How are TiVo Suggestions made?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TazExprez, Aug 23, 2015.

1. TazExprez

TazExprez Member

May 31, 2014

Advertisements

I just received my 2 Roamio Basic boxes this past Thursday and was able to actually fully activate them on Friday. I have 19 OnePass selections on 1 and 5 on the other. The 1 with 19 OnePass entries has 17 TiVo Suggestions, while the 1 with 5 has 24 TiVo Suggestions. I have left both of the boxes on HBO for most of the time and I have also watched CNN with them. I have not used Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down on anything. I am still testing them out and most of my Verizon FiOS boxes are still connected.

Are the TiVo suggestions made based on what you watch and on what you have scheduled to be recorded? I thought you had to use Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down. I like the some of the Suggestions so far, but I will probably delete most of them. I can't believe I would have close to 50 shows on my TiVo boxes in just 3 days! I will definitely need to upgrade my Roamio Basic boxes to 3 TB, each, if I keep them and don't upgrade to the Bolt series!

2. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Everything you specifically schedule to record except for manual recordings gets an automatic thumbs up.

3. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Suggestions only take up whatever free space you have available. If you fill the HD with recordings you actually asked for, there won't be room for any suggestions. And if there are suggestions and you schedule recordings, the suggestions get erased. So don't worry that you need to have a massive hard drive to accommodate the suggestions. They're just empty space filler, nothing more.

Frankly, I hate suggestions and I turn them off the second I set up my TiVos, but that's your call.

4. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    If you record suggestions you won't be able to recover programs you delete except before the next program records. I myself prefer to record things on purpose only, but lots of people like TiVo to discover stuff for them.

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish

Advertisements

As others have said, anything you record gets an automatic single thumbs up.
    However you'll get far better results if you take some time and every now and then give the suggestion system more input with multiple thumbs up and some thumbs down. The suggestions engine views its mission as to fill the drive with things you want to watch, if you don't help it, it will never know what's right and what's wrong.

My personal example is that I was able to get the suggestions engine to only record NASCAR Sprint and Xfinity items and have it not record Trucks or other motorsports, the suggestions logic gets better the more you train it.

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I'm one who loves suggestions. It's like targeted surfing. Plus, I don't follow entertainment news and new shows, so for me it's often the first time I see new content my TiVo knows I may find interesting.

7. thefisch

thefisch Member

Jul 25, 2015
    I am giving suggestions a try so this topic is of interest to me. Normally I would just want to record what I select but this is a supposed TiVo advantage so I'll give it a chance. So far about half of the suggestions are way off base and I am trying to be diligent in giving them 3 thumbs down before I delete them in the hopes they will improve.

To my knowledge the thumbs ratings are specific to each TiVo and not shared across TiVos on a home network. However, there are suggestions getting recorded on my kids TiVo that are the same as the suggestions recorded on my TiVo . We don't have the same onepasses and I reset the thumbs/suggestions from the help menu after I moved the kids recordings over. This has not a big deal for the most part, except when it recorded the comedy central roast of James Franco on my kids TiVo. Thankfully I have parental controls on for them. But my wife was not happy about that one.

8. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Suggestions get better over time. Starting with a variety of things, and they get narrowed down as more thumbs in each direction are made. Now, giving three is going to not just skip that show, but also similar content. I tend to only give three down to things I will hate hate hate, like infomercials, but only one down to a sitcom I do not enjoy.

You can review thumbs as well. This can be helpful if you record something, get the auto thumbs up, and find you hate it or love it later on.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  9. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    If you record suggestions and leave the tivo to manage itself...

10. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Well, yeah. It stretched my imagination too far to assume someone would spend their time pruning the suggestions folder. But I suppose it's possible.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  11. TazExprez

TazExprez Member

May 31, 2014
    I am using Verizon FiOS and noticed that none of the TiVo Suggestions that I played were recorded in HD. I went into the Settings and could not find any way to set the TiVo Suggestions to only record in HD. Would I have to somehow remove all of the SD channels from the Guide? I have no idea why the boxes would be recording anything in SD since I specified that I wanted all of my OnePass listings to be recorded in HD.

12. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Suggestions don't know HD vs SD, if it bothers you, you can do what most folks do very early on, take a refreshing beverage and deselect the SD channels from the "My Channels" list with the Guide in Grid Guide mode you can sort by channel name and then use the clear button to make quick work of the extra channels.