House "Adverse Events" (9/30/2008, Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by LoadStar, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1 of 30
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI

Advertisements

I'm not sure what to think of this episode. While I like the P.I. character, the combination of House, the P.I., and Cuddy all scheming against each other almost feels like the show now has one too many insufferably smart person on it.

I wasn't really thrilled with the idea of House messing with Taub for no particular reason. I was going to say "any particular reason, other than..." but then I realized I can't really come up with a believable reason for House to be messing with Taub. Even the PI (what IS his name anyway?) pointed out that a miserable Taub is no good to House, but yet he persisted in trying to mess with Taub's marriage.

I did like the charming if creepy way that the PI flirted with Cuddy. That was some nice interaction.

2. Oct 2, 2008 #2 of 30
    Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    No Wilson at all in this episode. Patient with a hairball biggenr than a baseball. Chase, after preping for a procedure to sever the Vegal (I think) nerve to the heart, just changes in a moment to remving something from the patient's bowel. That is real flexability.

The PI is the most interesting character on the show these days.

3. Oct 2, 2008 #3 of 30
    unicorngoddess

unicorngoddess Wooooonicorngodess

Nov 19, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I really like the PI. I also really don't care about Taub. But that hairball like thingy...that was nasty. And at this point I agree that we just need to cut out Chase and Cameron. Cameron wasn't shown in this episode at all and it is kinda getting annoying that the only time you see Chase is when he's doing whatever surgery happens to be necissary for the storyline.

4. Oct 2, 2008 #4 of 30
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    The solution is to have more Cameron, not less. Get rid of Taub and/or um... Kal Penn and bring back Cameron...

5. Oct 2, 2008 #5 of 30
    TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006

Advertisements

It's like the show has suddenly lost direction, which is a real shame.

I agree that Cameron and Chase are merely decoration and have been since they "left". I believe they have contracts that state a rate of pay "per episode", so as long as they make an appearance, they get paid. I know this is how it works on other shows.

We need more Wilson interaction!

6. Oct 2, 2008 #6 of 30
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    So much for my theory about the writers grooming Kutner. This week it was Taub.

7. Oct 2, 2008 #7 of 30
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    See I would get rid of 13 and I like Taub. I am wondering what he had to tell his wife at the end of the show.
    I do enjoy the interplay between House and the PI and find it interesting that just as he loses his best friend, he finds someone else to hang with.

8. Oct 2, 2008 #8 of 30
    unicorngoddess

Nov 19, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    He had an affair. That is what House was trying to make him confess and was the reason he was keeping him there longer to make him feel guilty about his wife buying him a car.

I like 13...I say we keep her, get rid of Taub, bring back Cameron to the team and I guess if contractually obligated Chase can keep doing the surgeries.

9. Oct 2, 2008 #9 of 30
    needo

needo New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    I am assuming he was fessing up to having an affair. This was revealed in the first part of Season 4. House went snooping around as to why a high priced and well off plastic surgeon was applying to work for him. It was given up that his partners forced him out because he was sleeping with a nurse and was causing issues at work. He left his old job to save his marriage. Evidently she didn't know about it...

10. HoldenBanky

HoldenBanky Insert witty remark

Oct 25, 2006
    NYC
    I don't remember him having an affair and I thought she got the wrong car.

11. unicorngoddess

Nov 19, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    It's why he left his plastic surgery job. He had an affair with the nurse there and when the company he worked for found out, they fired him. In exchange for them not telling his wife, he had to sign a non-compete contract stating that he wouldn't perform plastic surgery again. Which is how he ended up with House. When House went to investigate Taub last year, he contacted his former employee and told him Taub was getting a plastic surgeon job which is how House found out about the no-compete contract and that's when Taub told him the story about the affair.

12. pigonthewing

pigonthewing (& theinstigator)

May 6, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Pro-tip: A silver Porsche convertible is never the wrong car.

...well, unless it was an automatic, I suppose, but from his vantage point, he certainly couldn't tell that yet. ;)

Switching topics, back to the PI, as much I liked him last episode, he was too much this week. He was on the screen too often, talked to much, interacted with House and Cuddy too much, was far too smart, and so was Cuddy, and it was just ridiculous. I agree completely with the OP about this.

