a failure in that regard and when the free trial is up (7 months later), we certainly won't be renewing. I just grabbed the one free month of Netflix and will see if that's a better solution. It better be at $20/month, that's twice my cable TV bill just for TiVo, but the whole idea was to integrate the online content with the live TV content in a single box and that's what I expected the TiVo to be able to do based on all the marketing materials and that's why I dumped all my Comcast programming except for the $10/month basic.

11. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I think it's about time Tivo get serious about integration. I want to have ONE place for everything I watch. I want to see my Netflix Queue (including 100+ episodes of a series) and I want to see my Hulu content to appear in the Now Playing List.

12. robr

robr Member

Jan 29, 2002
    AMEN!!!!!!!!!! What I have now is not worth $20/month without that. I already have a PS3 and an HTPC hooked up (no tuner card and which only I use). If I can't have a single box solution with TiVo and have to resort to multiple boxes, then TiVo gets kicked to the curb.

- Rob, also 'north of boston' :).

13. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Is this a north of Boston only thread? :)

The netflix app can be put at the bottom of the now playing list. Then, on the netflix website, put all the kids programs at the top of the queue. This way when the Tivo netflix app starts the kids programs are right there.
    If you are just looking for kids stuff, I would skip the netflix DVDs, streaming only is just $8, most of the time they are okay with watching the same stuff again and again. And have the tivo record a load of content from PBS.

Good luck!

14. robr

robr Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Oh man, you have to do all the Netflix management from the website!?!? WTF. This is an absolute joke. It's like TiVo threw this all in as an afterthought. I used to LOVE TiVo.... I was hacking DirecTiVos a decade ago to add all sorts of functionality and when I moved to HD and had to move to DTVs homemade DVR, I dumped DTV for Comcast and their implementation of TiVo on their Motorola STB. I was all excited to go back to a 'real' TiVo and my dreams have been crushed :(

15. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    You can't even watch most series from the Netflix app. It wil only display 100 episodes and it's often not even the first 100.

16. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is not 100% true. While there is a 100 Episode limit you can easily change which Episodes show up in the TiVo Netflix app. A very good example would be Stargate SG1 where there are over 200 Episodes, (216 Episodes, 10 Seasons)

All you need to do is:
    Exit the Netflix app on the TiVo.
    Play a few seconds of the first Episode of a season on a computer.
    Restart the TiVo Neflix app and the entire season of that Episode you just played on the computer will be populated.

17. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    it is not that hard. while tivo was one of the first netflix interfaces, it has not been updated. for your needs, it actually sounds perfect. add the kids content at the top of the list and they are good to go.

18. robr

robr Member

Jan 29, 2002
    For *ME* it works fine, for the wife, it means I have to do the work. Sure, it can work, but it's poorly implemented. The wife is not a computer person, she doesn't want to have to go to a computer to search for and add shows, and she should not HAVE to. It has nothing to do with 'its not that hard' and everything to do with TiVo needs to get their act together a create an easy to use seamless user experience that doesn't rely on anything other than their STB because there are a lot of other companies who are working toward this goal and would be more than happy to take away TiVos market share. I own TiVo stock myself and would love nothing more than to see them own the entire DVR/streaming content market, but what they have now is not user friendly to the non-tech crowd, and the tech crowd is more than happy to build their own solution. TiVo needs to be market testing their UI using kids and non-techies before giving it to the masses. Someone at TiVo had the same attitude as you, 'it's not that hard, this is good enough'. It's not good enough.

19. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Wait- don't put words in my mouth.

I said it is easy, and it is. Very easy.

Would I prefer to have an interface more closely aligned to what I get on the wii? Sure, yes. I would still more likely use my pc to add shows, as I would bother the family doing this on the main tv. But it would be nice from time to time to browse with the family to find content.

However, for your needs, the "as is" is probably easier for your wife and kids to understand than the other implementations out there. You put the content there, and they consume it. What I see on the wii is much more similar to the netflix website, take a look. I did not say anything related to how you would want to use it, as you clearly have a "knack" for technology.

So, in essence, you are being hypocritical, perhaps without even knowing it, and certainly without checking it out adequately first.

20. DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    I hate to say it, but the "Cut the cord" movement is definitely techie user only at this point. Non Techies have cable. We may get to a point where streaming is a truly mainstream option, but it is very much a work in progress. As we have seen with the Netflix 60% price increase, before we are done it will most likely cost just as much as cable, just with more flexibility.