How are wavered/national network feeds billed for HD+SD?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by JaserLet, Jan 7, 2006.

1. JaserLet

JaserLet New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Midwest
    Because I live out in the boonies, I can only get a few of the big networks over-the-air. I can get PBS and CBS perfectly (new digital transmitters nearby), sometimes ABC comes in clear, but Fox (West Dakota Fox) and NBC have a horrible picture often unwatchable. My distance and the hilly terrain have keept even the largest antennas and amps from letting me watching Fox and NBC in comfort.

So I'm going to attempt to get Fox and NBC wavers, maybe ABC too.

My question is this: how are the national network feeds billed for HD and SD? Only one of my recievers is HD (HR10-250) but the other two are SD. How much should I be charged for both flavors of the feeds?

I'm weary because DirecTV tried to overcharge me by billing me two DVR fees when I added the HR10-250 to my account. I swear DirecTV, Dell, and Vonage must all use the worst lowest bidder customer service outsource contractors they can find.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    If you are granted waivers for DNS, you pay for each channel. If you also subscribe to the HD package then you may also get the HD net feeds. This isn't very consistant. The rules have changed and I haven't figured them out. I'm grandfathered in from a few years ago. I pay for the SD network feeds, both east and west, and I get the east coast HD feeds (used to get the west coast HD as well, but the rules changed and I lost them). But, I'm not sure if I get the HD because I pay for the SD feeds or because I have the HD package. I'm not willing to change anything for fear of losing the HD feeds.

3. clueless2

clueless2 New Member

Jun 24, 2004
  4. JaserLet

JaserLet New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Midwest
    Wow, that website is basiclly worthless.

It shows "Grade A strong signal" for three digital stations that don't even exist yet (two of the three aren't scheduled to go on the air until 2009). It also shows "Grade A strong signal" for our NBC station which has been broadcasting at low power since summer 2005 due to transmitter problems.

In fact, the only station it lists as "eliglible" for DNS is actually the station with the best signal in the area, for both analog and digital.

I guess I'll call DirecTV in the morning and see about starting the waver process.

5. Dirac

Dirac New Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Florida
    I'm also grandfathered in and get both SDs and west coast HD. But, I'm nut sure if I get the HD because I pay for the SD feeds or because I live in the LA DMA. :)

I still got them when I didn't have the HD package, though. I don't think that's required.