House "Broken" (S06E01, OAD 9/21/09, Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by LoadStar, Sep 21, 2009.

1. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI

Advertisements

I liked this episode. Actually, I almost think it would have been better had this been just a little bit longer... like maybe a House TV movie of 2.5 or 3 hours long.

I was waiting for the House Moment, where he suddenly figures out the medical reason why one of the patients is the way they are... and I was relieved when that moment never came. They came close with the music box, but it wasn't anything medical, fortunately.

It'd be nice if this show would build on House's character development in this episode... but unfortunately, I don't have any confidence that the show's writers trust the audience to deal with change. Something tells me that House will be back to his Vicodin-popping, misanthropic self within 2 episodes. :(

2. JMikeD

JMikeD Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Agreed. I only watched 4 or 5 episodes last year. I got tired of his character. If they go back to same old same old, then I'll drop the show again.

3. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Heh. Housebroken. :D

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet. This is the first season I've given House a SP. But I've seen enough episodes to know pretty much the back story so I won't be lost. Looking forward to it!

4. DLL66

DLL66 Member

Oct 20, 2002
    TN
    This show is AWESOME!

5. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona

Advertisements

Funny you say that, because even though it wasn't a medical diagnosis, I felt like the "magic" music box was just an extension of the same magic bullet formula they use in every other episode of House. How convenient was it that once the "superhero" was finally allowed to give the music box to the woman, they both were "cured" and all was right in the world?

6. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Alan Sepinwall (the NJ Star-Ledger's extremely astute TV critic) said the writers had a "failure of nerve" toward the end of the story. I wonder if he was referring to House figuring out that the music box would cure both Mute Girl and Superhero Guy.

If House returns to his bad old ways within 2 episodes, I'm going to be unhappy because it'll mean that this episode was nothing more than a way for him to get the Emmy for Best Actor in a Drama.

7. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I was riveted by the episode and loved the character development. I was also waiting for the House epiphany moment and felt when he realized the guy was staring at the music box that the girl was staring at - that was the moment.

I thought maybe he would be finding something 'medical' with the way one of the patients was acting and cure them that way. Maybe by telling the piano woman to go home and check around quiet girls pantry to look for stuff that would cause her to have this physical reaction....but I like their solution better.

I sincerely hope his character does not go back to the way he was.

8. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I'm a bit annoyed that this got wrapped up so quickly and neatly. We were led to believe that happened last season, but now I assume we just watched it for real. When the normal main title sequence never came, I thought maybe this would be a more prolonged visit to the mental hospital. Nope, all done with that storyline by the end of the episode. I don't know why the writers are apparently so eager to get back to the CBS Mystery of the Week when they've dragged out much less intriguing storylines to multi-episode arcs in the past. Maybe they thought it was too schmaltzy for "House?"

9. Lopey

Lopey Active Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Ormond...
    I REALLY liked this episode, and wished that the rehab would have gone on longer. I don't by that all of a sudden the dr. lets him go the next day. I was confused by Lydia... I thought at first early on in the episode, that she was a plant by the dr., then when he came back late at night and she was there I thought it was his imagination, because she was a visitor why would she have been there that late?

10. HDRyder9

HDRyder9 Member

Aug 2, 2007
    I love House but I felt like I was watching a remake of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

11. GDG76

GDG76 .

Oct 2, 2000
    Nice to see Andre Braugher - hopefully he keeps this as a recurring role... though man, he has put on a bunch of weight since the last time I saw him...

12. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Aside from Andre Braugher and Franke Potente having serious charisma in this episode, I thought it was complete and utter garbage, and one of the worst episodes of House ever aired. It was completely unrealistic, cliche-riddled, rarely funny, and just an overall mess. None of the emotions were earned and it was completely derivative nonsense. Terrible...

Not to say that the standard formula episodes are writing masterpieces, but at least they are usually funny and mildly interesting. The only possible redeeming quality of this episode is if Braugher has a recurring role in the future.

13. nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    Were we watching the same show? The character of House's roommate got on my nerves. I don't like hyper personalities; they make me crazy. I loved that Wilson finally said no to House and meant it. Wasn't too crazy about the storyline with the married woman falling for House, but they had to put in the emotional break-through somehow.

All-in-all, I liked this episode. I liked House being an ass, and finally figuring out that it really doesn't work. And that it took his almost killing someone for him to get message that he's not god and he isn't always right. House's personality was so extreme that it makes sense that it took an extreme event to get through to him. And I think we all saw the music box thing happening. They'd built it up so much earlier in the episode that they couldn't let it ply through by the end.

14. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    House is always an ass, so it should hardly be a measure for the quality of an episode. His antics weren't all that amusing, unfortunately. There were a lot better ways for him to have his epiphany than to have a direct rip off of 32,098 other mental institution episodes/movies/books. This episode would have been better if it had been just Braugher and Laurie and no one else.

15. unicorngoddess

unicorngoddess Wooooonicorngodess

Nov 19, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Part of me is still waiting for House to have this look on his face that tells us that he was still faking the whole recovery thing.

But it was kind of heart breaking...even though you could totally see it coming...when House took superhero guy to "fly" and then he ends up leaping off the garage. House was just standing their totally helpless as he watched.

All in all...I liked the episode and I think its a good start to what will hopefully be a very interesting season.

16. mrmike

mrmike Custom User Title

May 2, 2001
    At least in the medical arena they have some justification for the quick recovery.
    Rapid turn-arounds on serious mental illnesses are just not the norm and we saw far too many of them in this episode.

On the other hand some of them were handled quite well.

I hope this changes House. The character has room to grow if they'll trust their audience.

17. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, I don't think it's as neatly wrapped as you make it sound. House himself said that he was better, but he wasn't well yet. He's well enough to leave inpatient care, but he still clearly needs continual care from a psychologist, probably for the rest of his life.

If the writers trust the audience, they'll feature this as a continuing element of the show; if they don't, they'll just give up and have House backslide and revert to his old self immediately.

18. kleinman

kleinman On the Battlements

Oct 6, 2003
    Somewhere,...
    During the last scene when he got on the bus they started zooming the camera out. I kept expecting the zoom out to reveal Amber sitting next to him.

19. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it. TCF Club

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    I did, too!

20. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm sure the Emmy was what they were after, but I just didn't find it all that compelling of a performance. In fact, I think he shows more real acting chops in a regular weekly episode than he does in an episode like this where he spends most of the time looking somber and introspective.