How can I get an RCA video output signal from a Bolt?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by GeneD, Dec 31, 2016.

1. GeneD

GeneD New Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Boynton...

Advertisements

My new Bolt does not carry the video signal on the AV breakout cable like it did on the Roamio. I need this signal in order to feed a modulator I use for broadcasting a low definition analog signal to other parts of the house, which I have been doing for over 15 years. My wife will be very upset if she can't turn on channel 94 in other rooms of the house while she is working, and see what the TiVo is playing in the family room - it's just something she's gotten use to :) What is the simplest way to extract an RCA video signal from the HDMI output without interfering with the HD signal going to big screen television attached to the TiVo?

One complex solution might be to use some kind of HDMI splitter to create two signals, and then use a HDMI to composite converter on one of the outputs. I am hoping there is something simpler, but if I have to use the splitter/converter combination, I don't know what kind of splitter I need to avoid any problems with the signal going to the HD television. Can anyone advise me on this?

Thank you!

2. Jan 1, 2017 #2 of 27
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Get some Minis or stick with Roamio. Splitters and converters will work too but will give you the same crappy picture you had before. Time to leave you old solution in the 20th century where it belongs.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  3. Jan 1, 2017 #3 of 27
    lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    You already know the answer. HDMI splitter and some kind of HDMI to rca output adapter. It's the only way to give your wife the same experience she has now. Your wife doesn't like change.

You want some "better" ideas. How many TV sets are you talking about. How many of them have HDMI inputs? How often are they used?

An example. E-Cycle the old CRT set facing your treadmill, which gets used a few times a year. Use the tivo app on a tablet when you use the treadmill. Use the tivo app on a mobile device if you want to quickly see what someone is watching in the main set and watch for a few minutes. The HD picture on a mobile device has to be better then your modulated SD signal. An Amazon stick, $25 on sale, works fine on a HD set. Not as good as watching on your main tivo but a lot better then your current modulated SD. A mini on a set you use often. You could buy a mini, and a breakout cable and use that with your modulator.

4. Jan 1, 2017 #4 of 27
    GeneD

GeneD New Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Boynton...
    Hi mdavej. Thanks for your suggestion. The Minis don't do the same thing in that I don't have wired connections in the two rooms (bathrooms) - only coax - and where I do have connections, the inconvenience of tuning the mini would pretty much kill the concept. Right now, some rooms are almost always tuned to one of the modulated channels (usually 94 for the family room TiVo), so we only have to turn the TV on if it's not already on. Usually, several TV's are on and tuned to 94 so we can move from room to room without missing a beat. My wife would not have the time or patience to stop and tune the Mini every time she changed rooms. Anyway, the cost of the Mini's would be $750, as compared to less than $75 for the worse-case splitter/converter option. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Mikeguy likes this.
  5. Jan 1, 2017 #5 of 27
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Right... walking around the house with the TVs all tuned to the same content.

Short: I'm using a Mini with composite outputs connected to an RF modulator.

Long: Yeah, I'm doing the same thing, to a degree... both, actually. I've installed a TiVo device at each TV location to provide standalone, high quality video to each TV, but I also have a single Mini in our basement nerve center connected via its composite outputs to an RF modulator. The co-located Minis can be tuned by switching to the HDMI/1 input, and the broadcasting Mini is on analog channel 72. The broadcasting Mini is controlled via Powermid IR repeaters or the TiVo mobile app.

I'd like to update the RF broadcast solution (AVcast) to something that can do HD, but the customer isn't complaining.

6. Jan 1, 2017 #6 of 27
    GeneD

GeneD New Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Boynton...
    Hi, lew. I think you're right in that the splitter/converter combination is the best way to go. There are plenty of HDMI audio extractors available on Amazon, but I have not been able to find an HDMI video extractor anywhere. So I will have to piece together two devices to do the same thing. So my remaining problem is finding a splitter that will not let the converter mess with the signal going to the TV. I guess I will just buy one - like the OREI HDS-102 - and test it out.

7. Jan 1, 2017 #7 of 27
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    If you have coax in all rooms, why won't Minis work?

In any case, one Mini to run your old RF system would work fine and probably about the same price as splitter/converter hardware.

8. Jan 1, 2017 #8 of 27
    lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    The splitter/convertor option is the only thing that will exactly duplicate your present setup.

