Houston, We have problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by reneg, Apr 20, 2009.

1. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002

Advertisements

Houston Area Comcast users: Tivo rolled out the new HD channels in the 600 range today. Unfortunately, they removed the HD channels in the 200-300 range. The Comcast HD channels don't roll out for another week which means your Tivo will try to record shows in the 600 range (which are blank). All my old channels were removed and there is no guide data.

Houston area Comcast users might want to unplug your HD Tivos from the network for the next week.

ARRRGGGG.

Call to Tivo Support yielded no results. It will take us a week to fix it. Idiots.

2. uforia

uforia Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    They've done this before, a year or two ago. That time they had it fixed within a day.

In the meantime, you'll lose all your recordings unless you switch them to non-HD, or want to record the real 300ish channels with no program info attached to it.

3. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Thanks for the heads up. I don't have them yet, but my last update was around 4am. I'm guessing the next update will bring 'em home. I'm keeping an eye on the To-Do List.

The good news is, once we are past this, we will finally have the HD channels we've been missing--SF, AP, TC, Disc, etc. :up:

4. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    glad I came home early or all my monday night shows woulda been lost to me.

5. bluetex

bluetex Wha?

Apr 23, 2005
    Houston, TX

Advertisements

I got my update @5:14.. and I'm now totally hosed! Thanks Alot!!

6. bluetex

bluetex Wha?

Apr 23, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I just called Tivo Support. Ya gotta love how clueless support can be.

7. bluetex

bluetex Wha?

Apr 23, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Comcast confirms .. the date is *SUPPOSED* to be next monday 4/27.

Maybe someone @ Tivo/Tribune got their 420 on too hard today. I'm not impressed.
    :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

8. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    It's gonna be a pita, but I'm not gonna sweat over it. Tivo phone support wouldn't know what was up, all we can possibly hope is someone up the food chain finds out and they send us the correct info and resend the new stuff next week.

9. bigray327

bigray327 New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Yay... Comcast and TiVo raising the bar yet again. :thumbsdown:

10. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Did you all file a lineup report at TiVo's site?

In the notes, mention the changes are to take effect next Monday, not this Monday.

11. bigray327

bigray327 New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Yes, thanks for the link.

I'm gonna start holding my breath riiiiiiiiight... NOW! <deep breath>

12. nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    This sucks, but I'm excited that we'll actually be getting new HD channels finally.

13. visionary

visionary HAVE BRAIN WILL USE!

May 31, 2006
    Norfolk Va.
    Wait till June 12 and all those channels change for us antenna users, Tivo has not even begun to see complaints. I only will lose ABC here. To make matters worse, the CW station here, 33, is moving HD from 36 to 33 April 26, they cut analog already, and I assume I will have no guide data till June for it. (But only one show, Top Model, is affected and it isn't even HD) ABC will be a LOT worse!!!

14. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    Hi folks,

We confirmed that Comcast indeed provided the info with an effective date of this week - and never communicated that it was pushed out an additional week. We will be pushing the update to the affected lineups shortly, but some lineups will list the channels on both positions (200s and 600s) until next week.

15. rossman66

rossman66 New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    That's good news. Thanks for the update!

-Mark

16. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    This time, can you actually remove the channels from the list instead of just unchecking them in the Channel list and removing data from them?

It's bit of a pain going through setting up favorites etc, it's like having a Dish network lineup. :) The channels do no good sitting in the list.

17. Lajonesin

Lajonesin New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Houston
    Just got off the phone with tech. support and was told it couldn't be fixed for 48 hours. Going to put the old line-up back into the guide data and then input the new data on the 27th. This is really a pain!!!! Come on folks, get it right. You knew this was coming so it should have been easier to do the switch over than this. Not happy.....

18. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    Did you bother to read Jerry's post?

19. Lajonesin

Lajonesin New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Houston
    Yes, I did bother but I wasn't sure how long 'shortly' would be. Just letting peeps know that the time frame is actually 2 days out. Sorry for disturbing you.

20. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    Some suggestions:

1. When a lineup change control script is created, simultaneously and automatically prepare and send out another script that will back out those changes, just in case. That back out script could then be run by the end user using a special key combo or a deeply buried and obscure menu choice.

2. Manually verify all lineup changes that affect the major broadcast networks. For example, a simple Google News search would have found this April 17th Houston Chronicle article: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/tv/6379114.html
    stating the change was on the 27th. Seeing this article might have caused someone to raise a red flag. Out-of-band communications are useful and need to be looked at.

3. don't run major lineup change scripts at the same time you load the schedule info after the TiVo calls home. Use a scheduling function to the scripts at the same time the cable company is scheduled to make its changes. Maybe even have the TiVo verify that the script should be run just prior to/after the scheduled implementation.