How can TIVO keep us as customers?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by hzp, May 15, 2020.

which of the below actions is most likely to make you leave TIVO?

1. lack of comcast app

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. inability to play netflix interactive shows

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. additional concern I'll note in the comments.

27 vote(s)
    93.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. hzp

hzp New Member

Feb 15, 2017
    I'm into TIVO for my bolt and a mini, using a cablecard. And it was wonderful for a great while. But increasingly, its frustrating.

1. The comcast app has gone away. Is this TIVO's fault or Comcast? Who cares?
    2. Netflix, arguably the most popular app out there, is only partially functional on TIVO (the shows that are interactive won't play).
    3. TIVO seems weirdly unconcerned with our concerns.
    4. TIVO + is B.S. and not a replacement for any content we've lost and I can't understand why they'd spend development time and dollars on that vs the wealth of other opportunities they had to make us happy.

I'd hate to lose my investment in the hardware, and i will miss the "bloop" but I am having a harder and harder time understanding why I stay and pay the 15$/month.

So, in the hopes that SOMEONE is listening... which of the below actions is most likely to make you leave TIVO?

compuguy and Rikki_Rocket like this.
  2. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Well Not Comcast because I and many others dont have comcast as an option

3. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I am moving more and more to on demand apps through my streamer. It's just a question of when the straw breaks and the WAF.

pj1983, Family and osu1991 like this.
  4. samsauce29

samsauce29 Active Member TCF Club

Nov 30, 2007
    Erie, PA
    Very much this. I would sell my last 2 boxes today and live with apps. WAF is low though, so I stay for now.

5. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Pre-roll ads and Tivo+ forced into the guide.
    Since dropping Cox and going to Philo and/or YoutubeTV. I rarely use the Tivo's even for local recordings as the pre roll ads have made it slow and not very user friendly.

6. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I added an X1 to my Xfinity account. I really don't plan to spend any more money on TiVo equipment; I have no more faith in anything they produce. I'll use what I have, which is lifetime-subscribed, until it dies or is superseded technologically, then worry about whatever ultimately replaces it. If TiVo has rehabilitated themselves by then, they can be considered along with whatever else it out there then.

MMG likes this.
  7. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    With physical DVRs becoming less and less relevant, I am likely going to stay with TiVo until the bitter end...

I am assuming that TiVo will remain the best-in-class user experience when it comes to physical DVR boxes (who else is going to invest in this space given the move to cloud-based DVRs?).

And because I continue to get my linear live content OTA via my antenna set-up, I will always need a physical DVR...at least for the foreseeable future...I am sure that might change at some point, but it's not in the near or mid term...

That said, I don't rely on my TiVo for anything other than playing back OTA content (both live and time-shifted)... I have accepted the fact that my Roamio app library will never be updated or expanded and watch that content on other sources (e.g., Fire TV Stick, Roku, etc...).

If mine stopped working, I'd replace it immediately...

ingsoc747 likes this.
  8. John G Campbell

John G Campbell New Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Probably leaving them after this weekend. No guide (as stated in another post) and no idea when and if I'll ever get one.
    TIVO+ is a joke and they should be embarrassed by it.
    Have lifetime subscription, so I get the feeling they probably don't care.

9. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I only use Tivo for the DVR. I would prefer that they remove all of the apps since they are substandard.

10. philco782

philco782 Active Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Florida
    WAF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Wife acceptance factor.

compuguy and cwerdna like this.
  12. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    If TiVo forces me to Hydra I'm gone. If TiVo forces ads I'm gone.

I prefer a hardware DVR with local storage. My Roamio OTAs do exactly what I want them to with little fuss.

Wish they'd stop giving us apps (PlutoTV) that don't work right. I have a Roku so that doesn't matter as much.

13. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Littleton,...
    I just added a Xfinity XG1v4 4K DVR for my main TV and moved the Cablecard Tivo and mini to the basement and bedroom TV. Very happy with the change and the WAF is good. Picture quality is better then Tivo Bolt VOX. Also their version of commercial skipping (smart resume) works well.
    Netflix and other apps work well and don't crash the box like they do on my Bolt.

I am now disappointed I spent so much on Tivo equipment in the last three years. The Tivo+ ads in the guide are annoying along with the pre-run ads on recordings. The Tivo Ted promises for new Comcast on demand never happened and the guide data is shxx.

I don't like having to rent a cable box but I like my TV experience to be trouble free.

So far it is worth it.

14. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    I just want the DVR, and I'm happy with my low-rez SD menus and 4 tuners (Premiere on TE3). I did occasionally use the Comcast-on-demand feature, but only for the free library and only when I failed to record something, so I haven't really missed it since it went away.

The deal-breaker for me is if (when?) the guide data becomes so inaccurate and full of holes that I could not schedule recordings. I lived with a VCR for as long as I could still get an analog signal, and I could go back to manual settings if (when?) i need to, but I've come to rely on episode titles and folders for my shows. That is why I'm paying a monthly fee for their guide. I never expected to be so loyal for so many years, but i has been worth it to me.

machaon likes this.
  15. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Bad Guide data ticks me off. But I'm probably in for the long haul, as a major OTA guy--not having a DVR is just painful.

hc130radio and machaon like this.
  16. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Tivo makes a killer DVR. Too bad they didn't work more on licensing the great technology to others.

TiVo has already ordered the nails for the coffin and when it dies, I will miss it. But understand they died from self infliction. I'll probably always have a local DVR, but cloud based DVR's and VOD will kill off most DVR's. PLEX will probably be around long after TiVo is dead.

BUT........... If TiVo ads more ads that I cannot bypass... I'll be gone. I cannot pay for a monthly service that kicks in ads. I'm paying for the guide... I didn't ask for ads. Makes paying my local cable company a good option for a DVR with no ads.

17. mazman

mazman Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Alamo, CA
    I retired my Premiere this week when Comcast started charging $9.99/month for the outlet. (They probably should have been all along but I wasn't going to mention it to them. Only took them seven years to figure it out.)

I still have a Roamio w/lifetime and two Mini's, which is less expensive then renting from Comcast so I'll stay with the setup until they die or Comcast goes IP only. Fortunately I never "upgraded" to Hydra. As a 15+ year TiVo customer, it saddens me to see what's become of a once innovative and exciting company.

I use an inexpensive Roku for streaming. Was going to try the Tivo 4K but given the lukewarm reviews and my lack of faith in Tivo management I'll stay away.

18. philco782

philco782 Active Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Florida
    Can the xfinity box stream recordings out to your iPhone?

Can you remotely set the xfinity box to record something if you’re out and about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Littleton,...
    Yes, and you don't have to sign in every other time...

Yes, apparently Tivo had sued them and it was disabled for a while. The feature in back now.

20. Rikki_Rocket

Rikki_Rocket Member

May 6, 2020
    For me it was Comcast that was frustrating not TiVo. I recently cut the cord since my cable bill was approaching $230 a month for hundreds of channels that I never watched. Over $20+ just in TV franchise fees.

So I now have a Bolt OTA which I love - best DVR I’ve ever had - and I get local HD channels for free. I have Sling TV, a Roku, and now trying out TiVo Stream 4K.

I think TiVo has lost a clear direction since being bought out by Rovi - but they can still be relevant. Just add better streaming capabilities to their next DVR and they should be fine (working title is “The Future” for next iteration of the Edge).