Horrible TiVo Customer Service

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mtfbwy, Sep 26, 2008.

1. mtfbwy

mtfbwy New Member

Dec 17, 2003

Advertisements

Two months ago TiVo broke my HD DVR with the 9.4 update. They claim the bug is on Time Warner's end but RIGHT AFTER the 9.4 update and reboot our box no longer worked with our cable card. I bought our HD box fairly recently and paid for one year of service in advance. We have been without reliable TV for two months.

I have been calling TiVo weekly and it seems nothing is being done. I asked if I can get my money back for the year I paid in advance or for them to buy back my TiVo since their software update broke it and they just tell me "no". They claim that Time Warner is now working on it and the bug is on their end. This game of going back and forth is utter BS.

I have had the service for years now and just recently bought the HD DVR to have it disabled by a software update and absolutely no recourse.

2. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    What's the bug? How is it broken?

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If it is a cablecard issue, TiVo can't fix it. You need to provide more information on what problem you are having.

4. kennedy

kennedy Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Northeast Ohio
    I can confirm this bug with 9.4. Where I live, a Scientific Atlanta / Motorola Overlay system is in use by Time Warner. There are pockets of towns within our area where TiVo HD/S3 will NOT work with cablecards since the 9.4 software update. Yet if you move the same cablecard equipped TiVo over to another town it will work just fine. I actually gave my local TW head technician my TiVo HD to take back to their office to troubleshoot. They have had several conference calls with TiVo over the issue and have determined that something in the 9.4 software does not play nice with how our local Overlay system is configured. They've been in possession of my THD for over two weeks and still no resolution. I'm starting to get impatient. There are a bunch of people apparently in NE Ohio and Maine that are completely down since the 9.4 update hit. Not good.

Edit: The symptom is COMPLETE loss of Digital (and even Analog) channels after the TiVo has been running for a few minutes. SA Cablecards are being used.

5. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

Advertisements

Interesting that you also have Time Warner, kennedy.

Fits in with what the OP was told, that's it's a TW issue.

In effect, they've sabotaged the use of cable cards on their system.

I'm sure the FCC would be interested in hearing about this.

6. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    this was not sabatoge but the kind of headaches and roadblocks you hit with multiple companies involved.

TW and Tivo look to be very hard at coopartive work to get this resolved but it is not just change some if thens or reconfigure some properties. Sounds like some serious dig into the code troubleshooting work to me.

7. kennedy

kennedy Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Northeast Ohio
    I don't think it's a case of intentional sabatage as the TiVos work fine in most parts of the Cleveland market. But indirectly, you are correct, we are completly unable to use cablecard technology in our TiVos.

Our local (neighborhood) cable system is very unique in that within the last 7-8 years it has transitioned in ownership from MediaOne --> ATT Broadband --> Comcast --> Time Warner. It has been patched together each time to function under whatever technology was preferred at the time ownership change occurred.

8. eyelovemychevy

eyelovemychevy New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Southern...
    I feel you on the horrible Tivo customer service. I called last night and had to be transfered to a tech. Waited for about 20 min and finally talked to someone. He asked if he could put me on hold and hung up on me. I called before they were closed and since I waited forever to talk to someone they were already closed. I think they were just trying to get rid of customers. If that's the case they should not have had me wait. I hate having to call their call center. No matter what time it is you are always waiting.

9. MattyMan

MattyMan New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    You'd think that Tivo would test things like this before releasig new software...

I guess their developent budget's right up there with their customer service budget.