How are the streaming services on the Edge?

Discussion in 'TiVo Edge' started by mcmnky, Sep 26, 2020.

1. mcmnky

mcmnky Member

Nov 19, 2008

Advertisements

Like many people, we're recording less and streaming more lately. I have a Bolt, but the streaming clients on it suuuuck. An upgrade would make sense if the streaming options worked. So how is streaming with the Edge? We use Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Plex.

(My experience with the Bolt: Netflix is the only streaming that works reliably.

Plex works about half the time. The other half, screen goes back and I either manually pull the plug for a hard reboot or the box eventually reboots itself. Plex then "works" after the reboot, but having to reboot the box to get streaming to work = not working.

Amazon never really worked ever. Maybe I watched an entire program once. Every other time it would play about 10 seconds of video before getting an Amazon error message with a link to a troubleshooting page that basically said reboot the device. Again, having to reboot every time to stream a show = not working. A few times if I started playing something on my computer, then I could continue it on the Bolt, but then that stopped working. I don't even try to stream Amazon with the Bolt anymore.)

Though perhaps I am getting ahead of myself. My first question should be, does the Edge have a Plex client? The TiVo site has a list of streaming apps that ends with "and more" but I can't find what "and more" means.

2. Edwin Shenk

Edwin Shenk New Member

Nov 29, 2019
    I have been using an Edge cable since December. I do a lot of streaming using Netflix and Amazon Prime. I've had no problems with the Edge including 4K. I also have a NVIDIA Shield which also works but the Edge is much easier to use. I don't use Plex but I just looked and it is available in the Edge apps list. Hope this helps.

mcmnky likes this.
  3. mcmnky

mcmnky Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.

4. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    apps for the most part are the same across tivo boxes

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  5. bofis

bofis New Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY

Advertisements

While the interface is the same between the Bolt and the Edge, it's MUCH faster and smoother on the Edge, and I have not had any of the apps booting freezing issues with Hulu or Prime Video as I was having on the Bolt ever since upgrading to the Edge. It's also a much nicer looking box under my TV now, but the extra speed and reliable apps goes a long way.

John Eaton likes this.
  6. mcmnky

mcmnky Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Thanks for the replies! For reference for anyone with the same question, I found this (on the Plex site, their page on the tivo app links to...)
    Tivo Customer Support Community

I took the customer support offer for an Edge to replace my ded Bolt. If the streaming apps work faster (or at all) it will be a good move.

7. Narkul

Narkul Active Member

Nov 7, 2004
    The apps, especially Plex, will work better on Roku/Firestick/Android, and you'll have access to far more.

8. Oct 7, 2020 #8 of 11
    Qwijib0

Qwijib0 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    re: plex I've had much better luck recently by turning off direct play on the tivo, and haven't had a crash since. I think the tivo is optimistically claiming support for things it can't actually unwrap successfully.

9. Oct 8, 2020 #9 of 11
    Faiz din

Faiz din New Member

Oct 8, 2020
    I would like to know from anyone what is the demand for Edge as I might want to be Amazon distributed for it.FAIStars Fashion Beauty care health home and outdoor Accessories

10. mcmnky

mcmnky Member

Nov 19, 2008
    So I got my Edge, and streaming has been great so far. (Which very fortunate as I'm on day 4 of trying to get verizon to reactivate the cable card).

11. rfa5

rfa5 New Member

Jan 1, 2018
    So now a few weeks after you got your Edge, did you finally get the cable card working and how has the streaming been with it? I'm in the same boat as you were...constant black screens when trying to go to You Tube or to Prime. They are the only two apps I use and it seems like I'd always be rebooting the box anytime I try to use them. The worse part was anyone else watching on a mini in the other room now would also lose their picture until the box rebooted. So frustrating! Just wondering how things are working out for you now with the Edge?