1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hoping for help on v87 error

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TRMTX, Sep 29, 2018.

1. TRMTX

TRMTX New Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Hi - i'm hoping for some advice on trying to run down why i'm getting v87 errors. Here is a little background:
    - I have a Bolt and a Mini in my setup
    - OTA antenna
    - Comcast Internet
    - MOCA network for the Mini
    - I've been operating with the same setup since I started with TiVO a few years ago and have never had any issues. Some months back (can't remember exactly when) we stated to get intermittent V87 errors on the Mini. Always have been able to recover by going back to the homescreen.
    - It seems like some live TV channels get the issue more than others (but no real data). It also seems more likely to occur early in the day and late in the day (again - no real data). It rarely happens when watching a recording or streaming App. It has happened with a recording. I never recall it happening with a streaming app (but we don't use that much as the apps are a little flaky and the we also have an AppleTV).

I'm thinking, based on reading others experiences, that I need another POE filter between the cable entrance and the cable modem.

I've attached a (bad) diagram of my setup.

Imgur

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks!

TRMTX

2. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    What's your Bolt temperature (ODT in system info). Is your Bolt in a closed enclosure? Heat issues can cause all sorts of problems.

TRMTX likes this.
  3. TRMTX

TRMTX New Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Thank you for the reply. Right now it's 67. It is in an enclosure but that is fairly large and there are no other devices in the enclosure (its not in a stack). What is the optimal temp? I can move it out of the enclosure pretty easily.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Misc thoughts, not in any particular order of importance, relevance or likelihood of resolving your issues...
    • No need for a “PoE” MoCA filter on the cable line since no MoCA signals will be present on that coax.
    • What are the current MOCA stats reported by the Mini or DVR ?
    • Antenna line “PoE” MoCA filter should be installed directly on the input port of the 2-way splitter, and coax runs to TiVos to its outputs.
    • What are the specs of the antenna line 2-way splitter
    • Is there any amplifier on the antenna coax line? If so, where?
    • Do you find any correlation between the issues and Xbox activity ?
    • Have you tried removing the switch from the configuration, direct-connecting the DVR to the router ?
    • What TiVo OS version is running on your boxes ?

TRMTX likes this.
  5. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    67 is pretty hot-I definitely had issues, including connectivity ones when mine was that hot. There are some threads on improving the cooling by (a) putting the bolt on bottlecaps (b) or adding a laptop cooling pad (C) installing a better CPU fan.

That doesn't mean it's your problem, but it might be worth trying to eliminate if your problems persist.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    TRMTX and krkaufman like this.
  6. TRMTX

TRMTX New Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Thanks! See my comments above.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  8. TRMTX

TRMTX New Member

Sep 29, 2018
    I'll move it out of the enclosure and see if that helps. The weirdest part is that this whole setup worked perfectly for years. Could it be the bolt (or the mini) itself?

9. Oct 5, 2018 #9 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Any changes/results?

10. TRMTX

TRMTX New Member

Sep 29, 2018
    No. Nothing I've tried seems to help. I'm thinking of ditching the mini and getting a second bolt that I can connect wirelessly and avoid the MOCA network all together. My only concern is if the two bolts will be able to share content. I may try swapping out the splitter too.