Hope you dont need a new hard drive for your tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by newsposter, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1 of 20
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    or anything else for that matter

due to overseas flooding, the prices for hard drives have doubled recently..check out newegg etc for yourself. One small one i needed for a specific purpose was 50 bucks about 2 months ago, now it's over 100

:eek:

some retailers are even limiting quantities

2. Nov 1, 2011 #2 of 20
    sgip2000

sgip2000 New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Hillsboro,...
    WOW! I should start selling some of my "extras".

3. Nov 1, 2011 #3 of 20
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    actually a quick check of amazon for 1tb doesnt seem like they increased but i just had checked newegg earlier and it's definitely an increase

4. Nov 1, 2011 #4 of 20
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Yeah, no kidding! It was quite a shock the other day when I went to NewEgg. I periodically check HD prices, because I have to add spindles to my arrays from time to time. The number of drive models available was much smaller, and the minimum price for a 3T was $219!!

5. Nov 1, 2011 #5 of 20
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I was wondering how quick that would happen. I read an artilce last week about the flooding that happened at a couple manufacturers. They said hard drives would be in short supply and increasing in price. I guess it's really good for the ones that don't have any flooding issues since they would also be raising their prices for extra profit.

i wonder how this will affect SSD prices. If those stay the same I wonder if it will increase sales of SSDs.

6. Nov 1, 2011 #6 of 20
    Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
  7. Nov 1, 2011 #7 of 20
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yup, unfortunately I do need a drive (basically an 'extra' drive to copy my existing permanently repeating crashing to), to save my existing recordings hopefully.

8. Nov 2, 2011 #8 of 20
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Try finding a My Book AV. According to PCWorld about 40% of the world's hard drive manufacturing capability was lost, but WD told Forbes they lost 60% and it will probably stay that way until at least March 2012.

9. Nov 2, 2011 #9 of 20
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I guess now is the time for me to sell a bunch of my used hard drives. I have a couple dozen 750GB and 1TB drives sitting around that wasn't worth it to sell since the prices were so low. But now I see on Newegg that their lowest hard drive prices are $60 and that is from a small 80GB:eek: hard drive.

The 750GB hard drives are now selling for $110:eek: or more from Newegg. That is an amazing jump in prices.

10. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    Wow...Newegg price gouging already?!?! There hasn't been enough time for the shortage to actually affect inventories yet. That is ridiculous and greedy of Newegg to raise prices already.

Jeff

11. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Does Newegg inventory much stuff? I thought most of the items I bought from them were shipped directly from a distributor.

Successful business base their prices on the cost to replace the inventory. Prices drop and a business has to reduced their prices, even on inventory purchased at a higher price. A business has to charge enough so they can replace the inventory they sell.

12. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    TigerDirect is doing the same thing now.

13. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Even at over $100 for a HD, that is still cheaper than having to buy a new TiVo and be (potentially) locked into a higher pricing plan.....

14. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Me, too! I might have dozen and mine are mostly 2TB.

I had decent luck selling my Time Capsule on Amazon marketplace.

I have a brand new, unopened 3TB Hitachi right 'cheer!

15. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Oh, good heavens! The lowest price for a 3T hard drive on NewEgg now is $277 with shipping. That's way more than double.

16. alansh

alansh Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm pretty sure they don't keep much in inventory. Since the normal pattern is declining prices, they don't want to buy a bunch at the higher price, then have the wholesale price drop next week.

17. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Well then I guess if I have a hard drive failure, I won't be using my Tivo until the prices come back to normal. I'm not going to pay gouged prices!

18. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    All it means is that all the suckers are buying hard drives now.

In a few months, the price will drop again. Heck, wasn't there supposed to be an electronics Armageddon because of the Japan quake? (A lot of bits and pieces are made in Japan)

It's just a minor blip in prices that will dissipate in the new year. Or, if you want to think of it another way - the price of the hard drives now are the same as they were last year.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    They are predicting that prices won't be back to close to normal until June now.

Of course that is probably assuming there won't be any more floods. But this year so many countries have had historic floods, it's been unprecedented.

And I wouldn't say I'm a sucker. I've picked up fifteen 2TB drives during the last 1.5 weeks at a cost of $75 to $80 each(plus tax). The last few auctions on ebay for these size drives went for between $145 and $155. The profit I will make on the drives will more than cover the cost of Christmas presents.

20. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    They predicted that Japanese cars, and electronics parts made in Japan wouldn't recover until the end of the year - there would be persistent shortages of vital parts. We're talking about critical parts too - batteries, car parts, sensors, LCD displays, camera sensors (Sony), camera lenses (Nikon, Canon), etc. All those factories got damaged.

I'm sure Seagate, Toshiba and Samsung would just crank up output - being able to sell drives for 50% more than they were going for in a week is a great way to make money. Especially for commodity items like hard drives.

Heck, the same thing happens to oil and gas prices (another commodity).

Of course, this doesn't mean we can't exploit arbitrage for those suckers who must buy a hard drive at inflated prices. Or feel pity for those who don't fill up their tanks when it's cheap.