House of Cards

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hcour, May 31, 2011.

1. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Any fans of this BBC show? Fantastic 12-hour mini-series from 1990, holds up very well. One of the best I've ever seen. It stars Ian Richardson (American audiences know him best as the guy in the commercials who said "Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?") in an amazing performance as Francis Urquhart, first Chief Whip, then later Prime Minister of GB, who will resort to any underhanded means necessary, including murder, to have his way. It's a joyfully wicked performance, and sets the tone for the nasty, black political humor of the series. If you haven't seen it and like political intrigue, great writing and acting, I highly recommend it.

Apparently there's going to be an American version with Kevin Spacey as Urquhart. Spacey would be great in the role, no doubt, but they're going to have a hard time topping or even equaling the original version. I also wonder how they're going to handle the middle section, "To Play the King", since the whole story centers around the conflict between Urquhart as Prime Minister, and Britain's new King (in another great performance by Michael Kitchen, who played Foyle in the BBC series "Folye's War").

2. kmcorbett

kmcorbett New Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Newton MA
    I remember the original series was excellent.

IMBD says House of Cards (2011) will follow the British government story-line. In other news, Netflix has acquired the series with a commitment to 26 episodes.

3. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    You might well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.

Fabulous series and one of the all-time great villains. I seriously doubt the American version can come anywhere close.

4. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    It's available on either Netflix or Amazon, can't remember which. I OD'd on it a couple of weekends ago. Watched every minute of the entire series over two days. Francis Urquhart (F. U.) is one of the most deliciously evil characters ever portrayed and Ian Richardson did an outstanding job in the part. ;)

5. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I finished it last week. Perfect ending, absolutely perfect.

Definitely one of the best mini-series I've ever seen.