Hooking up Tivo to HD tuner

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by DCGuy64, Aug 20, 2007.

1. DCGuy64

DCGuy64 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Hi, I've searched the forums for almost an hour and cannot find a thread which addresses my situation:
    I just bought a stand-alone HD tuner and hooked it up to my HDTV-ready TV. I tried to hook it up to my Tivo Series 2 DVR, but I can only get one channel, that being the channel my TV has to be tuned to in order to get the HD channels (in my case, channel 3). I went through the guided setup in Tivo to make sure all the settings were correct, but no change. Now it seems that in order to record any shows, I'll have to tell Tivo to record channel 3 and make sure the HD tuner is on the correct station. There's gotta be a better way. Here's the current signal path:

TV antenna
    v
    HD tuner (RCA DTC 210, from DirecTV, but I don't have a satellite dish)
    v
    Tivo antenna in
    v
    Tivo RF out
    v
    TV (34" Sony WEGA)

What am I doing wrong? :rolleyes:

Thanks!
    Stephen

2. WayneCarter

WayneCarter Active Member

Mar 16, 2003
    You DO realize a S2 TiVo is strictly a SD device -- right??

Do you have TiVo configured for use of a "cable box" (ie an external tuner)?

Does the TiVo have the proper codes to control the tuner?

I don't have any experience with the HD tuner, but tuners output only one signal at a time -- that selected by the tuner. Therefore, there is only one signal available to the TiVo. TiVo works with external tuners by controlling them via IR blasters or a serial interface, if the tuner one. The TiVo's tuner stays on the single channel used by the external tuner - usually CH3. TiVo can be configured to use its internal tuner or an external tuner, you need it configured for an external tuner.

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    TiVos don't know how to change channels on off-the-air digital TV tuners. Don't waste any more time on this.

4. DCGuy64

DCGuy64 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Hi, yes I do realize the S2 is SD only, no problem.
    I haven't set up the remote to control the HD tuner (couldn't find that option in the Setup menu on Tivo). Don't have Tivo configured for "cable box," it's configured for use with an antenna. Should I change it to cable box instead?
    What does stevel's comment mean? I assume it CAN change the channels on my tuner or you wouldn't have bothered asking me about my setup. Sure hope this can work.

Thanks
    S

5. WayneCarter

WayneCarter Active Member

Mar 16, 2003
    I was afraid of that, sounds like OP is SOL.

6. DCGuy64

DCGuy64 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Follow-up question: suppose I want to use Tivo to record solely from my TV antenna, and use the HD tuner with my TV just for "live" viewing. How would I set that up? I'm not interested so much in being able to use Tivo to record from the HD tuner, I just want to be able to switch back and forth between the 2. Can a splitter make that happen?

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Split the antenna source to the HD tuner input and to the TiVo RF input.

PS. You could chose satellite and probably choose proper codes, but probably not get guide data or tune sub channels with the TiVo UI.

8. DCGuy64

DCGuy64 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Thanks a lot for your reply. Just to clarify, would I then connect Tivo to my TV via the standard RCA cords and/or S-video cable? My RF input on the TV would be used by the HD tuner given the split scenario you suggested. Thanks again.
    S :up:

9. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I have to ask - how much did you pay for the Direct TV receiver? It seems like the new TiVo HD was what you really needed for $299 it would have worked great with OTA giving you dual tuners and HD recordings.

Good Luck,