Horrible DVR Quality

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jaybird28, Jan 11, 2006.

1. jaybird28

jaybird28 New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    I'Ve got a brand new Humax Series 2 DVD w/ DVR 40 and I get terrible quality when I transfer my programs to a blank DVD. I've tried taping on the "Best Quality" and I still get sticking, image failure, and spots when I play back the DVD on a seperate player. Extremely dissapointing. Does blank DVD quality matter that much (I bought a bulk of TDX DVD-R 1-16x?4.7GB) or do I have a bad machine.

We tried transfering a show taped on medium quality and it was a joke. Hardly would play!!!

Help

2. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    A show recorded to DVD should look just like it does on the Tivo.
    Your problem sounds like a recording/playback issue.
    Try picking up some name brand DVD-R's and see if you still have the problem.
    Bad media can definitely be the cause of the problem.
    The DVD player could also be the problem. Is it a late model player?
    My burned DVD's have played on my computers, a very old Sony DVD player (1st generation), and an oldish RP56 but they wouldn't play on a new cheapy Toshiba player.

3. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Do you mean TDK or some brand trying to sound like TDK? Many players are picky about DVD-R media. Some players won't play any.

4. jaybird28

jaybird28 New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    I did mean TDK. I took your advise and played it back on my laptop and there was no skipping. My home DVD player (Panasonic) is a couple years old but I'm sure I didn"t spend a whole lot for it. I've never had problem with movie rentals skipping (for the most-part) but is there anyway to clean a DVD player or is upgarding my player in my future??

5. jaybird28

jaybird28 New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    If I need a new home DVD player, does anyone hav advise on how much I need to spend to get desent quality? Brand suggestions would be appreciated

6. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Movie rentals are on real DVDs, not DVD-Rs. (Unless you're renting them from a pirate ;)) Any player can play those, unless it's totally broken.