Horrible feedback thru my sub and stereo after tivo install (1of2 probs)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by elite, Mar 25, 2017.

1. elite

elite Member

Mar 23, 2017

Advertisements

I am so frustrated.

Moca not working 1st - Ill post separately.

I got this POS tivo after hours of comcast here.

The second the cable from outside is plugged in the stereo and sub get a horrible feedback - Its not even usable. WTF.

I dont understand where the interference could be coming from - they used the same lead to come into the house.

Thoughts?

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    What kind of feedback? Buzzing or humming? That would tend to indicate some kind of ground loop. Never had to troubleshoot that before especially with a cable input but hopefully someone here has some experience. I'd probably start with verifying that he grounded the cable coming in and to what. You also mentioned a few splitters so try eliminating those and the other connections so it's a straight shot from the cable from the pole to the TiVo. They did replace all the Dish splitters with new ones?

Scott

3. elite

elite Member

Mar 23, 2017
    ground cable looks ok....comes to the first connection in the box. I have no way to check but I have comcast coming out so they can rerun the ground and any wire that wasnt replaced. As far as Dish splitters it looks like they are using all new ones. The only thing they didnt replaced was the short run coming in the house from their new connection and the modem run which is in the basement - I will ask them to replace both of those - If that doesnt work...I dont know what to do because the Tivo is the last piece and I cant imagine its the box. Thanks for advice - After thinking it through I was thinking ground too - but we will see. Hard to get Comcast to help but I will see what happens upon my visit.

4. Drano32

Drano32 Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I am on Comcast as well. I had the same general issues and I found the TII 220 "Ground Loop Isolator" for Coax/Cable TV on Amazon. Only $20 and it completely eliminated the annoying audio feedback/buzzing I was experiencing. Small device that reminds me of the MOCA POE filter that I also had to use. For the specific coax cable that is creating the issue,the device is attached at the end of the coax cable you are trying use. Then the other end of the device connects directly to the Tivo device you are using (in my case, it was a Mini, in your case it would be your Bolt). I can post a link if you would like but this provided a 100% solution for me.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    elite likes this.
  5. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...

Advertisements

My "system" had a ground loop related to the cable tv system, it caused video problems.
    I fixed it by grounding the first coax splitter, to the "earth" ground for my home.
    A few years later the cable co (timewarner), while replacing a squirrel chewed coax at the pole, to the house, grounded the coax cable to my home's electrical panel. The tech said it was a new code requirement.

6. elite

elite Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Comcast here....installed new ground wire - replaced all wires. We tested it directly off the pole too.....we changed the signal, very good connection with very little noise as well. Still horrible feedback. Cant figure it out....I guess its electrical, but why would it just start the day comcast installed their service UNLESS the bolt box is bad....which I guess is entirely possible. All I can do us buy another one and see.....I had doing that and returning but it may be my only resort.

7. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Do you get the same issue when you connect the TiVo directly to the TV or only when it's connected to the receiver?

Scott

8. elite

elite Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Sure. Shoot the link over I'll check it out.

9. elite

elite Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Actually connecting it directly not thru receiver. Using audio spdif cable for audio from TiVo to receiver. The HDMI is probably backfeeding thru the other HDMI that's connected to the receiver. Which in the end is connected to a coax that's connected to my sub that's causing the issue.

10. elite

elite Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Screenshot_20170326-223855.png It's a ground problem. Check out attached pic.....This solved the issue. I broke off the ground on an extra power cord I had.

11. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Which piece of equipment had the grounded power cord - the receiver?

Scott

12. elite

elite Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Subwoofer power cable..... The only other connections is the coax / single RCA cable going back to the receiver. The receiver has an HDMI cable connecting to the TiVo so untimately it's all connected and backfeeding. I may try to ground the Comcast cable splitter in the basement because maybe the ground they installed at the box isn't a strong ground. Or as someone above suggested a filter of sorts.

13. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    No subwoofer attached no feedback ? Around here about only thing a subwoofer did was annoy the apartment neighbors. Somehow the thump of a subwoofer travels and without being able to hear the music, it is more annoying then when being able to hear a song. Hardly noticed a difference with it turned off, so I stopped using one.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  14. elite

elite Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Id rather solve the issue lol...Not using it is 1 solution though :)

15. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    I don't know anything about ground loops, I've never seen one but breaking off the ground does not sound cool.

16. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Not cool and dangerous. If you want more: Ground loop (electricity) - Wikipedia

Teeps and jth tv like this.
  17. elite

elite Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Ground loop isolator looks like it gets good results. Comcast added a moca filter....I don't even know if I need one but can I add this inline ....Just stack it on the other filter? Or can I just put it between the TiVo box and incoming cable? Or right at the sub? Maybe it'll work. Plugging I to different Outlet does stop it....It's a ground look issue for sure. Thought on where? I could remove moca filter. I am using moca but I believe it all worked fine before the moca filter.

18. Drano32

Drano32 Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Like I mentioned in my original post, the ground loop isolator is inserted between the Tivo box (in your case, your Bolt) and the incoming cable (in fact, one end of the isolator connects to the Tivo box itself). I would be happy to post a picture if you would like. You would definitely not want to stack it with the POE filter where the Comcast coax enters your home. And you need to keep the POE filter.

Why worry about having Comcast fix the problem, or all the weird technical reasons the coax ground loop is created/eliminated, if it is an easy $20 fix? Read the Amazon product reviews for this device (TII 220 "Ground Loop Isolator" for Coax/Cable TV) and you'll see your situation described exactly, and it is such an easy fix.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  19. elite

elite Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Ordering the filter now....you could save the day. I dont know if I even need the poe filter but Ill leave it in place, and put the filter right at the box as you suggested. The second I unplug the coax from the tivo it stops....so in a prefect world this will solve it and like you said the reviews look good....im having the exact same issue! Thanks so much. Will order now and test by Thursday...

20. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Leave the MoCA filter alone, leave the MoCA filter alone. Oh, did I forget to mention, leave the MoCA filter alone!!!!

elite likes this.