How Do I add more Recording space to Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by c monkey, Jan 8, 2006.

1. c monkey

c monkey New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Chiacgo, IL

Advertisements

I have 2 Tivo series two boxes and I want to add more space for recording. How do I do that and where can I purchase extra memory?

2. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    See the "upgrade forum" here.

And google "hinsdale HOWTO". It used to be a stick near the top of that forum, but he's not an advertiser here so it was yanked.

3. SteelersFan

SteelersFan "On Welfare"

Sep 6, 2004
    Saugus, CA
    Also look at the Weaknees sticky in that forum.

4. ThreeSoFar

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    I never liked them, prices anyway. But upgrade stuff is easy for me, it isn't for everyone.

5. SteelersFan

SteelersFan "On Welfare"

Sep 6, 2004
    Saugus, CA

Advertisements

They are a bit expensive for a preformatted HD, but their interactive instructions for formatting a HD yourself are pretty easy, IMO.

6. ThreeSoFar

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    Yeah, probably they're good. But I had it down pat via Hinsdale's HOWTO before they even had the web thingy.

7. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    I got a bracket and fan combo from them. A bit pricey, but it was rock solid, and a piece of cake to install.

8. ThreeSoFar

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    That was a niche product that it was nice someone provided. I wouldn't even call the brackets pricey--certainly cheaper than I could have milled one out myself.

But long ago (even when drives were small enough to perhaps warrant it), I decided to stick to one drive per TiVo. Since we have standalones and watch a lot of TV, we needed to resolve conflicts with multiple subscribed TiVos, so one drive per has always been plenty.