How compatible is Panny 50" 8UK and HR10-250?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by business-spice, May 14, 2006.

1. business-spice

business-spice New Member

May 14, 2006

Advertisements

I have read in a post on the avs forum about having viewing problems while watching tv on their Panny 8UK models while using the hr10-250. Something about when switching from HD & SD signals and having the letterbox on the sides and top of the screens and therefore only utilizing 2/3 of the screen. I understand there are different settings and pressing up on the remote can cycle the user through these settings but I remember him saying that it wasn't helping and instead his picture was just going black but he had audio. Before I spend $400 and regret it, I wanted to hear from someone with an 8UK that can let me know if the HR10-250 works fine and/or what steps need to be taken in order to properly watch satellite tv. I don't want to have to flip from 480 to 720 and/or 1080 everytime I change the channel depending upon whether I'm watching American Idol or 10 year old Unsolved Mysteries. Also, would I continue to keep the tv's viewing settings at "Just."

I also remember reading somewhere that the HR10-250 moves like a snail. When using the guide or setting up channels to record it seems to take forever like early 90's software. I have a standard DirecTv DVR right now and it's not blazing fast by any means, so in comparison does the Hr10-250 moves slower or is it about the same as a current users DirecTv satellite receiver?

Thanks for any help, I tried searching but got so many other topics I couldn't get an answer. Also, if you can answer me in plain English it would be appreciated ... just a 27" year old non-techie kid who wants to watch his American Idol. :p I can't quite understand when someone replies by letting me know I need to upconvert my flux-capaciter to switch my nodules to vibrate. See, I probably just made sense to someone out there :D

2. LowPingBoy

LowPingBoy New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Panny 50 8UK driven by an HR10-250 through the HDMI since December -- no problem. Set at 720 and never change it. Run the optical audio to your receiver if you want DD5.1.

3. business-spice

May 14, 2006
    you're the man :up:

I have an Onkyo TX-SR603X receiver. So I can use an HDMI to go to my Panny 50" 8UK for video and run an optical cable to my Onkyo for audio? I was reading in another post how people were saying the hr10-250 wouldn't send out audio to their receivers when going HDMI ... should I be able to w/ no problems? will I have to use comp. cables instead of HDMI?

Thanks!

4. Ein

Ein New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Yes.

Just use the digital out from your 250 to your audio receiver and you will have no problem.

The HDMI will not send out digital audio from the 250. But will send normal audio, after you have checked the audio option in the 250 setup.

5. business-spice

May 14, 2006

Advertisements

Well then, that brings up something else. You said use the digital out for my audio, what cable is this then, are we still talking about fiber optic audio cable? Because I have tried using other audio cables but I get a low frequency hum and gurgle from my Velodyne subwoofer if I use anything else other than fiber optic for my audio. So I kinda need to make sure I am using the fiber optic cable only for my audio. If this will not work with HDMI for my video, then do I just use comp. cables for video then?

thanks, and sorry for my semi-noobishness

6. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    What the previous posters are saying is, 5.1 is not sent over the HDMI cable.
    The HR10-250 has a digital audio out that you need to use to get 5.1 surround.

You would use this cable to get audio to your surround sound decoder regardless of how you are getting video to your HD monitor.
    Yes, fiber optic cable, also known as Toslink.

Since Televisions only come with 2 speakers, there is no need to send 5.1 through HDMI.

phox

7. joetoronto

joetoronto HR10-250 Lover

Jul 26, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    i've had a new 8uk hooked up to a new HR10 for about 6 weeks now and everything works flawlessly, business-spice.

i highly recommend using component and toslink though, skip the HDMI, it's just not worth it.

8. jhimmel

jhimmel Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Actually, it is - but the TV can't do anything with it (no 5.1 decoder in the TV).

Some people are using the HDMI with an HDMI switching receiver and decoding the 5.1.

Jim H.

9. MisterEd

MisterEd Very Large Member

Jun 6, 2001
    TV Land
    If I only am using 2.1 audio through my 5.1 capable rcvr would there be any DISadvantage to using digital audio connection? Would I lose the back 2 channels completely or will they simply mix in with the front 2 channels?

10. Ein

Ein New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    The HDMI blade is capable of displaying 4K+ level of gradations.

But, if you are happy with component, that's all it matters.

11. joetoronto

joetoronto HR10-250 Lover

Jul 26, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    yes, and if you go with top of the line monster cables, you'll have PQ better than any other cables on the market.

too bad the human eye can't see the difference. :rolleyes:

12. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Too bad 10-bit digital video only has 887 quantization levels. And also too bad that HD video as transmitted is only 8-bit, which only has 220 levels. That's 3780 levels of gradation going completely to waste! :rolleyes:

And you know what? Being analog, component is capable of an infinite number of levels of gradations.

13. business-spice

May 14, 2006
    Yeah, well my flux-capacitor can take me back to 1987.

beat that.

14. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Go there, and do nothing until you hear from us.