How can I increase the analog audio output level?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Nexsen, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Nexsen

Nexsen New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    What is the audio level supposed to be on a Series One TIVO and how can I increase it?

When I take the audio to an MAudio Flying Cow the level meter shows it is extremely low and when I ampliify it within the ADC I get an annoying artifact that sounds like a low frequency "purr - purr - purr- purr" with each purr about 1 second duration. Like a pendulum swinging back and forth - purr - purr.

I think if I can increase the audio level output from the TIVO just below where it would be clipped it may eliminate the artifact.

I changed the sound effect volume to loud but that had no impact on the regular audio output level. Is there a way to boost the audio output level?

2. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I checked the S1 Philips manual but it doesn't spec the audio level. Are you sure that you have the correct (red/white) outputs from the Tivo? Are you sure that you don't have an impedance mismatch with the input to your amplifier? Have you tried both sets of audio outputs from the Tivo? Have you tried just one audio line at a time (red or white)?

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Well, the pdf of the cow's owner's manual carefully avoids revealing the input impedence.

What kind of cables are you using to connect the RCA jack audio line outputs of the TiVo to the analog inputs of the cow? T-S, T-R-S, XLR?