JMO but I'd be looking for better picture quality in any set I'll be watching for more then a few minutes. I can sort of understand what you're doing for a bathroom TV. A $30 Amazon stick will give you HD picture quality in sets you actually set done and watch. Leave your set on channel 94, hit the input button on your remote and change to HDMI when you're actually going to sit down and watch for more then a minute or two.

9. Jan 1, 2017 #9 of 27
    lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    He wants the other sets to automatically display the same programming which is being shown on his main set. I guess your mini idea into the RF modulator would work if you also outputted that signal to the main TV set. If you use a breakout cable with the mini can you also output HDMI? If so that might be the best solution. Otherwise he'll be watching channel 94, substandard SD, on his main set. Wouldn't work for me.

10. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Composite and HDMI simultaneously on Mini works fine.

11. GeneD

GeneD New Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Boynton...
    krkaufman, I'm so glad to hear about someone doing the same thing. And yes, I also use Powermid IR repeaters to remotely control the TiVos. The only thing is that I have multiple TiVos broadcasting, so I have to be a little careful about using paired remotes that might inadvertently change a TiVo in a nearby room. I have 3 channels modulated for TiVos (plus 2 unmodulated TiVos), and a 4th modulated for an xfinity DVR, which I rarely use. I do the same thing using the different TV inputs, which requires that I have multiple coaxes in those rooms where there are TiVos and where we also want to watch the modulated channels. Thankfully, I thought of that when we built the house in 2002 and all the rooms (including the bathrooms) have multiple coaxes in a home run configuration back to a central distribution box. Admittedly, I just get a kick setting up things like this, and I refuse to do a cost/benefit analysis :)

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I handle the IR conflict by using unique IR remote addresses (see here). To avoid conflicts, our modulated, IR repeated TiVo Mini has been configured for IR remote address 1, and our in-room TiVo devices are configured for IR remote address 2 (3, etc., if additional in-room devices).

Further, we're using TiVo RF remotes and are controlling the in-room TiVo devices using RF mode, properly paired to the in-room TiVo device, and switch the remote to IR mode, previously configured with IR remote address 1, when we want to control the closeted, RF-modulated Mini via a Powermid.

My biggest problem is the dwindling supply of Powermids and the rate at which they're failing on us. I'm a few locations short, now, where we have to use the TiVo mobile app to control the closeted Mini. edit: Speaking of which, I'm reminded that my earlier comment ...
    ... isn't exactly acccurate, since the lack of IR control of the closeted Mini *has* come up a few times.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Are you using universal remotes or multiple TiVo remotes? I could see how the multiple, modulated TiVos, especially, would present a problem. A simple 1|2 switch or my RF|IR mode workaround doesn't quite cut it.

14. GeneD

GeneD New Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Boynton...
    Sounds like I have something new to learn about switching modes on remotes, especially the new ones without the physical switch.

I'm using multiple TiVo remotes. I bought one separately, but I have also accumulated remotes due to failing TiVos that had to be replaced over the years. And for most functions the older remotes will work on the newer models. I have 3 multi-function Logitech remotes set up for different purposes (so multiple devices only require one remote) that also control TiVos, but I don't use those over the IR repeaters.

15. GeneD

GeneD New Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Boynton...
    lew and mdavej, I'm ordering an HDMI splitter (OREI HDX-102) from Amazon ($20), and will let you know how it works. I agree that I don't want to lose any HD quality on the main TV in the family room. I don't yet have a 4K TV, but I hope it will also allow me to experience full UHD quality when I get a new TV (probably 2-3 months away).

16. BurchSung

BurchSung New Member

May 23, 2018
    Hi..i would like to suggest that use the tivo app on a mobile device if you want to quickly see what someone is watching in the main set and watch for a few minutes. The HD picture on a mobile device has to be better then your modulated SD signal.

calculate percentage

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  17. Furmaniac

Furmaniac Active Member

Apr 3, 2018
    You could probably do that, but you will lose the 4K signal to the television; a 4K television will only get 1080p.
    Amazon does sell a single 1080p device (Enko). It splits a 1808p HDMI into an HDMI and composite ... not requiring a separate HDMI to composite adapter.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  18. Furmaniac

Furmaniac Active Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Does HDMI & Composisite work simultaneously on a Roamio, too?

19. Furmaniac

Furmaniac Active Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Video HD Pluto splits terrifically but you will not get a 4K picture to your 4K TV unless both sides of the Splitter are going to 4K equipment.

20. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Does Roamio even have composite out?