House: Worth Getting Previous Seasons? (No Spoilers Please)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Sirius Black, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...

Advertisements

I've been watching House reruns for the last few weeks and this show is just plain great. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to like Dr. House or not but I think he is one of the more interesting screen doctors I've ever watched.

I don't even know which season they are showing or how many seasons there have been but I'd love to know if the show is consistently as good as the last few episodes they've shown throughout the seasons (number ?) and whether or not based on these episodes I would enjoy it from the beginning.

Can't believe I didn't give this a chance when it was first on.

Try to give opinions without spoilers, if possible.

Just noticed I'm in the wrong room for this. Admins can move if they want.

2. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Oh yeah, House is fantastic. You should at least Netflix it if you can't find a good deal on previous seasons.

3. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    It hasn't been the same since that episode where all that stuff happened.

4. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    You mean where they all got married, had babies, cheated on each other, then died?

5. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard

Advertisements

I think it is consistently great. Watch them all.
    There are loose plot points that come in handy from time to time- the evolution of the team, House's parents, his and Cuddy's relationship, his ex.
    Could have done without the David Morse eps (and I love David Morse) and I hated Chi McBride's stint, but you can certainly skip any you find annoying. They are few :D

6. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    You have to get season one for that one episode where House is all cranky and he goes against what everyone and medical convention says is the right diagnosis because he suspects its some disorder that nobody else thinks it is. Then after a whole bunch of tests are run and the patient almost dies two times he finds that one obscure clue that ties it all together. That episode never gets old.....

7. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Nah, all the OTHER stuff!

To answer the OP, absolutely, yes. There are often sales on the early seasons. Not sure what you're watching now and it's hard to determine where in the overall story you are, but the main part of each episode (the diagnosis part) is different each week. However, there's a wonderful sub-plot showing House's relationships with Cuddy and Wilson that is rich with great comic timing and pathos.

...and, of course, you being a fellow Brit, appreciate the genius that is Hugh Laurie!

8. JustAllie

JustAllie Number crunchin' TCF Club

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    I love that episode! I've seen it dozens of times!!! :up:

;)

9. choccy

choccy "."

Jan 1, 2001
    Start from the start, watch them all in order. It's well worth your time.

10. Avian

Avian New Member

Aug 18, 2000
    This is the entire show in a nutshell, but I guess you could watch the past seasons to catch up on the ongoing plot, or you could just read about it on wikipedia.

11. Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    Hugh Laurie IS great. On the other hand, they have this episode ... problem ...

12. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    Sirius might have been a brit, but I live in Tampa and have, unfortunately, never been to the UK. Something I hope to remedy next year.

Thanks all for the advice. I've added all the seasons on DVD (four of them) to my queue. As long as it is compelling, there is nothing wrong with formulaic. Look at Law & Order. That is literally the same show every week with no significant character development at all but it's been on for like 20 years.

13. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Thunder. Stolen.

14. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006

Hmm, got my wires crossed. Thanks for putting me straight.

15. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Pest series ever. I have S1 and S2. I need to pick up S3 and S4.

16. unicorngoddess

unicorngoddess Wooooonicorngodess

Nov 19, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Exactly. But the season 4 finale was GREAT and I can't wait to see where they're going this season.

To answer the OP. I started watching during season 3 and quickly realized this is the best show on TV. I bought Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD and don't regret it at all. I haven't bought Season 3 on DVD yet, but that's because I was sick for a couple of weeks back in January and decided to buy the season on Amazon Unbox and have them directly sent to my Tivo. It made me feel better because I didn't have to get out of bed :p

17. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Active Member

Dec 26, 2000
    It's worth it. The show really hasn't had too many stinkers.

18. Ekims

Ekims Don't care anymore

Oct 18, 2002
    Yeah, bout...
    Every episode is exactly like every episode before it!! Seriously.. Except once, it WAS MS!! :)

19. ngsmith

ngsmith Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2002
    Lawrencevill...
    "Three Stories"

20. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Active Member

Dec 26, 2000
    I don't think you have the right diagnosis there.