1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horizontal update broke TiVo suggestions

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by JoTiVo, May 4, 2018.

1. May 4, 2018 #1 of 18
    JoTiVo

JoTiVo New Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Nonstop recording of random shows on all tuners all day long, despite thumbs up and thumbs down. Still recording shows even after thumbs down. New menu system even harder to get to thumbs down, but once you do it does nothing.

steviet, JayMan747 and JoeKustra like this.
  2. May 4, 2018 #2 of 18
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you do not want suggestions recorded, they must be turned off in the settings menu.

3. May 4, 2018 #3 of 18
    JoTiVo

JoTiVo New Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Missing the point here. Suggestions are now useless as they are random, without regard to thumbs up and thumbs down. It's just recording everything it can...on all tuners. Not new to TiVo and have been happy with suggestions for many years as it learns what you like. This is now not happening.

steviet likes this.
  4. May 4, 2018 #4 of 18
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm wondering if it takes some time for newly-added thumbs to be reflected.

jrtroo likes this.
  5. May 4, 2018 #5 of 18
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I wonder. I saw all three tuners in use several times yesterday. Since I have a Mini connected, this is not a nice thing. While I had a talk show 1P, I changed to a news program with no effect.

6. May 5, 2018 #6 of 18
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Conjecture has been that the update wiped clean your suggestion history. If that is it, it should settle down soon. If it doesn’t, then it is broken.

7. May 5, 2018 #7 of 18
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Mauly and steviet like this.
  8. May 5, 2018 #8 of 18
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Assuming as we have, that suggestions and thumbs have been wiped and are starting fresh, there's a flaw in your thinking of what you did and what it does.
    When you 3 thumbs down a suggestion is should no longer add new episodes to your todo list, however what it does NOT do is cancel or stop any of the existing items in your todo list, they have to cycle through (and there are usually 2 weeks of them) before clearing.

So you can 3 thumbs down a program and it won't add more to the queue, but there are already items the suggestion engine marked for recording that will get recorded.

9. May 5, 2018 #9 of 18
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    My Roamio running Hydra is not doing any useful work so I can mess with it. I turned on suggestions a few weeks ago. I never saw anything trying to record. Since I have only 8 shows on my channel list and guide, it should be easy to spot. When I heard RC6 was rolling out, I power up the TiVo on Sunday. It has just a single 1P and a single manual recording.

Monday night/Tuesday morning I received RC6. After the restart I looked at stuff and was happy to see the unexpected bug fixes especially on the Mini. By Wednesday I saw my first (yes first) suggestion recording. I have no thumbs up. I was told that since my 1P was for a talk show, that other talk shows would also qualify. Ok, having never used suggestions before I thought that was how it worked. Then I saw a kids program with a red indicator. Then I saw all three free tuners with red icons. I performed the reset called clear thumbs rating and suggestions. That had no effect. BTW, my Roamio has no cable card so all recordings except the manual fail. Only recordings in process can be observed.

I am pretty confident that something is not working right. <- That's me not screaming. :cool:

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  10. bluelinex

bluelinex Member

Nov 4, 2007
    My Roamio will now record anything it sees!! In one day it will record over 40 to 50 shows, sporting events, and news programs. What was once one of the best features of TIVO is now so bad I had to turn it off. My COMCAST DVR is almost as good as my TIVO now! I've always said "If it's not broke don't fix it" Over $500 for service plus the cost of the TIVO when you can get almost the same thing from the cable company for almost free with your service, you've got to be kidding. FIX THIS NOW TIVO!!!!

11. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    If it annoys you that much just turn off suggestions until this bug is fixed..

12. random23

random23 New Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Same problem here. Tons of random stuff recording where it was usually pretty good before the update.

13. Cheezmo

Cheezmo Active Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Plano, TX
    I have mostly used suggestions for movies. It hasn't recorded a movie since the update. Just tons and tons of kids shows, news shows, reality TV, etc. that I've never shown any interest in.

JayMan747 likes this.
  14. bluelinex

bluelinex Member

Nov 4, 2007
    I received a reply from TIVO. It was a auto reply saying that as I use the TIVO it will learn what I like and adjust to my recordind likes and dislikes. REALLY!! I have only had this TIVO for 4 years. They have a bug in the software that they have to fix. I think the next move is for the customers to start calling them to point out this bug and let them know that without this feature the cable co. DVR is almost as good as TIVO for a lot less $$$. In the end it's always about the $$$

15. steviet

steviet New Member

Oct 24, 2015
    Has there been any updates on this? I used to like the Suggestions but I’ve since turned it off. I’m amazed something like this got through Tivo QA and also that it hasn’t been fixed yet. This is a huge feature of the box. What’s going on? Anyone with info?

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Some info from TiVo -> May 1 update records more junk suggestions

steviet likes this.
  17. Mauly

Mauly New Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Narragansett...
    TIVO Support told me to 'Clear Thumbs Ratings'. When you do this the on-screen message says it will empty the Suggestions List and no additional Suggestions will record until you rate some programs thumbs-up or thumbs-down. BS! The Suggestions List does NOT empty and even if I manually empty it, the TIVO continues to record all walks of crap - talk shows, news, sporting events, cartoons, .... I tried going through the Suggestions List and rating all of the programs 3 thumbs-down. But the TIVO continues to record additional episodes of the same program.
    I paid a lot of money for this (Lifetime service) but TIVO can't be bothered being honest and fixing their problems.

18. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you do not want suggestions recorded, you can simply turn it off. In Settings menu.

Simply clearing thumbs does not stop it from recording suggestions.