And about Taub. What the hell, House? There was seriously no motivation for him messing around with that. None at all. I think House's true colors are starting to show; he's just an ass, plain and simple. He likes to defend that he's "merely breaking societal norms" and "not conforming to someone else's idea of polite" but always do so with some kind of "grander than thou" reason. Not this time. There was no motivation here, at all. No benefit to anyone. He was just being an ass for the hell of it. Not cool.

Which isn't to say Taub didn't have it coming, of course. I mean, he did have an affair. I'm not trying to say he shouldn't have to deal with that, or that House was wrong to make him - merely that House clearly, even more clearly than usual, enjoys making those around him miserable.

13. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    FYP.

Silver is most definitely the wrong color!!!

14. jwjody

jwjody Not enough room

Dec 7, 2002
    Center of...
    I thought House was keeping Taub at work because Taub did feel guilty and was probably going to talk to his wife. The PI pointed out to House that Taub quit his last job to save his marriage and wouldn't Taub probably quit again.

Then House was keeping Taub until the guilt died down so he wouldn't talk to his wife. Then went ahead and started poking anyway.

And I like the PI. He can replace Wilson for all I care.

J

15. MusicMama

MusicMama Member

Mar 6, 2005
    OK, about to cancel the SP on this choker. Don't even watch real-time anymore.
    -- The PI is a (to quote my 15-year old daughter) "real creeper". Way too stalker-ish, although he can play music with House so they don't need the ipod endings anymore. Dump him.
    -- Bring back Cameron and Chase. They were much more interesting than the new 3. Really don't care about Taub's affair. Even more, don't care about 13's sexual prefs. The other guy ... don't care about him either.
    -- Bring back Wilson, fast. House needs this guy to provide some intelligent conversation since Foreman seems to have gotten too quiet and the other 3 are just lame.
    -- Cuddy must be gaining weight in real life or else her costumer is nuts. Who wants to see obviously ill-fitting clothes on a hospital administrator? The character makes way too much $$ to look like such a frump.

16. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, that was essentially the explanation that I got over on TV Squad. That whole sub-plot got a bit convoluted somewhere in the middle and made me lose track of House's motivations (if any).

17. Mrs. Btwyx

Mrs. Btwyx Active Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Mountain...
    *sigh* I am still watching and hoping that things turn around, but it does seem that the show has lost something. It's like it's been watered down. Come on, writers, find your pace again!

I do rather like the PI--he's *very* odd, but he is making me laugh more than most of the other characters these days, and I am very curious to see where he ends up. And the bit at the end where he was jamming with House was neat, House actually looked almost happy.

House's needling of Taub, whether his reason was understandable or not, just bugged me. Maybe Taub made a mistake in the past, but he and his wife seem to love each other, don't mess with that!

I don't have much else to say about this episode, and that fact also points to the show being less interesting. Please tell me that this slump is a temporary aberration. :(

18. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    This PI thing being injected into the story is tiring already. I'm getting flashbacks of the Tritter nonsense. I thought they were going to reboot the show with a mostly new cast, instead they're making the new characters more and more like the old characters, while leaving the old characters around at the same time to make these worthless cameos. This is crap.

19. ScubaCat

ScubaCat Shades of Blue......

Jun 26, 2003
    N.E. GA
    I thought the show was starting to fade last season but then the two-part final was through-the-roof excellent. I couldn't wait for the new season. I was hoping that quality would continue. I have been very disappointed in the first two shows. There was always something interesting about House even when he was being a jerk. Now he's just being a jerk. It's not fun to watch.

I read a magazine article about the show which said that due to the writers strike last year there were a lot of planned plot lines that didn't make it to the screen. I'll give them that. The article also gave a few spoilers for upcoming plot lines which I won't post here but that do give me hope that things might get better.......might. I'll watch for a while longer.

20. jehma

jehma Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    Yes, I was disappointed in this episode too. I'll give it some time to improve, but if it continues like this it's off my list. The PI is an interesting character, but it says something when the new guy monopolizes two full episodes to the exclusion of almost all the other characters. I miss House's stints in the clinic, too. It's become formulaic and boring.

Music Mama - I noticed Cuddy's suit coat was at least 2 sizes too small. I think they were going for "sexy", but IMO missed the mark.