Hot Glue for running ethernet?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rasmasyean, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Aug 2, 2011 #1 of 23
    rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried using hot glue for running ethernet to their router in another room. Will this work well?

Or what are some other options besides nailing those taks onto the walls?

2. Aug 2, 2011 #2 of 23
    Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    I wouldn't bother with the mess... you can get good enough speeds by using MoCA adapters. Even Powerline will work fine for anything you can throw at a TiVo.

3. Aug 2, 2011 #3 of 23
    rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Why do I keep hearing about Moca adapters regarding TiVo's? Does everyone except me have built in coax cables in their walls? :confused:

You can share internet over a power outlet?

4. Aug 2, 2011 #4 of 23
    Tico

Tico Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Dec 9, 2002
  5. Aug 2, 2011 #5 of 23
    SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...

Advertisements

If you have wall to wall carpeting there is a space between the baseboard and the tack strip where you can push the wire down into and you wont see it. You can also use the plastic cover strips for hiding it. They have an adhesive strip on the back that will stick to the baseboard.

6. Aug 2, 2011 #6 of 23
    rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
  7. Aug 2, 2011 #7 of 23
    Wingershute

Wingershute Member

Oct 22, 2010
    I use the Belkin Moca adapters. I have my WHS, Blu Ray player and LCD connected. They run a little slow but get the job done. However, for large files it lags.

8. Aug 2, 2011 #8 of 23
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Umm, yes, they have coax in their walls -- it's called the cable company wires! AFAIK, Moca goes over those.

The powerline ethernet adapters don't work across circuits, etc. I don't think they'll work as well as the Moca ones will. I could be wrong.

9. Aug 3, 2011 #9 of 23
    rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Ohhh...so the MoCa devices can run into a splitter through the same coax on the TiVo end as well as on the cable modem end? It doesn't interfere with the cable signal?

I thought you needed another dedicated coax just for the MoCa devices.

10. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    What does "across circuits" mean? On a separate electric meter? So if you're in like a 3 family house, you can't put it across floors?

11. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    The majority of single-family homes in North America have two phases (or "legs") of 110 volts coming into their electricity panels. From the panel, they are distributed throughout the home, providing power to outlets and wall switches. These phases come together in some parts of the home to provide 220 volts of power to large appliances, such as an electric oven or pool pump.

If you try to use Powerline to talk to devices across phases the performance will probably be degraded.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Plus with Powerline adapters you can't use a UPS. So if the power goes out, you will lose the connection.

I had concsidered them a few years ago for my girlfriends house, but since it couldn't work througha surge protector or UPS I set the TiVos up with wireless. So nothing will go down during a power outage.

13. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    X10 has this problem and sells a crossover to go between the two phases of 110VAC but most people are not going to open their electrical panel to install this kind of hardware fix if such a hardware fix is even sold for PL RJ45 adapters.

14. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Typically anyone using a TiVo has either a centralized Cable hookup from their cable company hookup up to the TiVo, or an OTA antenna somewhere in the attic or on the roof and has cabling going to the TiVo. MoCA runs over that same cable, side by side with the Cable/OTA signal, that's why it's a good choice for TiVo users.

Now, if you don't have centralized cabling (It must be a really old house), then Powerline may work for you. However, if the house is old enough to not have in-wall coax, then the electrical circuits will probably not be in tip-top shape and may cause issues with Powerline.

15. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    The "3 family house" situation might work, but the adapters definitely have to be on the same power company transformer. And as andyf says, if both adapters aren't on the same phase or "leg" of the transformer, they may not communicate very well.

16. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Is there a danger that one day the cable company will decide to use the band MoCa uses and cause interference? Or is this a frequency that the cable company definitely won't use for some practical reason?

I don't have in-wall coax, but the cable company runs lines from the tall poles, through the wall, and along the inside corners. But come to think of it, I have 2 cables coming in (one from the back, and one from the front). As you may suspect, one of them goes to the TiVo, and the other to the cable modem. I'm not really sure if they can be treated as one segment.

17. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Is there a way to tell if there is "one transformer outside" or something like that? Or is that buried in a manhole?

18. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    Most residential electric distribution is built with a single transformer. However, it is possible for a Delta or Wye supply.

In my experience, the more critical factor is whether the two outlets that you plug your PLC devices into are on the same circuit breaker of your home panel, because added interference may be introduced if not.

But here's the deal: Instead of seeking to determine all of the EE factors involved, why don't you buy a pair from Amazon or Egghead or whoever has a good return policy, see if they work on your installation, then keep them if they do, return them if they don't?

Just sayin... :)

19. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    It's not practical for them to ever use it... it's safe to use for MoCA.

Do you have a router?

Placing one MoCA adapter between the TiVo and the coax cable coming into it, and the other adapter near the router (Hopefully you have an area with both a coax and router access) will provide you with wired Ethernet-like speeds and stability.

20. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    In the U.S. the transformers are usually up on a nearby utility pole. Visually follow the service drop wires (supplying power to your house) to see which transformer you're connected to and who else may be on it.