How can I record or stop current recording when not home

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by kimos, Sep 11, 2011.

1. kimos

kimos New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    record or stop current recording when not home.
    I saw the iPhone app might control the recording at home network.
    But sometime I go out and see the program I can recording. But if
    I just start recording at home, how can I stop the TiVo continune recording
    When I outside of my home network area?

2. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Under what type of circumstances would you need to stop a recording while not at home?

3. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    If your able to program a recording from a smart phone then the option to stop a recording in progress should be available...

Curious what program were you wanting to stop the recording that couldn't wait until you returned home

4. premiereman

premiereman New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    The problem is that the TiVo mobile app is buggy. If you try to stop a recording the program will crash and it will not occur. They really need to update the app and address the bugs!

5. kimos

kimos New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    I am a new user I just start recording a movie then gotta goto work. I just worry about may continue recording until I get home. But I checked when I home TiVo auto stopped when that show is over

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    yes- tivo knows what it is doing> this is no vcr from 1995.

you can also set up a recording from tivo.com from work. i do it all the time.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Even a VCR in 1995 would stop recording when it's supposed to. I remember in the early 90's they had those codes you entered in the VCR for the program that would set it up for the beginning and ending times. Those worked also for recording properly as well as manually setting the start and ending times.

And even if the TiVo did record all day, unless you are short on space, it won't cause any issues.

8. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Those codes never worked for me, but I'll capitulate.

How about 1985? Mine loaded from the top and had dial based tuners and manual tracking adjustments.

9. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Eww, VCR+. But VCRs also often had "record-from-now" that was just 30-minute-increment based.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The first one we got was in late 1984. It had stereo audio(non hi-fi) and digital displays and buttons. I don't know about the tracking adjustment though. My Dad got it at cost from his part time job. It came in handy for recording some of my favorite shows while in college.

11. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Sounds all too familiar with the tech side of Tivo... Too bad they can't figure out how to code an app you can use to access your Tivo from a smart phone, go figure...:confused:

12. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Well then, welcome to the Tovo community an best of luck with your device...

I started with a Series 3 Tivo, worked great until the cable company forced a tuner adapter into the mix. Then all hell broke loose, as has been reported by users cross country an beyond...

It is a sad state of affairs that the cable companies will not embrace Tivo, rather then to attempt to force the consumer to use their inferior device...

I look forward to the "Elite" whenever that day arrives... Many a time I've waited to record more then two programs at the same time slot but had to pick one or the other...

Bought the Premiere in January this year an it worked perfectly until the cable company came out with a cable card an the tuner...

Needless to say I'm not a happy camper with both BH and Tivo... Both parties blaming the other for the faults that are in play...

Rant over.. whew...:rolleyes:

13. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Guess no one reads manuals any more. All this spoon feeding.

14. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    That's the ugly side of free markets. Competition provides the incentive that powers our economy, but left to their own devices companies can sometimes compete in dirty, underhanded ways in their zeal to separate customers from their money. Government regulation is required to keep them honest. The FCC self-install mandate is just one small example.

15. kimos

kimos New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    now i think tivo automatic record the show start on and stop recording when show is ended.

16. seattlewendell

seattlewendell New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    What?
    Yes Tivo know when the show has ended and therefore it stops recording. Was that really your question?

17. seattlewendell

seattlewendell New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    I have to disagree. I find the Tivo app to be very stable and never crashes. It works so well I am convinced that Tivo outsourced the development. The app is almost more impressive than a Tivo. I use it to control multiple Tivo's, browse for content, setting up season passes, other recordings etc. is so much easier on the app.

18. premiereman

premiereman New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Are you able to stop recordings through your phone?