Horizontal Lines & Static Audio

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by RedBeerd, Oct 1, 2007.

1. RedBeerd

RedBeerd New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Pennsylvania...
    Hello All,

Recently my TV started showing random horizontal lines that flicker across the screen along with static audio. This happens during playbacks and live TV. I have a dual tuner series two TiVo. Out of my wall my cable (Comcast) goes to a splitter and one cable goes directly to the TiVo and the other to a small cable box. From the cable box I use the RCA jack cables to connect to the other tuner. As I was troubleshooting this issue I came across a strange thing. Two hours into watching the Phillies game on live TV, the horizontal lines and static audio started. So I changed to the other tuner and changed the channel to the game and it picture was perfect. I press the Live TV button to switch to the other tuner and the horizontal lines were back. Both tuners tuned to the same channel but one has chappy quality while the other is perfect. So, to see if it was the cable box causing the problem I pulled the cables out of the back of the cable box. To my surprise both tuners still had the ball game on. I was expecting the tuner that the cable box is hook up to would be total static but it wasn't. I get these horizontal lines on many different changes randomly.

Please Help. Is my TiVo broken or is it a cable company issue?
    Thanks, -Marty

2. Tornsack

Tornsack New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    I have the EXACT same problem on a *New* dual tuner TCD649080. Rebooting the Tivo corrects the problem for a day or two, but eventually it comes back. The problem seems to be limited to only a couple of channels, but it is very annoying.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

***Updated***

Isolated this issue to my cable modem. My setup is as follows:

Cable in to a 2-way splitter
    - Output #1 goes to the cable modem
    - Output #2 goes to an additional 3-way splitter

Each of the outputs of the 3-way splitter goes to a separate Tivo. Note: Only the dual tuner Tivo has this interference problem.

When I disconnect the cable from the cable modem, or when I power the cable modem off, the interference on the dual tuner Tivo stops. Power on the cable modem (or reconnect the coax if the modem is already on) and the horizontal static lines and audio pop return to channels 3 and 4.

Anyone have any idea how I can block the interference coming from my cable modem? I plan on browsing the radio shack catalog tomorrow, and calling my cable company, but I'm wondering if anyone else had had a similar problem, and can provide some advice.

Thanks,
    TS

3. Tornsack

Tornsack New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    This place sure ain't what it used to be...

Maybe it's time to upgrade to a Media Center PC.

4. djs_snowgod

djs_snowgod New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    I have had the same thing after waiting for 45 minutes to talk to TiVo I found out this. It could be because of the latest updatr if it just started happening. Evidently if affects series 2 boxes and is a software issue they are aware of. I was told they are working on a patch. This may or may not be your issue but if it jsut startwed happenig after TiVo upgraded there is a good chance.

5. retnuh47591

retnuh47591 New Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Vincennes, IN
    Count me in as having this problem too. It hasn't come back a few days after the reboot like it did the forst three times so we'll see.