How can you tell if HD?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by SteelersTiVo, Jan 26, 2006.

1. SteelersTiVo

SteelersTiVo Steelers Fan

Aug 18, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Assuming of course that you are looking at an HDTV, besides the icons networks display or being on an HD channel, how can you tell you are watching HD programming? I mean the TV already has a great picture so how can you really tell without someone letting you know?

2. Tivortex

Tivortex Cherished Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Colorado
    If you can't tell the difference, you are not watching HD.

3. JDHutt25

JDHutt25 Active Member

Dec 27, 2004
    You'll know it when you see it. NO doubt about it.

4. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    I was trying to find some pics to show the diff but its very obvious to most people. Whats more obvious is how poor of PQ you get on SDTV programming after watching the HDTV stuff.

5. csweeny

csweeny TIVO Junkie

Jun 9, 2004
    Northern...
    This is one of the biggest misconceptions with HD. An HDTV does nothing for your picture quality (actually SD looks worst on an HDTV) it's all about the source. If it's an HD signal and you have an HDTV you would know the difference.

6. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA

:up: :up: :up:

You will know when you see a HD picture!!!

(btw--- you will never see HD on a SD channel--- you need to be looking at the HD feed channel)

7. Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    If you have to ask ...

8. jayo7

jayo7 New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    This is actually a good question. I bet you would all be surprised how many people THINK they are viewing HDTV because the stupid networks actually place "In HD Where Available" when shows start, even though it is on a SD signal. The problem is (as you may have guessed based on no-one giving you a real answer), I do not know of any real way other than knowing what channel and program you are watching. Just because you see "In HD" does NOT mean you are seeing HD.

Some HDTVs actually do a decent job of upscaling SD material so they look OK on a widescreen HDTV. I really believe of people who think they are viewing HD, that there are probably more people NOT viewing actual HD. This is a very un-scientific guess based on looking at many neighbors tv setups and hearing them talk about how great a show was in HD (even though they viewed it on a SD DirectTV channel :(