House without Cuddy - will it work?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by That Don Guy, May 17, 2011.

1. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    According to this report, Lisa Edelstein will not be back on House next season. I for one have a feeling that this confirms that next season will be the last one - especially if Fox sticks to its schedule and changes the show's time slot in the middle of the season.

2. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    They can bring in Kelli Williams from the now-cancelled "Lie to Me," as she's had plenty of experience dealing with a sociopathologically manipulative but brilliant doctor. :)

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think this could actually be a good thing. House, when at its worst, is incredibly formulaic, and part of that formula is House's working relationship with Cuddy. This will really change up the show - how will House work with a new dean of medicine that doesn't know how House works? How will house work without Cuddy around?

It's certainly a big change, that's for sure.

(Oh, and you know this thread is going to piss off anti-spoiler people...)

4. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Hmmm that kind of sucks but its not like her character has been used much lately.

5. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I always thought Cuddy was an incompetent hospital administrator.

Issues with the show I was able to overlook:
    I work at a non HMO hospital, and normally (excluding ER docs) Doctor's don't work FOR the hospital, but they have a symbiotic relationship.
    Doctor's bring patients ($$$ whome have insurance $$$) to hospitals. The hospital provides nurses, equipment to take care of the doctor's patient. Patients get billed by the Hospital and the doctor. House brings very little patients to the hospital, they do TONS of scans, tests

House's case load is very tiny (one patient at a time) plus 4 assistants, all with MD's. Few people could afford such healthcare. If you watch this show and believe this is how healthcare works, you're in for a rude awakening if you or a loved one ever gets sick

Issues with the show I can't overlook:
    House's personality just screams impending lawsuit(s). Also I don't see other doctors (colleagues, not his assistants) putting up with him. The fact that Cuddy sticks her neck out for him so much I would think the board would fire her for not dealing with House.

I stopped watching the show long ago, there's just so many times a character can guess the disease is Lupus, then House shoot's it down, wash rinse repeat episode I could handle.

6. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    IIRC, they have an excuse for this, which, when you think about it, is an incredibly large loophole for some of the doctors. During the first season's "I'll donate hundreds of millions of dollars to the hospital if you get rid of House" storyline, they said that it takes a unanimous vote of the board to fire a doctor, and both Cuddy and Wilson are on the board (so even if you can't vote against your own firing - and I think you can - they can watch each other's backs).

Keep in mind that Cuddy is pretty much alone when it comes to House's methods; when Foreman went to another hospital and tried a House-style stunt, not only was he fired, but word quickly spread and nobody except Cuddy would even consider hiring him.

7. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    House causing the hospital to be sued for his antics is very reasonable....

A few lawsuits to where the hospital is losing money is a plot line I'd like to see.

8. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Isn't Wilson's character gone as well?

9. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Note: I'm really behind on episodes (about 7 or so episodes back) so I don't know if something has happened in recent episodes.

That said, Robert Sean Leonard had given an interview to TVLine (before the decision to renew House was made) that basically suggested he was more or less done with the show. He had accepted a role in a Broadway show, Born Yesterday, and was interested in moving back to his home in New Jersey. However, he also suggested that for the right money, he'd come back.

http://www.tvline.com/2011/04/robert-sean-leonard-house-leaving-born-yesterday/

Following that interview, though, he signed a new deal for season 8.

http://www.tvline.com/2011/05/scoop-house-renewal-imminent/

I would imagine that because he will be on Broadway for most of the time, he's going to be rather infrequent in the next season.

10. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Wilson might be my favorite supporting character.

11. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Everyone other than Lisa, has a contract for next season

12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Will it work? Well, to the extent it's "worked" in the past, there's no reason it can't continue "working." At its core, House is nothing more than a procedural that follows the same formula every episode (diagnosis, negative test, new diagnosis, negative test, new diagnosis, attempt risky test/procedure, patient almost dies, House has aha moment, correct diagnosis). That same formula can still be followed, even if all the other characters other than House left.

Will it still be interesting to watch? It stopped being interesting a long time ago.

13. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Once house and cuddy hooked up, they blew her character on the show. The show will be better off without her. The House/Cuddy relationship era on the show was the most painful in the entire history of the show, so if she is going to be gone it is a good thing, even if it is for the last season.

14. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    As long as it's not Chi McBride I'm all for it.
    The House/Cuddy relationship killed the show.

15. Archangel00

Archangel00 New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Gulf Coast
    Yep, this pretty much sums it up for me too. Really won't miss Huddy at all as long as a the new dean isn't completely awful. (as in the whole Masters crap we had to endure)

The House/Wilson relationship on the other hand is a basic staple of the show and if it ever comes to an end then pretty much so does the show. The times I've LOL'd at thier combined antics is countless.

16. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    It hasn't worked the past few seasons; why should it be any different with her gone?

17. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    it is interesting enough to watch. This would work better in a research/teaching hospital connected with a big University. I think they would more likely leave an excentric like House as a doctor because of his teaching and diagnostic abilities.

18. Archangel00

Archangel00 New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Gulf Coast
    Umm it is a teaching hospital, Princeton‑Plainsboro Teaching Hospital (PPTH), connected with a big university....albeit a fictious hospital and a fictious connection. The whole show is based on advancing the art of diagnostic medicine through the most difficult of hand picked cases. Has anyone here actually watched the show?

19. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    How does it work at a real teaching hospital - are doctors considered employees of the hospital, or are they considered faculty and employees of the medical school? Or is it a mix and match of the two?

20. Ekims

Ekims Don't care anymore

Oct 18, 2002
    Yeah, bout...
    Think they will write out of the show by having lupus? :D