How can I change my tivos time without calling them

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by penguin1029, Dec 18, 2011.

1. penguin1029

penguin1029 New Member

Dec 18, 2011
    I am on a unsubbed box and i want to change the time w/o calling tivo, for i can keep access to manual recording.

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    There is no way to reprogram the clock manually.

You will have to adjust your manual recording times to compensate for clock drift.

3. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    What version of TiVo do you have?

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    When you make a connection, the first thing it does is set the clock. The second thing, is it checks your account status. If you can make a connection and then interrupt it after the time set but before the account status check, you may be able to get the clock to the correct time. I've never attempted this so you do so at your own risk.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    What he said.

I'd only try it on an S1 (and make sure you have a truncated back up of the drive).

You go into the phone menu and probably best to tell it to make a test call, watch the screen with one hand on the phone cord, and you should see the words "setting clock' appear momentarily, as soon as they disappear, pull the phone cord.

If it doesn't do this during test call you'll have to select "make daily call now" and be real quick with that cord.

6. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I had a sub S2 that I had not turned on for about 6 month, the time was off about 4 minutes, this was the DVD model that had the time on the front panel. After a connection it took until the full download was finished and the loading started before the clock changed on the front panel. I don't know if this helps or not.

7. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    I have an un-subbed S1 that I let call in to keep the time accurate. It calls automatically about one a week and sets the time. Does not affect functionality at all. No need to pull the cord. (BTW, my un-subbed S1 is set to manually record a security camera 24 hours a day, in 2hr increments.)

8. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    If the Tivo is hacked you can always run a linux ntpdate program. I had one running from my cron until I realized tivo was resetting the clock on connection.

Be sure to set the Tivo to connect via phone so it doesn't call home while you have it connected.

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    S1s manufactured before a certain date that originally came with a particular version of the software have more non-subbed functionality than later S1s.

10. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I started my Tivo experience with a pair of unsub Philips S1's that had the newest (3.0x) SW and they were able to manually record (i.e.: set time and channel). Can't remember the manufacture date on them.

11. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    If it's an S1 Philips, it shouldn't be a problem to leave it connected. That was my previous experience with a pair of them.

12. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I am using a Series 3 HD Tivo for security camera recording without a sub, and it works fine, but the time is incorrect. It seems to me that I read somewhere that you could set the time manually by using the remote control, but I can't seem to find how to do that.

I don't have it connected to a computer and don't want to change the time that way.

13. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    http://tivo.drosoph.com/
    I looked through all these codes for one that would set the time, but don't see any that fit. Sorry if I have ask this question before, but I don't really remember due to some short circuiting in my brain.

14. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I have never heard of a way to manually set the time on a Tivo (my experience is S3 and beyond).

I think I have read that you can do this with a hardware hacked Tivo with the help of a computer, but that's probably no help for your situation.

15. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I may have to experiment with the connect and quick disconnect method with some other tivos that I have to see if I can get the timing down. But I no longer have a home phone, so using broadband may be difficult to disconnect fast enough so I only get the time update.
    I may play around with an extra tivo and see if I can discover a way to do it. Maybe using the remote to set the time somehow.

16. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Perhaps you are thinking of the backdoor or SPS codes for causing the clock to display onscreen or not.

I'm pretty sure TiVo decided they didn't want it to be possible for anyone but them to set the machine's clock, so they didn't have to deal with complaints about stuff not recording when it was supposed to have.

(if you have an event log file, and you change the system time, at what time does the file say you changed it?;) )

17. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    With a broadband connection, you may not be fast enough.
    Time is set during the 'connecting' phase of the Tivo call home and right after setting the clock, the Tivo checks account status.