How can I create a wishlist with HD preferred?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ciper, Mar 13, 2008.

1. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004

Advertisements

I would like to create a keyword based auto record wishlist that prefers HD but will still capture SD if its the only option. Currently the only way I know how to do this is the double wishlist hack where you create two identical wishlists except the higher one has the HD category.

Is there a better way? I've had to create MANY double wishlists and it becomes a serious pain in the ass when you want to sort the priorities.

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The double wishlist is the only option, besides removing the SD channel from your Channel List. I think most simply remove the SD channel from their Channel List, which eliminates the need for a second wishlist entry.

Recording SD content from HD channels requires more space, but also generally provides better quality (most providers downconvert their SD channels from 704x480 to 528x480), with obvious exception to those like TBS-HD which stretch and distort their SD. If you've upgraded the drive on your TiVo, or have the external drive upgrade, then the extra space becomes a non-issue.

3. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I have a 4:3 HDTV. Recording SD content from HD channels results in a Pillarbox and letterbox picture. SD on HD channels gives me about 16 diagonal inches.
    The extra space is an issue. I was used to 700+ hours of recording time on my S1 and my THD only has 1tb of space which results in only ~160 hours of HD.

4. h00ligan

h00ligan New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    can't you just zoom it then? which would basically be like the station doing a pan and scan but with high def quality? You can get external drives too, fwiw.

5. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004

Advertisements

No I cannot zoom. This is not like an LCD/Plasma. When a 16:9 image is sent to the display it adjusts the electron gun to only paint the center of the screen to increase the image quality.
    I have zero interest in external drives. I have already fabricated a 3 drive mounting tray and I think I've found a good replacement power supply. I plan to disable the onboard Sata port multiplier and replace it with an equivalent 5 port device.

I was able to get Silicon Image to send me the full technical document for the 5723. Surprising enough not only does it support raid, which we already knew, but the pins required to adjust the raid level seem to have very easy to access pads on the motherboard. It looks as if Tivo planned to use them in some way. I cannot share the document because its under NDA but I'm sure you could convince them to send you a copy.