Hope for Positive TiVo Improvements?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by atmuscarella, Apr 14, 2011.

1. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
  2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Will the extender require a Tivo subscription?

3. 1gr8ftoy

1gr8ftoy New Member

Apr 2, 2011
    nice, too bad I bought a premier.....4 days ago lol!

4. Mike Pfeifer

Mike Pfeifer What?

Mar 16, 2011
    Chicago
    I wish I got that survey, looks like a good one.

5. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    That's a good question... I should have posed it within the post. Then again, it's possible none of this may end up in retail and the 'extender' is merely a streaming cable box (versus DVR) that cable companies can offer along side a DVR.

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I can't see an extender needing a subscription, but I'm sure TiVo would justify it somehow.

I envision a box that just streams from the main DVR, even live TV if a tuner is available.
    It could also be made compatible with streaming from a PC or other devices, so it could be sold as a stand alone device.

7. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Leaks indicate what we're calling an 'extender' contains a CableCARD slot.

8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That's very weird. So would the point be to be able to watch live TV on the other TVs.. but ALSO stream from the Tivo? I guess that's *sort* of useful.. but if someone has Tivos.. why would they want to watch live TV in normal circumstances? (I watch CNN as I'm going to sleep, but that's the extent of my *regular* watching of live TV.)

9. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    "Hope for Positive TiVo Improvements?"

At this point many might even settle for negative improvements instead of nothing but crickets.:)

10. ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan Member

Jan 6, 2008
    The weakness in Tivo is that it doesn't have a "hivemind" when you have more than one device. We've got two Tivos, giving us a total of four tuners, but we have to manually manage the recording of shows across the two devices to get best use out of the four tuners.

But with a single four-tuner device that streams to the other TV, it would be a better solution; it would manage all four tuners to best effect. And it would still give me full Tivo functionality on multiple TVs: I could watch pre-recorded material. But if I want to watch live TV, which I do not infrequently, I'd still have pause, rewind, and even record.

I've been thinking that, with Tivo seemingly stagnated, that next year I should replace my two TivoHDs with a custom built four-tuner HTPC. If a four-tuner Tivo with streaming-extenders is released (and that works well), I would seriously considering buying a system.

11. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Considering the Premiere hasn't received a significant update a year after release and remains unfinished, odds of Tivo being able to sell me a "super-Premiere" are ... low.

This company needs to finish the products it's currently selling before starting on something new.

12. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Yeah. Don't think of this in retail terms as we're used to. Think about how cable or satellite companies offer both standard cable boxes and DVRs. The "extender" is a non-DVR TiVo that just so happens to also receive streamed content from a full-on TiVo DVR. I suspect retail is an afterthought at this point and if it were me, beyond cable partner distribution, I'd only offer the 'extender' online.

13. Floydian

Floydian New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    What will they think of next? :)

14. bschuler2007

bschuler2007 Frustrated owner

Feb 25, 2007
    I don't foresee even the mythical extenders will be sold retail (except maybe ebay, lol). I wonder if the extenders will work with pytivo and streambaby.. and if possible without a real Tivo in the house. The extender is what I really wanted a year or so ago when I got my 2nd Tivo.

I still fear we are going to see alot of great Tivo development.. but only available on the cable company side. Retail seems dead and all the new ideas/development/requests seem to be coming up to Tivo via cable companies. I think the change from Retail development is mainly because people are used to being ripped off via Cable companies, so there is alot more money to be made.

15. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    Nothing technical stopping them from making an extender for $100 ala an Apple TV.

Overall though Tivo is treading water.

I expect tech companies to make tv over the internet truly happen before I expect great Tivo development.

Tivo is the Flip Video Camera except it had a much longer run.

But now with on-demand tv over the internet and via the cable companies getting better no one needs what Tivo does any more except to skip commercials which I do love.

The content companies should be screaming for video streaming to happen yesterday because you can't skip commercials. Nothing is saved on your end except a bit of the show is cached.

16. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    The content companies sell content, the cable companies and broadcast networks sell advertising. Their objectives and strategies sometimes overlap, but often they don't. The content companies are most concerned with not alienating their distribution partners which is where they make most of their money. You see them experimenting with Internet streaming... but mostly as bundled with service (like Comcast and Time Warner are doing with iPad apps). But it's getting interesting, a real exciting time. Not sure what TiVo's role will be.

17. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Lets be honest no one needs TV.

To assume everyone or even a majority of people who currently use a DVR will find streaming content from the Internet an acceptable replacement to a their DVR does not make any sense to me.

First not everyone has reliable cap free high speed Internet access that can provide HD content to multiple TVs at the same time.

Second some people who purchased large screen HD TVs actually care about the quality of the content they are watching. No low cost streaming service is going to meet the quality of the HD I record form OTA for a long time.

Third some people find it slightly annoying to pay for content they already paid for or received for free from OTA.

I am sure some people will find it acceptable and I am also fairly sure the trend will continue into the future. But I look at this as the same as people dropping their cable or satellite subscriptions. Sure some do but not enough to matter and of those that actually do drop cable or satellite a good DVR and OTA along with streaming from Internet is what actually makes it workable (and yes I am one of the people who has dropped cable/satellite).

Thanks,

18. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005

Who said anyone needed TV? I said no one is going to need Tivo when everything is on-demand either via the internet or cable company. That will happen before any great rush of development for Tivo.

I'm not even taking the cable company out of the equation.

Quality and bandwidth issues are becoming moot points.

I'm sure there will be exceptions like folks in the mountains who get TV via satellite. I'm not addressing those.

I'm just making the simple maybe obvious observation that what as once done by the VCR and then the DVR is now done on the server-side of things. Thus no need for a box in your house to time shift video.

19. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    I know what Tivo's role will be. It will disappear. Obvious as the sun sets every day.

The DVR is now on the server side of things. No need to have a box in the house to time shift for you. That is the not-so-distant future.

I also didn't even limit myself to internet-only streaming. On-demand via the cable company has the same effect.

Many cable customers don't bother with a DVR because of On-Demand.

I'm not saying this happens overnight. But it seems like we are poised for things to change within the next 5 years.

20. rayik

rayik New Member

Feb 4, 2006

DVRs can continue to serve to time shift free OTA broadcasts. For OTA, Tivo serves the same purpose as when it originally came out in the era of cable / satellite with no DVRs.

That is the role it serves in our household. We have completely cut the cord. OTA and internet streaming (using ROKU for most everything and XBOX 360 for only ESPN3).