Hotel Babylon

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by BobB, Aug 27, 2007.

1. BobB

BobB Devout Tivonian

Aug 26, 2002
    Brookline, MA

Advertisements

I can't believe this show has been on for three weeks and no one's posted about it yet! It's a witty, subtle and well-done bit of British fluff, about the goings-on behind the scenes at a five-star London boutique hotel.

No other fans out there?

2. nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    Are you kidding? I love this show! I bet there are lots of fans out there.

I find the programs on BBCAmerica in general are better than most of what is being produced for US television. Even when the US show is a direct rip-off of a Brit show, the Brit version is better. I could save a fortune on my cable bill if I was willing to drop down to a level that did not include BBCAmerica.

I can't wait for the next episode!

3. BobB

BobB Devout Tivonian

Aug 26, 2002
    Brookline, MA
    Except for HBO and a few other exceptional shows (The Shield and Rescue Me come to mind) I have to agree with you. And the American version of Coupling was just pathetic compared with the British original.

4. Dignan

Dignan _

Jan 27, 2002
    _
    Downloading both seasons now, thanks for the heads-up.

5. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA

Advertisements

I love it too.

I've been a fan of Tamzin Outhwaite since her Red Cap days but I'd enjoy the show even if she weren't on it...

6. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    We found Hotel Babylon less interesting than the build-up to it led us to believe it was. It's good filler, but as soon as the new (US Fall) television season starts, it wouldn't have a chance of retaining our interest. (Jekyll, on the other hand, was EXCELLENT.)

7. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I've watched the first two episodes. I like it. I don't know, but I'd guess that's there plenty of crap on British tv. We just don't get to see it.

8. BobB

BobB Devout Tivonian

Aug 26, 2002
    Brookline, MA
    That's certainly true! I visit the UK a lot on business and have seen more crappy British TV than I care to think about (in hotels it's that or the ubiquitous CNN). However, I saw the previews for Hotel Babylon over there a couple of years ago and have been waiting ever since for it to get to the States.

9. 7thton

7thton No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place

Mar 3, 2005
    I like it a lot. They guy who plays Charlie (Max Beesley) is a favorite of mine. He was also good on a show called Bodies. BBCA showed season 1 of Bodies, but not season 2. I had to get it...elsewhere.

10. c3po33

c3po33 New Member

Sep 1, 2002
    South FL

I remember her fondly from 'Red Cap' myself.

I love this show & see it On-Demand each week were each episode in 54 minutes long, so less stuff is cut out to make room for commercials.

11. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Good idea, thanks! I normally only watch HD stuff OnDemand (like Mad Men); I hadn't realized that BBCA had longer versions of some of their shows available.

I'll have to see if Torchwood's episodes will also be shown in a longer version OnDemand...

12. nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    I never thought of checking OnDemand for this stuff. I've got to check it out now. Thanks.

13. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    How long does it take for the episodes to show up OnDemand? Wednesday's episode isn't listed yet...

14. barbeedoll

barbeedoll New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    I'm hooked, too. However, after Episode 101, the next four had the wrong title with the actual content of the episode. Even so, I've been able to see the first four.

I'm recording all the repeats for the next few days to try to see which one is actually "Rebecca is Back With Her Husband", regardless of what they call it in the listings.

Barbeedoll