Hopefully easy question - cancel directv, keep Tivo?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by KBecks, Mar 28, 2006.

1. KBecks

KBecks New Member

Mar 28, 2006
    We have a Hughes Series 1 DirecTV unit with Tivo. We have a lifetime subscription.

We are looking at possibly reducing our spending, and might like to cancel DirecTV, but keep the TIVO to record and keep and view our local channels.

Can this be done, and does anyone know what the savings would be going from DirecTV (basic+local) to just the TIVO subscription?

Our unit is at least 3 years old, and we like the service, but we are considering making a change to save money every month. I don't think we can give up TIVO, but we could probably survive w/o directv.

Thanks.

2. Boston Fan

Boston Fan Active Member

Feb 7, 2006
    Eastern PA
    No luck - the combination units are forever entwined. You will be able to view stored programs, but once you cancel D*, your Tivo service goes with it.

Different story with a SA Tivo, but if money is the issue, I find their rate structure prohibitive (not to mention the absence of dual tuners).

3. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    I've lost count of the number of times I've said this in response to other posts, but you do NOT have a TiVo!

You have a DirecTV receiver with TiVo service. This is where the confusion lies. There is no connection to TiVo with the box you have other than the fact that the DVR part is powered (?) by TiVo software. Everything about this box other than that is DirecTV. Therefore there is nothing to subscribe to TiVo WITH! If you give up the D* service, then just like if it was a plain jane receiver, it's next to useless.

The only TiVos out there are the standalone boxes.

4. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    Then stop saying it. If it has TiVo software it is a TiVo. Just because it also has a built in DirecTV receiver does not make it a non-TiVo.

5. Guindalf

Jun 13, 2001
    Does that make a PC a "Windows" or a "Linux"? No, it's a PC that runs Windows or Linux.

It is not a TiVo with a built in DirecTV receiver, it's primarily a D* receiver with a DVR that has TiVo software. The software is the only connection to TiVo. They have nothing to do with billing or even upgrading the software - that's all controlled by the makers of the box - DirecTV. Therefore, under no stretch of the imagination is a D* receiver with TiVo service a TiVo!

My response was to a newbie who has one post and is intended to point out why he can't use his D* receiver for anything other than D* satellite reception. It was not intended to start an argument over semantics with someone who has over 4000 posts and, with respect, should know better!

6. Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Not really next to useless. It can be a space filler for your entertainment center. You can use it to impress your freinds and guests( when they see all the tech gadgets in your system( jus don try and show them how it works)( just tell them its way to complicated for them to understand). You can rip out all the guts and make the worlds biggest roach motel :D . Do the same and make it a hamster habitat( just dont forget to unplug it :eek: ! Seal it up and make a cool remote control boat! Its jus perfect for those experiments to see which object falls faster A directivo with no directv service or a bowling ball! Feel free to respond to this with your own ideas of what to do with a Directivo with no Directv service.

7. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Well you could hack the software on the box and use it for MRV viewing and program storage if fed by a standalone Tivo.

8. Kablemodem

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    Then there is no such thing as a TiVo. There are only DVRs running TiVo software.

9. Guindalf

Jun 13, 2001
    Wrong. The model is more like Apple than the PC. An iMac runs an Apple OS and is therefore an Apple. A clone would not be an Apple, even if it ran OSX.

A TiVo is a TiVo box running TiVo software. A D* box is not a TiVo, but it runs TiVo software.

10. tigersfanjj

tigersfanjj New Member

Oct 23, 2005

Is it a TiVo?

Is it a DirecTV receiver?

If it were indeed a TiVo unit that "also has a built in DirecTV receiver", then you should be able to pay for the TiVo service and it would perform all of the TiVo functions whether or not you have the DirecTV service. It will not do this. However, you can use it with the DirecTV service as a receiver without activating the TiVo service.

So I would have to agree with Guindalf and say that it is a DirecTV receiver with TiVo software loaded onto it.

11. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    TiVo designed the box to work specifically with DirecTV. It shares a majority of the same hardware as a standalone TiVo. Before DirecTV took it over it was call a TiVo. I will continue to call it a TiVo.

Because it does not have the mpeg encoders the standalone boxes do.

12. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Oh & since nobody mentioned this & just in case you were wondering - the lifetime sub is tied to YOUR D* ACCOUNT & NOT the actual D* Tivo box. When you disco your D* service, you also disco the lifetime service along with it. You can't x-fer the lifetime service to a standalone Tivo, nor to another D* customer. (although some people have said they have in the past, but I don't think D* will do it anymore)

Since you (in essense) are getting a bargin with the lifetime service, you might want to give some thought to this before you completely pull the plug on D*... ;)
    Also, since you said you are trying to save $$$, D* does have some "unadvertised" cheaper packages than Total Choice - maybe you might want to call them & discuss this as well, as you'd still be able to keep your lifetime sub intact. (I'd hope anyway)

Matter of fact, someone just posted one here:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=293528

13. Kablemodem

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    My DirecTiVo performed all the functions that a SA TiVo did when I bought it, actually more. But now that it doesn't do everything that a SA TiVo does it is no longer a TiVo? Do I have to pry the TiVo logo off the cover and send it back?

14. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    My GXCEBOT, DSR-6000, SD-DVR-80, and HR10-250 are all incapable of recording analog over-the-air signals and cable inputs, but my HDR-112s and TCD540040 can.

Face it, a D-TiVos primary function is to receive DirecTV programming. I'm fine with that and looking forward to my local ABC affiliate doing HD broadcasting hopefully this Fall so I can pick it up on my HR10-250. I'm also one who prefers the D-TiVo over the SA, but just like the SA, the D-TiVo does have some limitations.

When I picked up my first D-TiVo five years ago, I understood it was different from a SA and that was part of the reason I wanted it. It seems that when DirecTV took it over and dropped the price for service, that clouded the issue because money confuses everything.

15. tigersfanjj

tigersfanjj New Member

Oct 23, 2005

Of course you do. You didn't get the memo? :D

16. Kablemodem

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    Oh, now I think I get it. Whether a DVR is a TiVo or not is determined by the signal source. So when an SA TiVo is recording cable or OTA it is a TiVo, but if it is recording DirecTV it is no longer a TiVo.

By the way, the logo on my DirecTV receiver that is not a TiVo was actually a button that gave me access to the not-TiVo menu, but I pried it out anyway. I also gouged the button off the remote and I am buying a replacement remote for an R10 so I can cut the DirecTV button off of it and glue it onto my SAT-T60 remote. It wasn't that hard, but my DirecTV receiver that is not a TiVo cried a little.

17. tigersfanjj

tigersfanjj New Member

Oct 23, 2005
    No, I think I am starting to get it.

In fact, I just saw a new '05 Viper in ebay for $39000. That's a steal at that price, but I'd probably never get it. After all, the ad says it is a Dodge Ram but it has a Viper engine in it, so it must be a Viper. Not to mention that it can carry a few 2X4's in the bed, so it can do more than the car version.

Not trying to sound like an @$$, but it's just not the same thing as a SA TiVo and that is what the OP was wanting to know.

18. Kablemodem

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    I wasn't commenting on the OP's question. In fact I agree with his plan to ditch DirecTV and go to cable, which is what I plan to do when the Series 3 comes out. I was responding to a statement that a DirecTiVo is not a TiVo.

19. DesignDawg

DesignDawg New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Oh, sad little children. :rolleyes:

20. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Close. It is who you purchase the DVR service, if any, from.